Kids at IDPA/IPSC

This is a discussion on Kids at IDPA/IPSC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone take their young children along with them to an IDPA or IPSC match (not to participate)? Any problems? Relatively safe? Issues with Match Directors ...

Thread: Kids at IDPA/IPSC

Kids at IDPA/IPSC

Anyone take their young children along with them to an IDPA or IPSC match (not to participate)?

Any problems? Relatively safe? Issues with Match Directors and/or other shooters?

Thanks,

-JT

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Since my son is one, he hasn't been with me to an IDPA match yet.

But a couple of the members children (10-12 years old) come and watch, they stay behind the firing line. Never caused any problems, except that a couple of the guys have to watch their language
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

There are usually a few kids at our local USPSA matches. They have their eyes and ears on and stay back where it is safe.

They are welcome around here.

Dave

Took my 11yo with me Saturday. He didnt shoot (boy does he want to now though). I instructed him to watch and listen carefully to the commands and procedures. He sat most of the time but would frequently walk the range and help taping and brass. He even pointed out one guy had a pretty bad grip on his pistol (proud dad moment).

Anyway, make sure your little ones have eyes and ears and know what to expect, I would imagine all would be well.

Thanks for the responses, all.

-JT

Mine is 8 and I take him to IPSC matches once in a while. Never leave him with the "group of kids" unatended and make sure eye/ear protection fits (just because the gear is "kids size" it doesn't actually mean it fits every child the right way).

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Some of our spectators have also had kids as young as 6 or so with them. I don't think I have seen a shooter bring a kid younger than about 12 (unless there was a spouse/friend to stay with the kid).

No problems whatsoever with any spectators of any age that I have run across at our club.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Had some kids at the range at our last IDPA match.... They decided to walk up and over a berm to see what was happening on the other side..... DUH what would you expect?

Parents should be keeping them on a short leash. Or possibly just tied to a bench.

I've taken my 7 year old boy to a couple matches for a short period but only to watch. I also took him and the 2 year old girl last month but again only to watch.

I would not bring them to a match I'm participating in without my wife to supervise. I trust the boy but even so....

I haven't seen too many other kids at the few IPDA events I've been to but the event organizers have been very nice to me and mine.

I'm an RO at my club. We have three different people that bring their kids to matches.

The youngest is maybe five.

The kids are well behaved, stay in the back. Depending on the "wait time" for a stage, I will usually let them go for the walk through with their Dads.

I also keep my Kel-Tec Sun2000 in the car in case one of them wants to try it on another bay, again conditions dependant...the kids seem to like the KelTec for it's "coolness" factor.

I look at it like this: They are the next generation. I can be the mean man that wouldn't let him watch and sour it for him, or I can be the nice guy that made me feel welcome.
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

Links