12-Year-Old Grounded for Too Much Internet Use Gets Punishment Overturned in Court

12-Year-Old Grounded for Too Much Internet Use Gets Punishment Overturned in Court

This is a discussion on 12-Year-Old Grounded for Too Much Internet Use Gets Punishment Overturned in Court within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Canadian court has overturned a father's punishment for his daughter after she refused to stay off the Internet, his attorney said Wednesday. The girl, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12-Year-Old Grounded for Too Much Internet Use Gets Punishment Overturned in Court

A Canadian court has overturned a father's punishment for his daughter after she refused to stay off the Internet, his attorney said Wednesday.

The girl, 12, took her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on Web sites and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer, AFP reported.

The punishment was for the girl's "own protection," according to the father's attorney, Kim Beaudoin, who is appealing the ruling.

"She's a child," Beaudoin told AFP. "At her age, children test their limits and it's up to their parent to set boundaries. I started an appeal of the decision today to reestablish parental
    authority, and to ensure that this case doesn't set a precedent."

Otherwise, she continued, "Parents are going to be walking on egg shells from now on."

According to court documents, the girl's Internet usage was the latest in a rash of disciplinary problems. But Justice Suzanne Tessier, who was presiding over the case, found the punishment too severe.

How dare the courts get involved in this. It's not like he beat the child or something (although that might be my next step). I truly believe this judge overstepped her boundary.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Canada, man. Enough said.

I agree the judge overstepped his bounds, and he needs a whopping just as bad as the girl.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I can't believe there was a court willing to hear such a thing in the first place.

I'd say that about sums it up.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I woulda told the judge you wanta be the parent good you raise her
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would have spank her good and proper and if child protection wanted to remove her from my custody for her own protection, I would let them and told her goodbye. Let's see how she likes growing up in a foster home.
    NRA Member

The Judge should be "sanctioned" .... which is a nice warning that if he does something that stupid again, he'll be removed from the bench.

But Justice Suzanne Tessier, who was presiding over the case, found the punishment too severe.
    I think the judge was a woman.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    A friend of mine had an issue with his 18 year old daughter and the internet.He told her no internet after midnight.She replied,"I am 18,an adult".He replied to his daughter with this,"you live in my house,you eat my food,if you want to be an adult and do as you wish,get your own house and pay your own bills".He won.

Assuming this is a true story. How does a 12 year old have the resources to take her father to court? At 12 the only court I knew was the one with a hoop on either end of it.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

???????????????????????!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Assuming this is a true story. How does a 12 year old have the resources to take her father to court? At 12 the only court I knew was the one with a hoop on either end of it.
    I am thinking the same thing, but this is Canada. If they have free health care, maybe they have free legal aid.

Let's assume it is true. I would pack up my daughter's stuff and haul her and her stuff and dump them on the front lawn of the judge with a note stating, "Here. She is yours now."
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

A little more on this:

globeandmail.com: Parental stalemate

Parental stalemate
    From Saturday's Globe and Mail

June 20, 2008 at 7:58 PM EDT

A Quebec judge's order that a 12-year-old Gatineau girl be allowed to go on a school trip, over her father's objections, looks ridiculous on the face of it, but there are complicating factors that suggest the judge was simply trying to protect the child's interests from being submerged beneath a stalemate between divorced parents.

This was not, as it seemed at first, a matter of undermining parental authority. In Quebec law, decision-making power over matters of importance in a child's life is shared by the separated parents. The parents, divorced for 10 years, could not agree on whether their daughter should be permitted to go on her elementary school's three-day graduation trip. The father said he was withholding permission to punish her for posting inappropriate photos of herself on an Internet dating site, and he is the custodial parent. But her mother said she could go, and the girl has been living with her mother since May.

Was this a question a court should be dealing with? In an ideal world, no. It is absurd and destructive to the child that the parents could not resolve the matter on their own. This girl's family had been before the court for quite some time, which suggests a continuing conflict; she had for some time been represented by a government-appointed lawyer, which suggests a continuing need to protect her interests.
    Was the father really punishing her for her Internet violation a month ago, or was he trying to hold a kind of veto power over her life? The answer is not publicly known, partly because Quebec family courts are private; the media are not allowed inside, and Madam Justice Suzanne Tessier of the Quebec Superior Court made an oral ruling, not a written one.

The girl contended that her father had expelled her, which if true (he denied it) would undermine his authority to refuse permission for the trip. An unusual feature of this case is that the child brought the legal motion herself. Unusual though it is, it also seems unjust that the girl should have been denied a graduation trip because her parents could not agree. Judge Tessier appears to have had the girl's interests at heart in a difficult situation.
    Last edited by FN1910; June 21st, 2008 at 09:30 AM.

Sad facts. I'd say the parent's war has spilled over onto their daughter, and she will forever pay the price. I was originally going to opine the parents had already failed, if they have that little control over a 12 year old, but it appears the parents are failing the child in more ways than one.....

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Ditto. In my book---way too stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links