Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder

This is a discussion on Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Money will make people do terrible things. Bridegroom Gabriel Watson charged with wife's scuba-dive murder - Times Online Bridegroom Gabriel Watson charged with wife's scuba-dive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Ugly: Bridegroom charged with wife's scuba-dive murder

Money will make people do terrible things.

Bridegroom Gabriel Watson charged with wife's scuba-dive murder - Times Online

Bridegroom Gabriel Watson charged with wife's scuba-dive murder

An American tourist was charged with murder yesterday for allegedly drowning his bride of 11 days on a scuba diving trip on the Great Barrier Reef during their honeymoon. Christina Mae Watson, 26, died while diving on a shipwreck near the northeastern Australian city of Townsville while her husband looked on.

Daniel Watson, 31, of Birmingham, Alabama, had claimed during police interviews that his wife had panicked a few minutes into the dive. He said that as she thrashed around in the water, she grabbed hold of his mask and pushed it off his face. He later described seeing her, with her eyes wide and arms stretched out towards him, sink into the deep.

Mr Watson was an experienced diver who had completed a diving rescue course and was acting as a “dive buddy” for his wife, who was a novice. Despite his training, he told police that he decided to go for help rather than attempt to rescue his wife. One of the leaders of the dive trip pulled Mrs Watson to the surface, but attempts to resuscitate her failed.

The incident in October 2003 was captured by another member of the dive party who stopped to photograph his dive buddy with an underwater camera. In the background Mrs Watson can be seen in the murky depths as the dive master swims towards her.

Police believe that Mr Watson turned off the air supply of his wife until she was dead, or nearly dead, then turned it back on and let her sink to the seabed. The murder charge followed several months of inquiry by a Queensland coroner, who finally ruled yesterday that there were suspicious circumstances to the death. Mr Watson was not in court to hear the indictment against him and no plea was entered on his behalf. His lawyer argued that there was no motive for murder.

But Mrs Watson’s father, Tommy Thomas, claimed that his daughter had told him before the wedding that her fiancé had asked her to increase her life insurance and change the policy to make him the sole beneficiary. Mr Thomas told the court that his daughter decided to lie to Mr Watson and pretend that she had made the changes.

Yesterday police began preparing a warrant for Mr Watson’s arrest, the first step in what is expected to be a drawn-out extradition battle. It is not known where Mr Watson is living.

The inquest in Townsville heard that police, who believed initially that the death was an accident, started to become suspicious when Mr Watson changed some details of his story.

A postmortem examination found no medical condition that could have explained the death of Mrs Watson. tests showed that there was nothing wrong with her diving gear.

In his findings David Glasgow, the Queensland state coroner, said that the exact circumstances may never be known but there was enough evidence of foul play to justify a murder charge against her husband.

“There are only two persons who know what in fact actually occurred,” Mr Glasgow said. “One is Tina, who cannot tell us, and the other is [Mr Watson].”

He indicted Mr Watson formally on a charge of killing his wife. The police said a warrant would be issued for his arrest and that prosecutors would prepare an application for his extradition from the US.

Mr Thomas, his wife, Cindy, and other family members watched as the coroner read out his findings via a live video link to Alabama. “We’re actually relieved to hear the coroner’s findings. It’s something that we have dealt with for quite some time and it validated our beliefs,” Mr Thomas said.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Just saw this. Disturbing...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

All for a few bucks?
    I'm sure the money won't be needed as Mr. Watson's room and board will be paid up for 'life'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw the whole story on TV and this guys story doesn't make any sense plus they reenacted the scenario with a diver in his wifes scuba equipment that matched her weight and they did not drop so fast he could not have swam down and got her,also another diver saw 2 people in an embrace in the area she was found on the bottom at,they speculate he hugged her shut off her tank valve and held her til she drowned from no oxygen,then turned her tank back on and let her go then took his sweet time ascending to "get help".This is a guy that is suppose to be qualified as a "Rescue Diver".This guy needs to get the needle IMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Sick. I couldn't imagine doing something like that to anyone, let alone someone I "loved." Sick, incredibly sick!

Ummm.... OK- I have to step in here as the voice of reason. Obviously, as this was diving related it caught my attention.

First off- I'm not so sure I buy the "murder via SCUBA" theory. It sounds good- on paper- it's a bit messier in real life.

1. Turning off another persons cylinder valve requires several rotations of the valve. It isn't a quick or easy operation, and it also is not one that another person wouldn't notice. Rental equipment is usually not well maintained- which means the valves are often VERY difficult to manipulate.

2. The vast majority of modern SCUBA equipment has two second stages (what you breathe from). A primary and a "safe second" or "octopus". This is so that you can easily share air with an out of air diver. When learning to SCUBA dive we teach divers to go for the "octopus"- in a real panicked situation the OOA diver WILL rip the regulator second stage you are breathing from right out of your mouth.

