Problems at Jiffy Lube, your thoughts please...

This is a discussion on Problems at Jiffy Lube, your thoughts please... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I went to Jiffy Lube yesterday to get my oil changed and get my cabin/ac filters replaced. I give them my car and I waited. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems at Jiffy Lube, your thoughts please...

Problems at Jiffy Lube, your thoughts please...

I went to Jiffy Lube yesterday to get my oil changed and get my cabin/ac filters replaced.

I give them my car and I waited. 20 min later my car is done and the kid/service tech who processed me through wanted to go through the work performed with me. They wanted $45 for the air filters on my 2001 civic. I told them that a year ago I paid $20 total for the filters, I asked him to put my old filters back and I would go to the auto parts store and get my own. The kid did not look happy, but he did it.

5 min later after I had paid and left I went to the auto parts store and for $20 I had me some clean filters.

The problem – I turned on my car and ac and dust started blowing all around my car…
    …that’s right; the kid who worked on my car put my air filters in upside down!!!

The paper air filters in my car sit in a plastic refillable cradle…both the cradle and the filters have big arrows referencing the direction of flow and how they are to be installed.

I can come to only 3 possible conclusions on this matter:
    1. The service tech can not read and is otherwise incompetent
    2. This was an innocent mistake (the car has 2 separate cartridges, so I think this is unlikely)
    3. This was done on purpose to “get back at me” or some other immature reason, either way it was malicious

No matter the conclusion, this is very disconcerting and causes me to question if they did the oil change correctly, let alone mess with anything else. I am concerned because I am going on vacation and will be driving over 1500 miles in a week.

I called the manager of the store; he apologized and admitted that this sounds bizarre. This Jiffy Lube is franchised along with a few others around my area, all the same ownership. I put a call into the GM/Ops person who oversees a few stores. I also got the owners name, no number though. I expect to hear from the GM/Ops guy today.

I am going to tell him what happened and demand that another store inspect my car for free. Outside of that, should I demand anything else? Should I just wait to see what they offer?

What are your thoughts on this situation? Anything like this happen to anyone else?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    Anything like this happen to anyone else?

Nope. When I let a place change the plugs and plug wires on my 03 Impala and it cost me $200, I started doing all routine maintanance myself. Most of the work is rather easy and I save a ton of money on labor costs.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I use walmart after I had a a friend that was manager at one ,so i stopped in and got an oil change and filter change and when I paid the bill at the end I decided I'm never going back to those ripoffs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

On my first shore tour i worked at Sears part time (doing tires/batteries) and there was a Jiffy Lube next to us. Heard alot and witnessed some of the many problems that Jiffy Lube caused.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

What are your thoughts on this situation? Anything like this happen to anyone else?
    Probably done on purpose. It's obvious on those filters when they're dirty which way the airflow is. In the future, you need to perform your own routine maintenance...then you'll know the job was done right. I own an automotive performance shop, and I've heard horror story after horror story about automotive shops of all types. The quick-lube shops are bottom feeders, usually owned by people who have no right to be in that line of business.

As for you Civic, I believe the 2001 was still using the aluminum crush washer on the oil pan drain bolt. These *must* be replaced, or you'll most likely end up with a slow drip. It's probably not worth your time to drain $30 of oil for a $0.35 washer, but you probably want to check it every so often. If it does start leaking, please resist the urge to tighten the bolt -- it's probably overtorqued already, and the last thing you want to do is strip the pan threads.

I would have to think they did it on purpose.
    I'd check the fluid levels to make sure they didn't do anything more damaging
    I use them...due to laziness on my part :-)...but I refuse to go into the waiting room. I stand there and watch what they do.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I have decided what I am going to do when the Ops manager calles me back...

I am NOT going to let them look at my car. There is a shop around here that I trust, I have already called them. I am going to take my car to this shop, they are going to do a once over (They offer a service where they charge 1 hr labor - $90 as a pre car purchase overview) They will then bill or accept payment from Jiffy Lube. If there is any damage that this shop can ascertain is directly caused by JL, they are going to go ahead and fix it as well, then bill JL.

If they refuse to comply with this demand, I am going to take them to small claims court.

To dramatic? Not enough? You thoughts...

I have decided what I am going to do when the Ops manager calles me back...

I am NOT going to let them look at my car. There is a shop around here that I trust, I have already called them. I am going to take my car to this shop, they are going to do a once over (They they offer a service where they charge 1 hr labor - $90 as a pre car purchase overview) They will then bill or accept payment from Jiffy Lube. If there is any damage that this shop can ascertain is directly caused by JL, they are going to go ahead and fix it as well, then bill JL.

If they refuse to comply with this demand, I am going to take them to small claims court.

To dramatic? Not enough? You thoughts...

Sounds fair to me.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Depending on whether you asked for the service up front they should have showed you the filters and asked if you wanted them replaced. I usually do not get any of the extra services, only the basic oil change which includes lubing. I do this for convenience and the hassle of disposing of the used oil. Of course if you want them to change wipers, fuel filter, etc they can do it quickly.

I can guarantee that he placed them upside down on purpose, otherwise he would not be in that position (if he di not know how to replace).
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    , only the basic oil change which includes lubing. I do this for convenience and the hassle of disposing of the used oil.

I change my own oil and put the used oil in a 5 gallon gas can. When it is full I take it to a place that will dispose of it. Because of high gas prices, some moron helped me out last time by stealing my gas can with 5 gallons of used motor oil. I just hope that since it was so dark that night, they actually poured it in their gas tank.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I say it was done on purpose and you're going about it the right way by letting another shop look at it. But like what has already been said they should show you the filter and ask if you want it changed and what it will cost BEFORE they change it. At least thats what they do where I go to.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

I always take my vehicles to a place I can trust. I’d rather pay a couple extra bucks and know the work is done right.

I’d figure the rest of it was done correct, and the air filter was installed backwards, out of spite.

Let us know what the other repair shop says.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I always take my vehicles to a place I can trust. I’d rather pay a couple extra bucks and know the work is done right.
    I always did my own work up until a couple years ago......my oldest got a job at a Tire Kingdom.......that and when it became just as expensive (or cheap) to let a place I trust do it because it'd cost me just as much to do-it-myself.
    Last edited by Scott; June 16th, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Spoke with the Ops guy...

He SWEARS that it was not put in backwards on purpose as the person who worked on my car is the owners son...

...offered me free filters, sending me a free oil change gift cert. and wants me to come by this week so he can personally look over the car...

...he was so nice, hard for me to be mad at him. I do not think I am going to pursue the other shop option unless anything is visibly wrong. I did tell him that if something happens while I am on vacation to my car, they are going to be the first to be blamed...he said he understood.

I just had an oil plug come out of the engine while on vacation. Now I am having to fight with the Honda dealer to get reimbursed for the cost of the towing, engine steam clean, and oil change that I had to have done as a result of the negligence of one of their automotive techs. I cannot believe this happened in the first place and then to have to fight to get them to take responsibility is just beyond belief! So I feel your pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links