The American Revolution and modern times

This is a discussion on The American Revolution and modern times within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 4my son Or I guess the same could be said for a disaster that wipes out DC, However unlikely, a nuclear bomb ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The American Revolution and modern times

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Or I guess the same could be said for a disaster that wipes out DC, However unlikely, a nuclear bomb goes off, a hurricane decimates the whole city, or the scenario of "When Mars Attacks" plays out, who takes the reigns of a runaway stage coach and tries to bring it under control.
    That's a little different. That's Government continuity. There's a somewhat decent introductory report to it HERE.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Are there any Constitutional scholars on here, if the Top levels of Govt start to come to a stand still, IE: the Senators, Congressman and President ETC all get so embroiled in a " not you, me" mentality that they all literally come to a halt.
    That sounds like a godsend to me. If they came to a halt then they couldn't screw anything else up.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm sure not a Constitutional scholar. Now by a long shot. My interest and specialty lie elsewhere. But from what 4myson is talking about makes sense and its a valid concern. I would give it a slim chance of happening, though. The problem with a situation like that is that it provides an opportunity for massive political capitol gains. There will always be at least one person trying to twist the situation to their own advantage - ie. trying to act as moderator. They could claim that they 'saved the government' and spout other lines if successful.

Of course, that's just my opinion on how I understand things work. I could be wrong. Maybe someone can bring up past experiences in the US government where this has happened??
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    That's a little different. That's Government continuity. There's a somewhat decent introductory report to it HERE.
    Thanks

That's a nice read, it sounds like it's in the works, but still a ways off.

This was interesting, probably the last time a President made a move to limit his own powers, I applaud him for it.
    Two months after succeeding to the presidency upon the death of Franklin D.
    Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman sent a June 19, 1945, special message to Congress asking for
    a revision of the succession law. He noted that, in naming his Cabinet members, a
    President chose his successor, and concluded that, “I do not believe that in a democracy
    this power should rest with the Chief Executive.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Here is the problem...common people cannot run for federal office, you need MILLIONS and connections. We are no longer a government OF the People, BY the People. We (middle class, average woking Joe/Jane) are now goverened by an elite class. A group of individuals the pass laws for US to follow, as they ignore them.

We just need a big fat RESET button.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Personally, I'm all for government 'gridlock'....the LESS government does the better.

One thing that would fix the problems coming from DC is TERM LIMITS. If we could get rid of career politicians, we'd be much better off.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    One thing that would fix the problems coming from DC is TERM LIMITS. If we could get rid of career politicians, we'd be much better off.
    We have term limits. They are called elections. Do you support limiting the freedom of Americans to determine their representatives?

I much prefer an experienced person to a novice to do any job...as long as they do a good job.

Well our founding fathers were considered to be terrorists by the Torys and the English at the time and would have been executed as such if they were caught.

Sometimes I've wondered about how a new revolution would go down, after having read Jesse Ventura's new book "Dont Start The Revolution With Out Me". Where would be the tipping point for Americans to say "enough is enough!" ? I think the movie V for Vendetta would be closer to reality: a minority of people would revolt and the majority would calmy sit by and watch tyranny prevale.

IMHO
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    We have term limits. They are called elections. Do you support limiting the freedom of Americans to determine their representatives?

I much prefer an experienced person to a novice to do any job...as long as they do a good job.
    SD, You need to go back & re-read what the framer's intended for our elected reps. They wanted them to go to DC, serve & THEN RETURN TO THEIR REAL JOBS. They NEVER intended to have career politicos like we have today..........

We term limit POTUS.....we should also being doing the same of both houses of congress. I'm all for it & I have one of the best congress critters in DC......(to bad I can't say the same for our senate seat holders.....I have two of the worst Warner & Webb).
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    SD, You need to go back & re-read what the framer's intended for our elected reps. They wanted them to go to DC, serve & THEN RETURN TO THEIR REAL JOBS. They NEVER intended to have career politicos like we have today..........
    They never considered anyone would want to serve for a long period of time. Of course, what you read is not necessarily what they wanted. It was surprising to many the Washington did not want a third term. And Adams was certainly disappointed when we has defeated for his second term. The aspirations of the politicians of the day were no different than today.

We term limit POTUS.....we should also being doing the same of both houses of congress. I'm all for it & I have one of the best congress critters in DC......(to bad I can't say the same for our senate seat holders.....I have two of the worst Warner & Webb).
    I think the Constitutional Amendment to limit term of the Executive to be highly offensive and an attack on the 'rights' of Americans. Elections are term limits. If we do not think our representatives are performing their jobs we can vote for others. Why should the government prevent me from voting for the person I want to represent me?

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    OK guys I am pulling this out of thin air, just some random musings and NO I AM NOT IN ANY WAY SUGGESTING A CRIME BE COMMITTED.

The Declaration of Independence tells us that it is sometimes OK to rise up against the government. The Constitution says we can not do it; it is a crime. Nothing like this has ever been attempted since our founding.
    Shay's rebellion:
    Shays' Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whiskey Rebellion:
    Whiskey Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Green Corn Rebellion:
    Green Corn Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Battle of Blair Mountain:
    Battle of Blair Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Battle of Athens (in 1946 led by some WW2 vets!)
    Battle of Athens (1946) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I like the way VA handles it's Governor. One term. Want to run again? Sit it out till next time. It would tickle me greatly if ALL politicians had this limitation. Unfortunately, some would have it repealed, including our ex-Guv and maybe next US Senator, Mark Warner. (The guy made a fortune in cell phones and basically "bought" the election by waaaay outspending his opponent in campaign ads)
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I disagree. If it really came down to it, I believe that a large portion of the people that the gov't would use to put down an insurrection would not be willing to do it.

As far as what would trigger it? Most likely a change in political power followed by several 'executive orders' that severely changed the way people live their life. The slow erosion of our rights is an entirely different thing, and most likely there would not be a revolution, but there would be a collapse and the strong would rebuild out of the chaos, probably using the Original Consititution, but changing several things to ensure Federal Power could never get that strong again.(at least for another 200-300 years, anyway)
    This kinda sound like our current situation. I feel we are fast approaching the boiling point in America. All it would take is an incident big enough to mobilize the sheepdogs. This could be another terrorist attack, a stock-market crash, or my personal nightmare "Obama wins and some white-supremacist nut job assassinates him", kicking off nation-wide racial violence.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Those tanks, planes, and guns will be manned by Americans. Allot of them would switch sides or not fight. Either way if a real Revolution sprang up involving hundreds of thousand or millions of gun owners our tiny military wouldn't stand a chance. My case in point is me. I'm a Vet, and if I were still in the military I would not fight against fellow Americans involved in a good cause.

By the way when do we start? Just kidding..ok maybe not
    Think wide-spread unrest, not local pockets. Our military might put down local disruptions, but I feel (I'm a Vet to) they would not start shooting their friends and neighbors if it was a national uprising.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Senior Moderator
    Our military might put down local disruptions, but I feel (I'm a Vet to) they would not start shooting their friends and neighbors if it was a national uprising.
    Exactly the reason the U.N. troops can and would be called to prevent uprisings.

That could backfire though. Its one thing to refuse to do your duty due to moral implications. Bringing in foregin troops that had no problems with shooting rebelling Americans could/would galvanize those in the Military to side with the rebelling Americans to eliminate the foreign threat.

Its would be like two brothers fighting against each other. Somebody butts in and they stop fighting each other and jump on the outsider.

None of this is new to those in the places to make such decisions. Its all been talked about before.
    Last edited by HotGuns; June 20th, 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links