3. Panicking people are much stronger than you think. We approach panicked divers from the rear- otherwise they will crawl right up you in an attempt to get to the surface.

4. Having recovered the bodies of drowned SCUBA divers, I can assure you that it doesn't happen quickly or prettily. There is NO WAY IN HELL she just stopped breathing and sank to the bottom.

Boys and girls the moral of the story is that it is a biological imperative to breathe. You WILL fight to breathe. There are numerous other things (not necessarily equipment related) that could have occured. 99% of SCUBA fatalities have the COD listed as "heart attack"- why? Because the deceased had an MI as a secondary occurance to the drowning. The event that caused them to drown is in reality the COD. It is notoriously difficult to determine the actual COD in a SCUBA fatality- and most coroners aren't familiar with the special steps and tests that need to be taken to do so.

I'm not saying he didn't kill her, but I would be surprised if he did it that way.

Heather
    (National Association of Underwater Instructors Lifetime Member and Technical Diving Instructor)
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

1943 - 2009
    The story is 5 years old.
    True, the story is five years old, but the husband was charged with murder yesterday.

That makes the story relevant.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    True, the story is five years old, but the husband was charged with murder yesterday.

That makes the story relevant.
    Yea- I just edited my post a little after seeing the actual news article.

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    Ummm.... OK- I have to step in here as the voice of reason. Obviously, as this was diving related it caught my attention.

First off- I'm not so sure I buy the "murder via SCUBA" theory. It sounds good- on paper- it's a bit messier in real life.

1. Turning off another persons cylinder valve requires several rotations of the valve. It isn't a quick or easy operation, and it also is not one that another person wouldn't notice. Rental equipment is usually not well maintained- which means the valves are often VERY difficult to manipulate.

2. The vast majority of modern SCUBA equipment has two second stages (what you breathe from). A primary and a "safe second" or "octopus". This is so that you can easily share air with an out of air diver. When learning to SCUBA dive we teach divers to go for the "octopus"- in a real panicked situation the OOA diver WILL rip the regulator second stage you are breathing from right out of your mouth.

3. Panicking people are much stronger than you think. We approach panicked divers from the rear- otherwise they will crawl right up you in an attempt to get to the surface.

4. Having recovered the bodies of drowned SCUBA divers, I can assure you that it doesn't happen quickly or prettily. There is NO WAY IN HELL she just stopped breathing and sank to the bottom.

Boys and girls the moral of the story is that it is a biological imperative to breathe. You WILL fight to breathe. There are numerous other things (not necessarily equipment related) that could have occured. 99% of SCUBA fatalities have the COD listed as "heart attack"- why? Because the deceased had an MI as a secondary occurance to the drowning. The event that caused them to drown is in reality the COD. It is notoriously difficult to determine the actual COD in a SCIBA fatality- and most coroners aren't familiar with the special steps and test that need to be taken to do so.

I'm not saying he didn't kill her, but I would be surprised if he did it that way.

Heather
    (National Association of Underwater Instructors Lifetime Member and Technical Diving Instructor)
    Exactly his story is she wasn't struggling as he tried to bring her up she was too heavy and slipped from his grip and she extended her arms up to him as she started sinking but he could not reach her as he was kicking down to get her,her dive instructor in the states said she panicked underwater during training once and she was clawing her way to the surface and until she got on the dock was flailing that is one reason his story sounds bogus,also he could shut her air off and pin her arms keeping her from reaching her backup,another diver saw the diver on the ocean floor got her and during a safe descent to the top almost beat "hubby" to the top this is after he said he was racing to get help,also the dive computer isn't matching up to what he says.once you start looking at all the pieces to the puzzle the guy's story changes and he is basically caught lieing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Exactly his story is she wasn't struggling as he tried to bring her up she was too heavy and slipped from his grip and she extended her arms up to him as she started sinking but he could not reach her as he was kicking down to get her,her dive instructor in the states said she panicked underwater during training once and she was clawing her way to the surface and until she got on the dock was flailing that is one reason his story sounds bogus,also he could shut her air off and pin her arms keeping her from reaching her backup,another diver saw the diver on the ocean floor got her and during a safe descent to the top almost beat "hubby" to the top this is after he said he was racing to get help,also the dive computer isn't matching up to what he says.once you start looking at all the pieces to the puzzle the guy's story changes and he is basically caught lieing

Yea- I can see where there would be some discrepancy in the story- but I trust the newsmedia about 0% when it comes to relaying any "facts"- as they are notoriously wrong about most things diving related.

