Mystery solved

This is a discussion on Mystery solved within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A few years ago while driving home from work I noticed a few smoke like pillars rising into the sky. The pillars were very dark, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery solved

V8 [OP]

Mystery solved

A few years ago while driving home from work I noticed a few smoke like pillars rising into the sky. The pillars were very dark, seemed to just float in the air, and contrasted against the fields behind them. They seemed to be about 50 feet tall and were maybe 18 inches in diameter at the base and gradually tapered to the tip where the came to a point. They were very straight and were not affected by the wind. I could also see the ground directly below them where there was no fire or anything out of ordinary.
    To be completely honest it kinda freaked me out a bit. I’m not one to buy into a lot of phenomenon or ghostly stories and since I could not just pull off to the shoulder of the highway to investigate I passed it off as unexplainable.
    Of course everyone that I told about it looked at me like I was losing my mind but I knew what I had seen.
    So this past week I was pulling into my neighborhood as there was one of those “pillars”. That same eerie feeling came over like before. But I knew there had to be a logical explanation. I stopped my car and looked around expecting TEOTWAWKI, I found the source. It was mearly the shadow from a jet’s contrail that was only visible because the sun was directly over head. The shadow was visible against the blue sky and even the trees behind it.
    So the mystery is solved and now I start to redeem my state of mind with whom I lost it.

So you guy’s got any weird stories?

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I was reading this thread one day about this guy who saw 50 foot tall 18 inch diameter pillars. Oh, I guess you heard that one. J/K.
    At least it wasn't aliens or something. I was ready to get my tinfoil hat out.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    ...And then all of a sudden, an avatar appeared.

V8 [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    ...And then all of a sudden, an avatar appeared.
    Very good

So----were you actually abducted by aliens???

Any truth to the alien probing?

V8 [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Any truth to the alien probing?
    PM sent. Please do not duplicate as information is private and personal.

Oh, great, a UFO thread that the Brady's can point at letting the world know how crazy all the gun guys are.

So far, I haven't seen anything weird, but I have a tinfoil lining in my attic and a tinfoil lining in my car, so you dirty aliens. My defenses are in place.

There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    I once thought I saw a UFO, it had a flashing red light in the center and a row of flashing lights underneath it. A couple weeks later I saw the same thing again only this time it turned, then I saw it was an airplane with a flashing signboard underneath the wings.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    My wife (then girlfriend) and I saw a plane circling around Richmond Airport at night. It was a 747 (can't miss that hump) some of the windows were open. It was on the gas, and off, on the gas and off and flying really low. We jumped in the car and drove around behind the airport trying to see what was going on. No police anywhere, neither of the air bases had any activity going on. So we watched it again, it came in did a touch and go, once it cleared the trees by maybe a 100 feet, it banked hard right and went around for another run. I had never seen a plane that large bank almost like a fighter plane.

The next time it came back through, we were in a different spot and caught some light from the Air Guard base on the side of the plane.

Air Force One.
    I had seen them practicing before, they never flew like that. Someone was getting in some practice. We got a laugh about it just last week actually, and this happened over 10 years ago.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I've seen the same thing. It is very weird.

A shadow across the sky. The one I saw was also from a jet contrail, the sun was shining down the length of it so it was blocking a maximum amount of sunlight and as a result, there was a very noticeable shadow being cast across the shy. It does make you wonder if something might be wrong with your eyesight until you realize what is causing it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    PM sent. Please do not duplicate as information is private and personal.
    V8 - That's probably the funniest thing I've seen on the internet in years: bravo!

If the sun angle is just right, you get some interesting shadows here after shuttle and rocket launches.

-JT

We will ALL be assimilated!!
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    My wife (then girlfriend) and I saw a plane circling around Richmond Airport at night. It was a 747 (can't miss that hump) some of the windows were open. It was on the gas, and off, on the gas and off and flying really low. We jumped in the car and drove around behind the airport trying to see what was going on. No police anywhere, neither of the air bases had any activity going on. So we watched it again, it came in did a touch and go, once it cleared the trees by maybe a 100 feet, it banked hard right and went around for another run. I had never seen a plane that large bank almost like a fighter plane.

The next time it came back through, we were in a different spot and caught some light from the Air Guard base on the side of the plane.

Air Force One.
    I had seen them practicing before, they never flew like that. Someone was getting in some practice. We got a laugh about it just last week actually, and this happened over 10 years ago.
    Air Force One practices touch & go's there...........They're usually there 2-3 times a month. Richmond's runway is to short for 747s to operate from.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links