Parenting 101 WTH????

This is a discussion on Parenting 101 WTH???? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NC couple face murder in death of son tied to tree By MIKE BAKER, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 45 minutes ago A couple accused ...

Thread: Parenting 101 WTH????

Parenting 101 WTH????

NC couple face murder in death of son tied to tree By MIKE BAKER, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 45 minutes ago

A couple accused of tying their 13-year-old son to a tree for two nights to punish him for disobedience has been charged with murder in his death, authorities said Friday.

Brice Brian McMillan, 41, of Macclesfield, told a deputy that the child was being disobedient and was forced to sleep outside Tuesday while tied to a tree, the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office said. The teenager was released Wednesday morning but again tied up that night for bad behavior, authorities said.

The boy was left tied to the tree until the following afternoon when his stepmother found him unresponsive, Sheriff James Knight said. Knight said authorities believe the boy was bound to the tree with plastic ties and possibly other kinds of material.

"An adult couldn't get out of those," he said.

Temperatures in the area rose to above 90 degrees on Thursday afternoon, with a low of 73, according to the National Weather Service. Knight would not discuss any details on the cause of death, saying an autopsy was being conducted at the state chief medical examiner's office in Chapel Hill.

The sheriff also didn't have details on why the boy was being punished, although he said deputies were investigating whether he had run away.

Dwight Jefferson, an emergency responder with Pinetops Rescue Squad who was first on the scene, said he did not know the cause of the child's death.

"What we found was a 13-year-old laying on the ground CPR being done by his father," Jefferson said. "Then we took over."

Knight said the boy was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

McMillan and Sandra Elizabeth McMillan, 36, also have been charged with felony child abuse. Two other children at the home, ages 7 and 9, have been placed in the custody of the Department of Social Services, authorities said. Knight said he does not know of any past allegations of child abuse in the family.

He also said he could not release the name of the boy.

The McMillans are being held in the Edgecombe County Detention Center under no bond and are scheduled for a first appearance in court Monday. The sheriff's office said they did not know if the couple had an attorney.

Macclesfield is about 90 miles east of Durham.

___
    Kids are not animals and you do not put them on leashes or tieouts no matter how much you might want to sometimes.I remember being sent to bed without dinner once or twice in my life but It wasn't life threatening
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Sadly, a whole lot of adults can't figure out what is or isn't life threatening. Who needs helmets or seat belts? If I didn't use them and I'm still alive then there is no need, right? Sadly, there are folks who would say: "I'd be alive if I used a helmet or seat belt" It's just that we can't hear their side because they are dead.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

We seem to have no shortage on STUPID, even in so called adults.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I can relate to kids being unruly enough to drive you up the wall even at a young age however there is a limit that you should not go above when punishment comes into play. This is very sad.
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    I hope they fry!!!!!!!!!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I remember a case ... where the parents were fed up trying to deal with a kid who kept getting into trouble. He got arrested for something minor, and the Juv Detention called them to release him to them.... they refused to come and get him, so they had to hold him.

Within 2 days, the parents had "moved" and refused to tell anyone their new address, especially their son. The kid was 15 or 16. The parents never let him come to their new residence, and never told anyone where they lived.

In essence, they dropped him .... and told the State system, you got him, you take care of him. He's was not that bad of a kid at all, seems it was more the parents than him. I was asked to get involved because of it being an usual case to see if I could figure out something.... we found some grand parents that took him, and he did great with them.

Links