Oh- and a "rescue diver" certification doesn't mean much. IT's a one weekend course that basically teaches you to deal with cramping divers, and towing a tired diver. Though the course does require practice surfacing an unconscious diver, it's all a staged scenario. "dead weight" as it were is much harder to deal with in the water.

A quick example- they always say divers breathe "oxygen", refer to the "diver's oxygen cylinder" etc. Well- unless you are decompressing at 20' or shallower, or using an oxygen rebreather at those depths- you aren't breathing oxygen. Due to the increased partial pressure oxygen becomes toxic at deeper depths and causes convulsions which lead to drowning. There are lots of other examples of how the media gets things wrong when it comes to diving (just like they get it wrong with guns and everything else!).

It's hard to post every detail on here but I watched the dateline segment on TV where they interviewed other members of the dive party,certified divers with thousands of hours underwater,also the police reenactment of his statements as to what happened,his interview in the police station,a lot of conflicting stuff,also when they noticed activity on the other boat when they brought her up he acted like he wasn't even concerned,If It was my wife I would have swam over to the boat or told them to get me over there in the inflatable.

A quick example- they always say divers breathe "oxygen", refer to the "diver's oxygen cylinder" etc. Well- unless you are decompressing at 20' or shallower, or using an oxygen rebreather at those depths- you aren't breathing oxygen. Due to the increased partial pressure oxygen becomes toxic at deeper depths and causes convulsions which lead to drowning. There are lots of other examples of how the media gets things wrong when it comes to diving (just like they get it wrong with guns and everything else!).
    I'll agree that they tend to get a lot of stuff wrong. However, divers DO actually breathe oxygen. Sure, it's just compressed air, not pure oxygen, but there is certainly oxygen IN the air, that is what we actually are breathing for... to get oxygen from the air.

Anyhow, I find it highly unlikely that a drowning diver would calmly slip from your grip and fall. Shutting off the bottle would render both the main regulator AND the octupus useless. I could imagine a playful wrestle on the sea-floor, a hug and a twist to the valve here and there, more than I could any kind of malfunction that would not show up when the gear was tested.

His story sounds incredibly unbelievable, and the reports of a request to up her life-insurance lends a credible motive. I think he did it, but that's purely based on the limited info we have. I'm a diver as well. I wonder how deep they were? They said shipwreck so I'm assuming it was probably 60+

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I'll agree that they tend to get a lot of stuff wrong. However, divers DO actually breathe oxygen. Sure, it's just compressed air, not pure oxygen, but there is certainly oxygen IN the air, that is what we actually are breathing for... to get oxygen from the air.

Anyhow, I find it highly unlikely that a drowning diver would calmly slip from your grip and fall. Shutting off the bottle would render both the main regulator AND the octupus useless. I could imagine a playful wrestle on the sea-floor, a hug and a twist to the valve here and there, more than I could any kind of malfunction that would not show up when the gear was tested.

His story sounds incredibly unbelievable, and the reports of a request to up her life-insurance lends a credible motive. I think he did it, but that's purely based on the limited info we have. I'm a diver as well. I wonder how deep they were? They said shipwreck so I'm assuming it was probably 60+
    Shutting off her valve wouldn't render HIS octo or primary unuseable. She was close enough to reportedly rip his mask off....

I'll admit I am a nit-picker when it comes to accuracy in reporting on SCUBA related stories. I'm also a nit-picker when it comes to SCUBA based TV shows. 14 years of instruction up to and including mixed gas (trimix) and cave diving, coupled with as many of deep wreck and cave exploration leaves me with little patience when the media is inaccurate.

Shutting off her valve wouldn't render HIS octo or primary unuseable. She was close enough to reportedly rip his mask off....

I'll admit I am a nit-picker when it comes to accuracy in reporting on SCUBA related stories. I'm also a nit-picker when it comes to SCUBA based TV shows. 14 years of instruction up to and including mixed gas (trimix) and cave diving, coupled with as many of deep wreck and cave exploration leaves me with little patience when the media is inaccurate.
    Ahh, I misunderstood you. Sorry, I'm sure you can imagine what I was thinking when I thought you were saying what I thought you were :P haha... Anyway, I totally understand. I work in a casino, and have very little tolerance for movies/tv shows in casinos. Most of everything they show is wrong somehow!

I posted a link to the article on TheDecoStop.com- I'm hoping some of our Australian members will have more info.

Edit to add;

Interview transcripts courtesy of a friend in AUS:

http://static.townsvillebulletin.com...SON%201of4.doc
    http://static.townsvillebulletin.com...SON%202of4.doc
    http://static.townsvillebulletin.com...SON%203of4.doc
    http://static.townsvillebulletin.com...SON%204of4.doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links