Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder - Page 2

Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder

This is a discussion on Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are a couple of scenarios that make it a little more believable that he killed her in my opinion, IF he had the intent ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder

There are a couple of scenarios that make it a little more believable that he killed her in my opinion, IF he had the intent from the beginning.

1. He could have disabled or made unavailable his alternate second stage so she could not get to it to use it....for instance, shoving it under his weight belt or into his BCD might make it impossible for her to retrieve it from him to use it.

2. He may not have turned off her tank at all, he may have removed her second stage from her mouth and pulled it behind her away from where she could get to it. We are taught a couple of methods of retrieving a loose second stage, but if someone yanked it from your mouth and wrapped it around your tank, sweeping or reaching may not get it to you in time. While she was trying to retrieve it, he could have also removed her alternate second stage and pulled it out of her reach as well. I wonder if he might have attacked her from behind, holding her regulators away from her while she struggled to find them, and in the process as she was reaching for her octopus, she knocked off his mask.

3. After she becomes unresponsive, if she had a newer BCD, he could have pulled a ripcord valve string and let air out of her BCD, causing her to sink.

This scenario is just an idea, I'm not saying it happened, but in this fashion, he could disable her air and not present his own air source to her.

One statement he made was he had to surface after entering the water because his dive computer wasn't reading right because the batteries were in backwards,that was a lie because if the batteries are in backward the dive computer won't even turn on,he used it to seperate him and his wife from the other divers so they wouldn't be around,when you start looking at all the inconsistencies he told other divers around him and cops it points to guilt,one diver he told a story too looked right at him and told him he was lieing there is no way that could of happened
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Anyone who saw the TV show and the footage mistakenly catching her at the bottom while Hubby swims to the top.....knows what I mean. Aust. NP did a good reenactment and took their time making sure this was a good arrest. Hope he spends alot of years in an Aussie cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Eirerogue View Post
    Anyone who saw the TV show and the footage mistakenly catching her at the bottom while Hubby swims to the top.....knows what I mean. Aust. NP did a good reenactment and took their time making sure this was a good arrest. Hope he spends alot of years in an Aussie cell.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about these guys crossed their T's and dotted their I's before they charged him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Having finally seen the footage on this just last night, I'm still not convinced that it went down the way they think it did. I DO see where it is possible that it could have happened that way, but like chickdiver, I think it would be far more difficult to have turned off her air while facing her in a bear hug. The re-enactment shows the "victim" doing very little to fight for life and air, and doing NOTHING that people are trained to do in an out-of-air situation. Yes panic does impede rational thought, however, if there is an alternate air source within reach, panic would have caused her to go for it, and no matter how big he is, no-one just gives up and drowns. If he was face to face with her, she would have fought like crazy to get air, because she knows that HE HAS SOME.

I still believe that turning off her tank (or pulling her regulators away from her while behind her---although I now think this more unlikely) then coming around to get face to face with her after her struggling was beginning to subside, and THEN being seen by the other diver seems more plausible. The tank valve is most likely the culprit, as he only had to insure she could not get to his alternate second stage.

He could also have released air from her BCD causing her to have negative bouyancy, and with her tank off, she could not surface on her own.

Very disturbing...and the speculation about this at our dinner table last night makes my wife even more leary about diving, since it also highlights the possible outcomes of equipment failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links