This takes dumb to a whole new level: Durham, NC robberies

This is a discussion on This takes dumb to a whole new level: Durham, NC robberies within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Boredom prompts string of Durham robberies :: WRAL.com Police: Boredom prompts string of Durham robberies Durham, N.C. Police on Friday arrested two men ...

Police: Boredom prompts string of Durham robberies :: WRAL.com

Police: Boredom prompts string of Durham robberies

Durham, N.C. Police on Friday arrested two men in connection with a string of robberies and shootings around Durham over the past nine months, crimes that one of the men attributed to boredom.

Trey Preston Brown, 18, of 2002 Windgate Drive, and Scott Edward Eakes, 19, of 812 Chalk Level Road, were arrested after a search of a home turned up stolen weapons, a bullet-proof vest stolen from a Durham County deputy's patrol car and a stolen Honda motor scooter, police said.

Police Chief Jose Lopez said Brown and Eakes were affiliated with a local gang, but he said it appeared the crime spree wasn't a gang-related activity. One of the men told investigators the pair was simply bored and was looking for something to do, which Lopez said is an indication Durham needs more programs for area youths.

The case remains under investigation, and more arrests were expected, he said.

Brown was charged with five counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon, four counts of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, eight counts of discharging a weapon into occupied property and one count each of attempted armed robbery, simple assault and injury to personal property.

Eakes was charged with four counts each of aiding and abetting robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit armed robbery and one count each of assault by pointing a gun, possession of a weapon of mass destruction and possession of stolen property.

The charges were linked to a Jan. 12 robbery on Watts Street and attempted robbery on Woodrow Street at Oval Drive, an April 27 theft on Iredell Street, May 21 robberies on Perry Street and Dacian Avenue at Watts Street, and a May 24 robbery on Ninth Street and a May 24 shooting on McBenson Place.

Both men were being held Friday in the Durham County Jail.

Since last fall, police had received numerous reports of robberies by two men driving a silver Toyota 4Runner sport utility vehicle, Lopez said. Tips were called into investigators about the robbers, including a partial license plate number for the SUV, he said.

That led investigators early Friday to search a home, where they recovered a rifle and pistol stolen from a Durham residence, a pistol stolen from a Louisburg residence, a sawed-off, double-barreled shotgun, the bullet-proof vest and the scooter, Lopez said.

Charges also were pending against the pair in connection with shooting at a Durham Area Transit Authority bus on March 6 near Northgate Mall, Lopez said. More than a dozen people were on the bus at the time, but no injuries were reported.
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

Needs more programs for youth? Yeah, I'm sure that would have stopped them. Sheesh, talk about a society full of victims. I'm sure they were just misunderstood and never given a fair chance.

Who theshoots at a bus because they are bored?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I once shot at a store window in Downtown Dallas, as a kid, but now as an adult I'd add that I was not only bored but that I was stupid.

And Dallas at the time had plenty of youth programs, and Kerb you are right in that it wouldn't have stopped them from doing it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timor View Post
    Police: Boredom prompts string of Durham robberies :: WRAL.comscooter, police said.

Police Chief Jose Lopez said Brown and Eakes were affiliated with a local gang, but he said it appeared the crime spree wasn't a gang-related activity. One of the men told investigators the pair was simply bored and was looking for something to do, which Lopez said is an indication Durham needs more programs for area youths.
    When I was a young person, those youth programs were called JOBS.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Well, now they will have something to do.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member

Bored teens cause robberies

Durham, N.C. Police on Friday arrested two men in connection with a string of robberies and shootings around Durham over the past nine months, crimes that one of the men attributed to boredom.

Trey Preston Brown, 18, of 2002 Windgate Drive, and Scott Edward Eakes, 19, of 812 Chalk Level Road, were arrested after a search of a home turned up stolen weapons, a bullet-proof vest stolen from a Durham County deputy's patrol car and a stolen Honda motor scooter, police said.
    It never fails to amaze me at the excuses criminals use.

The rest of the story here Police: Boredom prompts string of Durham robberies :: WRAL.com

How about a job for those two dolts? Breaking rocks with a 9 pound sledge.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Keep in mind some people in Durham keep trying to pass a ten cent per bullet tax on all ammunition to pay for shooting victims.

Not the brightest bunch of leaders we have.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Keep in mind some people in Durham keep trying to pass a ten cent per bullet tax on all ammunition to pay for shooting victims.

Not the brightest bunch of leaders we have.
    Wow I didnt hear that one, I say pretty close to Durham. I live in the Brier Creek rea
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I'll bet that these two ARE about to enter a program for the Durham area's special youth...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    When I was a young person, those youth programs were called JOBS.
    Or maybe he could study, get good grades, and later get a good job and lead a productive life.
    Or maybe he's the school valedictorian and I don't know what I'm talking about.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member
    Amazing! I just got off the plane from spending a week in the Butner area and the young fellas I met were very polite and helpful. Then again I met them working so that explains a lot.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Well, no time for boredom in prison when you are someone's little sweetheart.
    NRA Member

Links