Condo or House?

Condo or House?

This is a discussion on Condo or House? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We've only moved once since our marriage - from one home/house to another house. We are thinking of moving again - maybe within a year ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Condo or House?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Condo or House?

We've only moved once since our marriage - from one home/house to another house.

We are thinking of moving again - maybe within a year or two and are thinking of not just houses to look at - but maybe a condo.

Can anyone out there who has lived in both give some insight - things to consider in this? Pro's / Con's???

Thanks in advance....
    For God, Family and Country!

Con to a condo is they could regulate 'no semi-automatics' allowed in any condo...etcc....

If you do go for a condo make sure you check all those laws/rules...as well as get on the condo association.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

I've never lived in a condo- but working for a construction company, I have had some dealing with condo associations.

As a condo owner, be prepared first for high maintenance fees. Sure, you won't have to mow the grass and do the edging, but you will pay for someone to do so. Association fees are generally higher than a HOA's fees. Also be prepared for assesments. The association may decide to replace everyone's front door- whether it needs it or not. Guess who foots that bill as an assesment- whether they want or need a new front door or not? I've worked with condo associations on the installation of hurricane protection- which resulted in the assesment of each owner to the tune of several thousand dollars per unit. Speaking of hurricane protection, front doors, etc.- be further prepared to live in a world of uniformity. You may be lucky to have one or two choices of acceptable colors, styles, etc- all of which must be approved by the association. In some cases I have seen condo associations go so far as to designate one or two installation companies (good for us, bad for the owners).

HOAs are bad enough- but condo associations are worse.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

The cons to a condo are the same as those for an apartment complex.......with the addition of extra association fees.

Lack of privacy, noise from neighbors, rules/regulations with which you may not agree, security concerns due to poorly controlled access, limited and unsecure parking, limited and unsecure storage for your personal items, etc......

A man's home might be his castle, but it sure doesn't feel that way when people are traipsing about the hallway outside your door at all hours of the night.

Call me an isolationist, but I agree with Robert Frost...... "Good fences make good neighbors"!

Friend of mine lived in a condo for a few years. Loved how it looked and fought constantly with the condo association. They really can kick you out of your own home if you don't follow the rules.

I wouldn't go to a condo...not even a house in a 'deed restricted' development...a big pain in the butt.
    You'll have neighbors who have nothing better to do than call the association because you set your rubbish out 30 minutes earlier than the 'rules' require.

-Your kid (grandkid) left a bike on the front lawn...oops, better call the association.

-Also, grandkids can only visit on Thursdays...

-Ooops, you have too many flower pots on the front porch..better call the association.

-Oh, oh, you put up an American flag...better call the association, "the rules, don't ya' know!"...can't do that!

-There you go again, you left the garage door open again...better call the association.

-Damn!...you washed your car in the driveway, can't do that...better call the association.

-Guess what? With fuel costs and all, the association dues just doubled...Sorry!

Been there, done that! Never again!

OMO...but speaking from experience!

Stay armed...if it's not deed restricted...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When my daughters left home (I had custody) I hated my big house and all the work that went into caring for it, the yard, and the pool. I sold it a few years ago and paid cash for a condo. Actually, mine is a cooperative, where everyone owns stock in the corporation. Every bit of maintenance is taken care of, I don't do a thing. My maintenance fees are $350 for a two bedroom, two bath which includes taxes, insurance, water, trash, and all maintenance. Great deal. These units were well built with a single level house floorplan, and are NOT converted apartments. Parking and perimeter is secure. The board is very resident friendly as there are only 40 units. One great rule...no renting allowed. I love the freedom.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

We could always hear the neighbors fighting at my moms' condo. I had considered one, but that made me think: If I can hear that, then everyone could hear my wife and I "not fighting." Plus all the ridiculous rules listed above. I'd live in a dump of a house rather than A nice condo, or anywhere with a neighborhood association.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Once I got out of my hoa ran townhouse I decided never again to live under anyone else rules. I want to be able to raise a large American flag in front of my house without any arbitrary rules set by some board members. Condo associations are even
    worst.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    Once I got out of my hoa ran townhouse I decided never again to live under anyone else rules. I want to be able to raise a large American flag in front of my house without any arbitrary rules set by some board members. Condo associations are even
    worst.
    Ask Donald Trump about this one...but he has/had the $$$ to fight it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My first place was a townhouse. The association dues were pretty high, but I had no idea what I was in for.

The Secretary/Treasurer was caught and convicted of stealing about $50k of association savings (almost all of it) and the association ended up with about $20k when it was all said and done. That's within two months of my purchase.

Two months later they determined that the siding on the units was of a particular brand that was recalled. We were way past the recall deadline and would get nothing for replacing it. Despite that, and despite the fact that the siding was about 90% good, the majority of owners voted to replace it all.

My personal responsibility, out of pocket, with 60 days notice?

Almost $8000. All completely Kosher and within the associations by-laws.

And when they decided that the fire alarms were old?

That's right, another $1300 about two months later.

Then the paint was the wrong color... for sale sign was out the next day.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

One word COCKROACHES! You could be the cleanest people in the world, but if your neighbors are pigs....

EW3
    I purchased my first place in August 2007; a condo, so here are some of the things I like about condo life:

1. Numbered parking spot right near my front door; never have to worry about finding parking

2. ALL exterior maintenance is covered. I always hated cutting grass, raking leaves or shoveling snow, so this is a big bonus for me. My deck was a looking a little worse for the wear, I put in a request and the HOA replaced all the affected wood.

3. Sewer, water, trash and exterior maintenance is covered by the HOA fee.

I look at it as having an apartment but with me being the landlord.

Man is that landlord tough! He demands that rent be paid on time, every time!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    Con to a condo is they could regulate 'no semi-automatics' allowed in any condo...etcc....

If you do go for a condo make sure you check all those laws/rules...as well as get on the condo association.
    Before I bought my place, I scoured the HOA rules book for any mention of firearms. There was none. I also don't advertise the fact that I have them, but any intruder is going to find out the hard way facing down an H&K USP45 stoked with Glaser Silver Safety Slugs.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It's a step above renting barely. I'll keep owning, when I can't do maintenance I hope it's off to my
    permanent lot that I bought years ago that has perpetual care or a nursing home.Hopefully in that order.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links