Sigh!

This is a discussion on Sigh! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This afternoon - local small club, social deal - raffles, burgers etc - quite pleasant. One item for selling off with tickets was a Rem ...

Thread: Sigh!

Assistant Administrator

Sigh!

This afternoon - local small club, social deal - raffles, burgers etc - quite pleasant.

One item for selling off with tickets was a Rem 870 Mag, full choke. One of the girls was doing the tickets and I was in tow with gun so they could see it. Gun's status - slide open, held on my hip vertical and finger straight out. My normal carry for long arm in a crowd.

One dufus asks -''Whatcha carryin' the gun like that for''?

''Safe handling says I - so how would you do it?''

''Well not like that - I'd just, well - carry it - any old how''!

Probably one of these ''knowledgeable'' hunters who never checks a weapon for clear - his own or anyone elses and is content with muzzle sweep, finger on trigger etc. I attempted to ''educate'' him - but I think he thought I was just some paranoid idiot!

Mental note made - to avoid this guy at all costs - with or without a gun! Safety costs nothing - but some folks just don't get it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I've had the same problem before. When I'm showing a gun, I keep it pointed straight up or if that's not an option for some reason, straight down, action open, finger off trigger, etc. As a matter of fact I keep zipties around just in case.

I've been asked about it three times, once by someone who should know better, once by someone who was genuinely curious, and once by someone who told me I should just carry it "naturally".

Lead Moderator
    yep, I had to wait for a guy in the gun store today while he pointed a revolver down the isle near me. I hate it when someone points a gun anywhere near me, even in a gun store.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Some people just don't understand you must treat every gun as if it were loaded. Every time I pick one up the first thing I do is check the chamber, even if I check it and hand it to someone I sugest they check it also, and I have got some real strange looks for sugesting that. Saftey first never last have a future not a past.

Links