Do you fear law enforcement officers? - Page 4

Do you fear law enforcement officers?

This is a discussion on Do you fear law enforcement officers? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Be honest, I bet it does affect your reaction to a CHL holder. I'm assuming you are an LEO and have ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you fear law enforcement officers?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Be honest, I bet it does affect your reaction to a CHL holder.
    I'm assuming you are an LEO and have had two bad incidents with CHL holders. I bet somewhere deep down you are going to be more cautious and maybe a little less friendly next time someone shows you their CHL.
    The honest answer is...you are incorrect. I still feel the same way I did before I dealt with these two idiots (one male...one female). I still believe that 99% of permit holders are not only good back-up in a bad situation, but they are folks who are willing to go to some trouble and expense to do something legally that a lot of people do illegally anyway...for free. So, no, it has not affected my reaction to permit holders at all. The two morons I dealt with were morons before they got their permits, they are still morons, and they will always be morons. They were simply legally armed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    And if you are honest as a person, there is at least some chance that you feel likewise when you are out of your district, out of uniform, and you see those flashing lights behind you on the highway,.
    Absolutely. When I see blue lights in my rear view (or a patrol car sitting in the median), I get the "weak knees". But not because I fear them or think they are corrupt. It is because I'm usually speeding and I don't want to get a ticket. In other words, a guilty mind.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Only the stupid ones.
    So you fear supervisors?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    and the ones that are less than 5' 5" I watch like a hawk....
    Short people got...no reason...short people go...no reason....
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Sorry, JD...I've said my piece and I know there is no changing some folks mind. I'm stubborn myself that way. I'll back out quietly now and leave the thread to others. Did not mean to hog the soapbox.
    gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

No I do not fear them, But I do not trust them.
    02PSD4ME

Senior Moderator
    So you fear supervisors?

Beleive it or not I actually have no complaints. I am fortunate to have decent ones.

There are two extremley short cops in our dept. One of them is dumber than a rock, but he thinks he is the smartest human being that ever walked. We have had words about the way he treats people. He avoids me now, because he knows that I can and will stomp his tail into oblivion at the drop of a hat.

With the ego that the other one displays, you would think he was 10 feet tall. I personally think he was an abused stepchild. The only way he could get a puppy to lick he face is if strung a pork chop around his neck. He carries a chip on his shoulder and everything he says or does reflects that. He's been married 5 times and has the manners of a goat.

The way I see it...
    when you need "backup" there are only two kinds of cops that matter..

the ones that show up and you say to yourself....alright! so and so is here...

and the others that show up and you say to yourself...awww crap...so and so is here....and then....why me God? Did I annoy you or something ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I commend you for standing up for your friends. I have cop friends as well and again they are still my friends and I trust them at the friend level. However, if its my skin thats in question, I'm going to not talk to anybody but my attorney (who is really the only person) I can confide in without having it come back to bite me.
    +1

I, too, have LEO relatives and friends and I trust them at the friend to friend level.

I also trust them to do their sworn duty.

So, I would never, put my LEO relatives and friends in the uncomfortable position of having to do their duty, in spite of our relationship, by talking about things that I should only talk about with my attorney. It would not be fair to my LEO relatives and friends to do otherwise.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 18th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

About the only thing I fear is an officer insisting on disarming me... (for whatever reason)

While I'm carrying in a Smart Carry :|
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

no

I do not fear I just do not like. And why you ask? As an older average citizen I've learned several things through observation and experience.

1) The average cop is a younger aggressive personality seeking the thrill of the chase and not at all afraid of combat. Just not my kind of person to hang around with

2) The only interaction we average people have is when we get stopped for some minor traffic infraction and then are forced to pay an excessive fee. Not exactly what I would call positive reinforcement.

3) When we do need help you have to count on yourself as they cannot possible get to you in time to be of any value.

4) 70 % of the cops are out to earn enough funds through traffic enforcement to support the 10% in management and the remaining 20% who are trying to solve real crime.

I'm not saying we need to do away with police officers. I'm just saying I have little time for any personal interaction with them at least when they are on duty playing their personal John Wayne roles.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I do not fear I just do not like. And why you ask? As an older average citizen I've learned several things through observation and experience.

1) The average cop is a younger aggressive personality seeking the thrill of the chase and not at all afraid of combat. Just not my kind of person to hang around with

2) The only interaction we average people have is when we get stopped for some minor traffic infraction and then are forced to pay an excessive fee. Not exactly what I would call positive reinforcement.

3) When we do need help you have to count on yourself as they cannot possible get to you in time to be of any value.

4) 70 % of the cops are out to earn enough funds through traffic enforcement to support the 10% in management and the remaining 20% who are trying to solve real crime.

I'm not saying we need to do away with police officers. I'm just saying I have little time for any personal interaction with them at least when they are on duty playing their personal John Wayne roles.
    Wow! I think you have a judgement based on the actions of a very few LEO's. I know several LEO's, my best friend is a LEO and a gun forum I am a member of is loaded with LEO. I have no problems simply walking up and speaking with LEO's. I have chatted with them often about what they carry on duty, what they liked and didnt, what they wished they carried etc. By far the majority of them were very cool about it and made good conversation.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I don't fear them, but I respect them.

VIP Member
    The truth is that 97% are great folks that have a desire to help the community. So, no I don't fear cops. I do dread the day that I run into the other 3%. Like the guy in the "back in America and arrested" thread.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    When I use to get stopped often.I feared deputies as they are the lowest paid and poorest trained in my neck of the woods.Training has probably changed through the years and the muscle car has gone down the road how sad.
    71 firebird formula 400 what a ride ! Never got a ticket while I owned it ,that took some skill and some luck!

Nope. I do not fear the LEO any more than any other person. Some are better than others. Some I have no problems with and enjoy their company, others I try to avoid when possible.

“Their just folks”

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    In general no, despite the large amount they have been in my life (family issues)

Now when I go back to my old home town I will admit it that I do. My last name still is remembered by quite a few, and I have had a few minor issues in the past involving that.

Police are just people like everyone else, good, bad or indifferent. They are not knights in shining armor, but neither are they the Gastapo.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links