NH here I come!!!!!

This is a discussion on NH here I come!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, after a wonderful compensation offer from FPLE to work at Seabrook Station I was not able to take the offer due to no relocation ...

Thread: NH here I come!!!!!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

NH here I come!!!!!

Well, after a wonderful compensation offer from FPLE to work at Seabrook Station I was not able to take the offer due to no relocation package. After 2 weeks of negotiation I have received the following offer verbally to be followed by a written offer Monday:

$5k signing bonus (tax assisted)
    1 month base salary (tax assisted)
    30 days temporary living expenses (including transportation and food)
    FULL household goods move
    closing costs on both ends

Salary is about $5k more a year with six figure potential in 3-4 years.

I'm excited!!!! I targeted this area and this company and was truly disappointed at the initial offer. Now they made good!!

Tell me all you know about the Seabrook, NH area please!!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Well, after a wonderful compensation offer from FPLE to work at Seabrook Station I was not able to take the offer due to no relocation package. After 2 weeks of negotiation I have received the following offer verbally to be followed by a written offer Monday:

$5k signing bonus (tax assisted)
    1 month base salary (tax assisted)
    30 days temporary living expenses (including transportation and food)
    FULL household goods move
    closing costs on both ends

Salary is about $5k more a year with six figure potential in 3-4 years.

I'm excited!!!! I targeted this area and this company and was truly disappointed at the initial offer. Now they made good!!

Many years since I lived there--

Cold and snowy winters
    Cool and very comfortable summers
    World's worst mosquitoes
    $5K a year means very little -- taxes in NH vs. where you are now
    NH is in favor of finding every "new" tax loophole available
    NH politicians will never reduce your taxes .

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Hmm, I was just at Turkey Point this spring... it still astounds me to think that FP&L owns a plant so close to where I grew up. What do you want to know? Your car will rot from the salted roads, if it even makes it that long - New Hampshire's coastline is notorious for drawing the bad drivers out of MA on vacation. I know, I was one of them. If you don't mind the commute, I'd suggest looking into Kingston. I've got an aunt and uncle that live there. In fact, I'll send you a PM with my uncle's phone number - he's a real estate agent, and may be able to help you out. It is fairly sparsely populated - much like rural Virginia, but with fewer ticks, less humidity, more mosquitoes, and closer neighbors. As you move closer to the beach you get into seasonal population growth, and also a lot more weather exposure. The thing I remember most about living in NH was the lack of sales tax, but the oppressive property taxes in certain towns/districts... but hey, you got really good public schools out of the deal (well, better than MA... but that's another story).

You will basically be living right across the line from MA. There is a killer movie theater in Methuen, MA - take I495 south to 213 west, get off at exit 4 (The Loop). There is also a massive outdoors store in Kittery, ME called Kittery Trading Post - don't miss out on this one! Any other questions, shoot me a PM - I'm kind of out of it at the moment, but I'll gladly give you any other info you need.

FPL ? Geez if you make it up here remind me to kick you in the shin..... Those rat finks...

Seriously though, NH is okayish. Taxes are high, but comparable with their neighbors (MA & ME). I believe cost of living in this area is much higher than VA - several friends have headed down that way.

The good things - well there's a decent gun store listed above, NH will get you an LTC easily enough, and you can get a MA nonres without hasle.

NH has no sales tax except for restauraunts and no income tax. Property taxes are not much more than I pay here where I have sales tax, income tax and personal property tax on my vehicles.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Oh the killer will be heating costs.

The local places are offering lockins for $4.70/gallon.... Times 800 gallons a year = "bonus? what bonus?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Oh the killer will be heating costs.

The local places are offering lockins for $4.70/gallon.... Times 800 gallons a year = "bonus? what bonus?"
    Yeah, what he said. That part of the country your only real choices are HHO or natural gas, and neither one is cheap. Invest in good insulation (more than you think you need!), doors, and windows. My parents actually go through 2 cords of wood every winter because it is cheaper than oil to just ward off a chill with a fire... but you've always got the furnace if it gets REALLY cold.

So, Free American... how's the house hunting?

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    What department will you be working in, OP's? I am currently in class for my SRO license at Millstone, but I am very familiar with Portsmouth/Kittery as I was stationed in the shipyard up there for a bit while in the service. PM me if you want any specific information.

You will pay personal property taxes on your vehicles, and if you have kids make sure you do research into the school districts before deciding on a place to live. Some are much better than others.

There is plenty to do in the area, Boston, White Mountains, the seacoast, Montreal's not that far, etc.

Good luck,

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Millstone, eh? I'm going to be at Millstone this fall to do some generator work. I don't have reciprocity with CT, but I was wondering what the laws were about hotel rooms and just having a handgun in general - i.e. is it verboten, legal, grey area?

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Chooie,

I am not 100% sure on CT laws for non-permit holders. It is my belief that you can not possess a handgun in the state unless you have a CT permit. And of course CT does not have reciprocity with any other states.

You can get a CT non-resident permit via mail, that may be something you want to look into.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Hey, it's a shall-issue state in the middle of gun-unfriendly New England. Not to mention the home of the Free State project. Free State Project Home [ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ]:

There's no better place for freedom-loving Americans than New Hampshire... In a vote that ended in September 2003, FSP participants chose New Hampshire because it has the lowest state and local tax burden in the continental U.S., the second-lowest level of dependence on federal spending in the U.S., a citizen legislature where state house representatives have not raised their $100 per year salary since 1889, the lowest crime levels in the U.S., a dynamic economy with plenty of jobs and investment, and a culture of individual responsibility indicated by, for example, an absence of seatbelt and helmet requirements for adults.
    'Nuff said. Good luck with the move and the new job!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Thanks all...the house hunting is going well, they are actually cheaper than here.

Links