For the Beer drinkers in here

This is a discussion on For the Beer drinkers in here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Scratchy- I'm pretty sure that it's 1554. Or something like that. D2Thomas- Thank you. Greatly appreciated. Joe- I've been thinking abot starting to brew my ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the Beer drinkers in here

Scratchy- I'm pretty sure that it's 1554. Or something like that.
    D2Thomas- Thank you. Greatly appreciated.
    Joe- I've been thinking abot starting to brew my own beer. How difficult is it? Any comments or bits of wisdom you'd like to share?

A1C Lickey

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    Joe- I've been thinking abot starting to brew my own beer. How difficult is it? Any comments or bits of wisdom you'd like to share?
    A1C Lickey
    Here's a link to a pretty informative website:

http://www.bob-oracle.com/beer1.htm

Beer stuff and bug-out-bag info....
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

A1C,

Not hard - just time consuming. It is almost as addictive as shooting is, so be careful! (Making it that is.)

You can buy a starter kit pretty cheap at most homebrew shops. Start off using malt extract which can come in a syrup or powder form. Get the biggest pot you can find, a couple of buckets and go to town. Lots of good information on the web detailing the process. There is a good forum at homebrew.com.

My advice is find a local homebrew shop near you. There will probably be a homebrewer's club as well. Talk to some folks and they should be able to set you on the right track. Once you're hooked you'll be spending more money in beer equipment than you'll actually be saving in making your own beer. You'll also quickly be spoiled by good beer and you won't be able to drink cheap stuff anymore. Oh, and btw... cheap beer will quickly be redefined as anything mass produced. Killians will taste like crap, you'll look down at Amber Bock, Sam Adams will be 'so-so', and only the finest of crafted beers will quench your palate. Yes - you will become a beer snob. This is inevitable.

One other thing - if you're married do it outside (turkey cookers are great for this). Your wife will complain about the smell (it smells great to us... but for some reason not to our SO's) and then she will kill you the first time your wort boils onto your stove. I still have marks from that whoopin...

Feel free to PM me for more information.

Team,

Making beer is a great survival skill. When the grocery stores are dry, just think about the trading power good beer will have. And you can grow all of the stuff to make it in your own back yard. (Well, the yeast cultures will be inside... unless you're one of those stinky belgians.) Besides - who wants to live in a world without beer?

Guiness and Murphy's are my 2 favorites. Never cared for the taste of the lighter beers.
    Jim "Doc" Amentler
    Semper Fidelis!

U.S. Navy Corpsman
    NRA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor - Next Class:
    Sacramento, CA - July 07, 2007
    Orange, CA - July 15, 2007
    American Heart Association CPR & First Aid Instructor

Jim,

Give Stone Imperial Stout a try. It's a lot stronger than Guiness and Murphy - but if you like dark beers it's something to try. I believe the Stone brewery is based north of San Diego so should be fairly local for you.

Cheers.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Thumbs up

I suprised this thread went to 4 pages, we must like our beer as much as we like our guns.

Just don't mix the two. :)

McEwan's Scotch Ale -- have a six pack of these and you won't be able to mix anything except you and the floor.
    I tried mixing beer with guns, but the beer ended up tasting like Hoppe's #9.

I tried that St Pauly Girl beer once. Left an aftertaste , with a scent that smelled like Skunk Cabbage

If anyone is feeling experimental, pickup a bottle of Midas Touch. It's not really a beer - it's a mixture of beer, wine, and mead. An attempt to recreate an ancient egyption drink - using saffron instead of hops. A very interesting experience and very cool.

Another favorite of mine is DogFishHead. Most of their beers are high quality. If you can find their DFH 120 get it - very hard to find. They make a DFH 60, 90, and 120. The number refers to minutes that hops are continuously added to the wort during the boil. The 90 will blow your socks off - the 120 is heaven for any hophead.

Guiness, Killion's Red...There is a local micro brewery that does a nice Honey Wheat.

Can someone explain the concept of "Light Beer" to me :chairshot

Well, it's mostly for folks who don't like the taste of beer. No taste - less filling - which means you can drink more in order to get drunker faster all the while paying for the snappy beer commercials we love to watch during the super bowl.

Having said that there's nothing I enjoy more than a 'light' beer after mowing the grass on a hot summer day.

I do not drink a beer that you can not watch a solar eclipse through. Here in Oregon there is beer called Terminator Stout made by McMennimans Brew Pubs. It as full flavored with out being bitter, in fact it has an almost sweet aftertaste.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

Try a brew from Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links