Do you fear law enforcement officers?

This is a discussion on Do you fear law enforcement officers? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As a LEO for 25 years, sometimes is the everyday citizen that worries me, but then we all have our bad days......both the citizens and ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you fear law enforcement officers?

As a LEO for 25 years, sometimes is the everyday citizen that worries me, but then we all have our bad days......both the citizens and LEO's.....but as in life.....the are good citizens and bad ones......just as there are good LEO's and bad ones......it just pays to be careful no matter what side you are on.
    Basic rights and freedoms are not granted by the government in exchange for good behavior. They are by ours right, God given and unalienable, which means that no government may take them away, for any reason, under any circumstance..

David Horowitz

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensong View Post
    As a LEO for 25 years, sometimes is the everyday citizen that worries me, but then we all have our bad days......both the citizens and LEO's.....but as in life.....the are good citizens and bad ones......just as there are good LEO's and bad ones......it just pays to be careful no matter what side you are on.
    Well said.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Yes, I fear them. Not because I've done anything wrong, but because I've have friends that have been wrongly accused. One can't get his CCW because of it, even though it was ridiculously obvious he was innocent and was never charged. But because of the accusation, had to get rid of his guns. I fear because in today's society, you are guilty until proven innocent more often than the other way around.

That being said, I have many friends that are cops and they are great people. I respect cops and am not anti-cop. Experience has just taught me that some are just jerks by nature and need to prove something to someone (just like any other profession). So when I'm being followed by a cop, I tense up.

I fear anyone with the power to suspend my civil liberties instantly. Whether or not the LEO in question is right or wrong, just the fact that they can do it on a whim should give anyone a moment of pause.

With that being said, I have many friends who are LEOs and they will be the first to tell you exactly what I have shared here.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Just a little "insider" perspective(IME): most LE view people with some degree of mistrust- people are dangerous and foolish. Much of this is nature, some is nurture. Most EMS view people as children- usually foolish, occasionally dangerous. Fire is happy to save you or fight you, whatever you want.

Having said that, anyone in one of the above services can change your life, as you know it, in very bad ways and document it in perfect legality. FWIW...

I don't fear them but I know my rights and won't be bullied or coerced into giving them up either
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't trust most, fear some (the corrupted ones - as they can ruin your whole life) and respect very few; I still obey the law, but not because theres a LEO watching over. You should add a poll to get a better feel from the non posters.

VIP Member

Ah, but I've not had a bad experience with a chl holder

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Obviously, the word substitution is mine. That being said, with my little change, is it still a reasonable and acceptable assumption to make? When I interact with somebody who is a CCW permit holder, I automatically give them the benefit of the doubt as to basic character and intent. I do the same with LEO's.
    Gonzo
    Ah, but I've not had a bad experience with a chl holder. And a chl holder doesn't have the authority or power over me that a cop would.

The whole experience with the drunk driving accident I mentioned really showed me how corrupt they can be in a group, and when the circumstances are right.

Of course that is true of almost everyone in society, but then "everyone" isn't investigating a drunk driver who has just hit me.

Experience is a good teacher, and my experience--though 5 decades ago-- was not a good one.

Similarly, in the three incidents I mentioned, the officers were merely acting as bullies, and not doing an honest job.

1) An honest job would have resulted in the immediate arrest of the drunk driver and PI passenger. And a fictitious occupant would never have been "invented" from thin air if the police report were not monkeyed with. Fortunately for us there was a very good witness who told the correct story to the insurance company investigators for the other side, and the case disappeared quickly thereafter.

2) The officer who stopped our diving group might have at least had the courtesy to consider whether or not permission had been granted by the property owner; which it was, but assumed we were trespassing and would not hear otherwise.

3) I have no idea what the guy was yelling about. Sane? I doubt it.
    (Of course two of the three incidents were in NYC, and that is a special case for just about everything.)
    Last edited by Hopyard; June 18th, 2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: removed a word "not" for clarity and correct meaning

I live in NYC I'll leave it at that...bury me in Armani

The officers that seem normal to me (don't take offense), no not at all. I've been involved in accidents, witnessed accidents and other events that required reports and have had no problem at all. We're all just people doing what needs to be done to finish the paperwork.

On the other hand, when I hear an officer doing the tough thing I do get nervous. I understand that there are many reasons that an officer may escalate to that attitude, but it still makes me nervous. When I'm around an officer doing that, my assumption is that the officer considers EVERYONE a threat and guilty until proven otherwise. I do my best to stay clear of that kind of stuff. I don't want to get caught up in someone's bad day.

The officers that are opinionated and lecturers also give me the willies. You know the ones I'm talking about. The finger shakers. The ones that want to tell you how to run your life, they ASSUME you are something your not.

I've been in earshot and heard some off the wall things spouted by officers that I'm pretty sure are not correct.

Being a law abiding person I don't get a lot of direct contact, but some of the things I've seen and heard make me wonder and make me a little nervous and suspicious as well.

And finally, any LEO executing a no knock warrant at my home would make me nervous, very nervous

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ah, but I've not had a bad experience with a chl holder.

Ah, but I have. Two, in fact. So, should I judge all CCW holders based on those two?
    Gonzo
    PS - I don't. I recognize that people are individuals. Some folks don't.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member

Be honest, I bet it does affect your reaction to a holder

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Ah, but I have. Two, in fact. So, should I judge all CCW holders based on those two?
    Gonzo
    PS - I don't. I recognize that people are individuals. Some folks don't.
    Be honest, I bet it does affect your reaction to a CHL holder.
    I'm assuming you are an LEO and have had two bad incidents with CHL holders. I bet somewhere deep down you are going to be more cautious and maybe a little less friendly next time someone shows you their CHL.

There are just enough well publicized incidents of gross abuse, and enough everyday experience (if you ask people as the OP here did), for folks in LEO to be viewed with caution by the general population.

That doesn't mean at all that 99+% aren't just absolutely fine upstanding people. And just because I have cited 3 unfortunate incidents, I could just as well cite the good guy I talked to in CT (I'm in TX) who caught some teens stealing my copper plumbing from property I have back east.

That is why I started my initial comment on this topic with the caution that I have conflicted views here. I've seen both sides.

And if you are honest as a person, there is at least some chance that you feel likewise when you are out of your district, out of uniform, and you see those flashing lights behind you on the highway,.

Dad is a semi-retired deputy (at age 70)

older Bro was a deputy/detention officer (Jail Commander)

I was a Paramedic for a decade - and there were many calls we pulled up on where a cop was doing CPR or applying pressure on a bleeder etc

do I fear them? No

Are there bad cops? sure, but they usually don't last that long - the rest seem to weed them out...

Gonz, Thug, Sixto and the rest of you - Thank you for your service - we do not pay you guys (and gals) enough

Senior Moderator
    Do you fear law enforcement officers?
    Only the stupid ones.

and the ones that are less than 5' 5" I watch like a hawk....
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

NO

Plain and simple. If am going over the speed limit I worry about getting a ticket but I don't fear the officer, I fear the amount of the fine.
    NRA Member

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links