And Yet Another Pit Bull Attack - 6 Year Old Girl

This is a discussion on And Yet Another Pit Bull Attack - 6 Year Old Girl within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don't you think there's a statistical trend here? Two Pit Bull Attacks In Tulsa - FOX23 News (TULSA, Okla.) June 13 - Two pit bull ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And Yet Another Pit Bull Attack - 6 Year Old Girl

Don't you think there's a statistical trend here?

Two Pit Bull Attacks In Tulsa - FOX23 News

(TULSA, Okla.) June 13 - Two pit bull attacks in 24 hours in Tulsa. The first victim was a six-year-old girl Thursday night. The second was a postman Friday afternoon.

The question now, are pit bulls a bad breed or are they just getting a bad rap?

So far this year there have been 43 pit bull bites, three times more than any other breed.

The past couple of years show one in every three dog bites in Tulsa came from a pit bull. But pit bull owners say those statistics don't tell the entire story.

Thursday night at about 8 o'clock, police, fire and animal control are called to North Tulsa after a dog bites a 6-year-old girl.

Then again Friday afternoon, a pit bill gets out of a back yard and chases down a mailman who hides inside a nearby truck until animal control arrives to take the dog away.

The mailman was never bitten.

The little girl was feeling well enough to tell us what happened. “I was riding on my bike and this little boy had a long leash and there was a dog on it and it went up to my bike and bit me.”

But her mother says her daughter was lucky it wasn't worse. “I think it needs to be put to sleep.”

Laura Morris has been a dog trainer for 30 years and owns 8 pit bulls. She says you can't blame the breed for that kind of behavior. “Irresponsible ownership is the biggest key if they've got dogs out chasing kids on bikes getting the mailman.”

She agrees that pit bulls are a physically stronger breed than most, but she says they're all capable of being good pets. “They're friendly, they're outgoing, good temperament.”

Both dogs are now under animal control observation for ten days. The dogs can be returned to the owner. If the owner has been fined, they must pay the fine first.

After animal control takes a dog in for a second biting incident, the dog is listed as vicious and will be euthanized.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

After animal control takes a dog in for a second biting incident, the dog is listed as vicious and will be euthanized.

Why wait for the second time? Put them down now, then round up the rest of them and put them down too. Better yet, add them to the hunting schedule with no bag limit.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Judging from videos of Pit Bull attacks (I've see several)...it's one dog that bites and DOES NOT let go...not that a bite isn't bad...but the aggressiveness with which this breed appears to 'latch on' (without training) and will not let go, distrubs me...it's the one dog I would not trust...OMO

I agree with the OP...there appears to be a 'bad trend' here.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Appear? There is no doubt.

These should be outlawed.

VIP Member
    I don't think they should be outlawed. You sound like a gun banner. With that said I don't understand why any sane person would own one. I would think that supply and demand would take care of the problem, yet people continue to buy them in droves. I don't get it. There is no limit to human stupidity.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I had a dog get out.... and went to find her. I did. At that point, the Police Chief's wife was telling me how the dog viciously attacked her son and bit him.

Now.. this dog loves kids and would not hurt a flea. So, something was wrong with this picture. I examined the dog, as I saw some "blood" on the back of her neck..... I found 2 deep puncture wounds... then I saw a thin board right next to the boy with a very long nail in the end....... with blood on it....

At that point, I went livid..... asking the boy if he had hit the dog with the stick... and he admitted he had hit her several times. I looked at his mother and told her ... "when your husband gets home... tell him I want to talk to him... and want animal abuse charges filed against your son". And, I will send you the VET bill when I take her there to get treated. As far as your son getting bitten .... I think he's lucky I don't beat the hell out of him for abusing my dog .... and that my dog showed alot of restraint if all she did was "nip him" as a result. That's all he had, was a very slight mark on him... no puncture would from a bite. I think the dog showed great restraint as she was getting beaten with a board with a 4 inch nail going into her.

I never heard from the Police Chief... hummm, wonder why... but they did pay the VET bill.

Boxers, German Shepherds, Chows, Doberman's, etc. have all been labeled "vicious dogs" at one time or another, as well as a demand they be outlawed and that no one should be allowed to own them. I think it has more to do with that some people are breeding for the negative... aggression.. and then in the way they are being 'taught' and 'encouraged' by their owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Boxers, German Shepherds, Chows, Doberman's, etc. have all been labeled "vicious dogs" at one time or another, as well as a demand they be outlawed and that no one should be allowed to own them. I think it has more to do with that some people are breeding for the negative... aggression.. and then in the way they are being 'taught' and 'encouraged' by their owners.
    I agree with this. I believe it's the owners who are encouraging this type of aggressive behavior in these breeds. I knew a guy who would always ask his friends to antagaonize his Pit though a fence to get him all riled up and he would never let anyone feed his dog except himself.

I've had chows and rottweillers and they were NEVER aggressive. I always raised them from pups and would always make sure that they never bit - even when handling their food. I have children and grandchildren around all the time and as much as I love my dogs - if they ever hurt one of my babies, I would put them down.

I've always taught my kids and grandkids to respect these animals. My dogs are also part of my family and should be treated as such. I've never owned a Pit, just haven't had the opportunity. It would be sad if the breed were banned because of all the stupid owners.

jp

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I had a dog get out.... and went to find her. I did. At that point, the Police Chief's wife was telling me how the dog viciously attacked her son and bit him.

Now.. this dog loves kids and would not hurt a flea. So, something was wrong with this picture. I examined the dog, as I saw some "blood" on the back of her neck..... I found 2 deep puncture wounds... then I saw a thin board right next to the boy with a very long nail in the end....... with blood on it....

At that point, I went livid..... asking the boy if he had hit the dog with the stick... and he admitted he had hit her several times. I looked at his mother and told her ... "when your husband gets home... tell him I want to talk to him... and want animal abuse charges filed against your son". And, I will send you the VET bill when I take her there to get treated. As far as your son getting bitten .... I think he's lucky I don't beat the hell out of him for abusing my dog .... and that my dog showed alot of restraint if all she did was "nip him" as a result. That's all he had, was a very slight mark on him... no puncture would from a bite. I think the dog showed great restraint as she was getting beaten with a board with a 4 inch nail going into her.

I never heard from the Police Chief... hummm, wonder why... but they did pay the VET bill.

All I can say is if you had come in my yard and said that, you would have had more problems than you could deal with. Your dog gets out of your yard and into mine, it does not matter what I did to provoke it, it was not where it should have been. Also, there would not be any vet bills for anybody to have to worry about paying. You might be digging a hole for it though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

From a Vet

I had my Lab in to the Vet not long ago and asked about the Pit Bull because of all the news they have gotten over the past couple of years.

This is what she had to say…

The Pit Bull is actually a great pet that naturally loves people and is great with kids. The problem is that they tend to dislike other animals. This, along with their natural strength, makes them a good candidate to be trained for the ring. Once a dog has been trained to fight it is no longer suitable as a pet and is not safe to have around people, especially small people.

Never having been exposed to this particular breed, I really have no basis for an objective judgment, but, I’ll take the word of my Vet over the media any day.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    From a Vet
    A veterinarian is an animal doctor. They have no better understanding of the horrendous and uncontrolable actions of a wild pit bull than those who are victims. It is laughable that a veterinarian would be used as an authority defend an animal that routinely attacks humans.

The Pit Bull is actually a great pet that naturally loves people and is great with kids.
    Nonsense. A pit bull defends to death its family. It is not good with peopele and particularly dangerous to children.

I’ll take the word of my Vet over the media any day.
    Why? Because she agrees with your opinion? I suggest you review the facts. It is not opinion that pit bulls kill and maim people and target defenseless children.

Pit bulls have no redeeming value as a breed and we as a society should eliminate them entirely.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not crazy about Pit Bulls...but I don't think that they should be "demonized" for doing what dogs do.

Yes, they are big,strong dogs. Yes I know that if one attacks you, you can be in a world of hurt in seconds. Yes I know that they get a lot of fame and notoriety for being vicious.

I am careful around them. In my various duties as a Deputy, I have had several encounters with various dogs. In all cases but one I was able to avoid getting bit, in one case I had to shoot to kill and was consider myself lucky that I was able to do it. That one belonged to known druggies that we tried to execute a warrant on, and that dog had no vocal cords so that it wouldn't bark.

Something else to consider. Since the advent of the Internet, we can hear of every published dog attack in a matter of minutes. That doesn't mean that there is an epidemic of pit bull attacks, it just means that we hear alot more about them than we used to.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    All I can say is if you had come in my yard and said that, you would have had more problems than you could deal with. Your dog gets out of your yard and into mine, it does not matter what I did to provoke it, it was not where it should have been. Also, there would not be any vet bills for anybody to have to worry about paying. You might be digging a hole for it though.
    Amen. I am sorry, if a strange dog came into my yard, my son has permission to do whatever he feels necessary to defend himself from that dog. My son has every right to "strike first" should a strange animal comes into our yard. I teach my son to stay away from strange animals and to tell me or his mother immediately should an animal enter our yard. However, even with the fence, there is always a chance an animal can get between my son and his route to the back door. I don't care how harmless you say your animal is, my son has every right to do whatever he feels is necessary to get the dog out of the yard. Should my son hit a dog with a stick, that is in our yard, approaching my son, then the dog "nips" him, whether my son hit first or second, pit bull, rotweiller, shepard, or chihuahua there will be no vet bills.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Administrator
    Dogs (pits or otherwise) require responsible owners just like our guns do in order for them to be acceptable to society. The breed is widely popular with the less than desirable elements of society. Combine the irresponsible human trash owners, and the dogs natural characteristics, and we have the "Great pit bull debacle" that we have now.

Now that I've said that, I do have a friend and a family member that does have a pit in each of their homes. Both dogs are big babies and are good house pets; the difference is responsible owners that truly understand the breed, and having the means and interest to take care of it properly.
    Most people that have fluffy the golden retriever don't understand the dog they keep as a pet, and the result is an unhappy fat couch potato of a dog. Pits and a lot other breeds can become destructive in other ways. Some will bite, others bark or pee on the carpet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm not crazy about Pit Bulls...but I don't think that they should be "demonized" for doing what dogs do.
    Dogs don't typically attack children and other humans. Pit bulls do, routinely. Yes, pit bulls should be demonized for their attacks. To assuage the feelings of responsible pit bull owners by condemning the bad owners is a disingenuous attempt to mitigate the horrendous damage the breed does in every community.

Yes, they are big,strong dogs. Yes I know that if one attacks you, you can be in a world of hurt in seconds. Yes I know that they get a lot of fame and notoriety for being vicious.
    And they have no place in any community, which is why many jurisdictions ban pit bulls. The breed should be eradicated.

Something else to consider. Since the advent of the Internet, we can hear of every published dog attack in a matter of minutes. That doesn't mean that there is an epidemic of pit bull attacks, it just means that we hear alot more about them than we used to.
    Exactly. It makes people more aware that pit bulls maim and kill people, irrespective of the good intentions of the owners. The fact is that this has been going on for decades. The time has come for this to stop.

There are plenty of dogs that can maim and kill people. There are many breeds that are not well known, unlike the pit bull, that can do far more 'maiming and killing' than the pit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links