Electric car

Electric car

This is a discussion on Electric car within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My son and his buddies showed me this. If this actually works, it will substantially change the way we drive. Tesla Motors...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric car

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Electric car

My son and his buddies showed me this. If this actually works, it will substantially change the way we drive.

Tesla Motors
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    My son and his buddies showed me this. If this actually works, it will substantially change the way we drive.

Tesla Motors

Base price is $109,000.

The technology certainly exists. Unfortunately, not at a price point that most of us can afford. Maybe some day.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Base price is $109,000.

The technology certainly exists. Unfortunately, not at a price point that most of us can afford. Maybe some day.
    +1 on that.
    Also consider the maintanence and up keep on it. How much does it cost to replace the batteries. How much will your electric bill go up on a recharge....
    I'm looking at the Smart Car as a next purchase a loaded model for under $16k.
    smart center Dallas - smart fortwo - Official smart center website – new smart car – pre-owned smart car – smart car finance – smart car service
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I've seen a few around town...not my cup of tea...won't be much left in an 'accident'...OMO...not much safer than my Harley...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've had my Honda Insight since 2003. It's been a great value with 0 trouble. In town mileage, 56. Highway, about 67.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I think it's pretty, but 6 figures is a little out of my price range for something that I have to plug in every 200 miles.

And how do road trips work? If you stay at a hotel you just run your extension cord out to your car? I don't think that will go over too well. Or if you go to visit relatives. Do you just ask if you can plug in your car?

The electric car world has a long way to go. While it is a neat novelty item, I hardly see it as revolutionary. We had electric cars before. We got rid of them because of the same problems that these are bound to encounter. While they may be the most efficient kid on the block, they are far from convenient.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Honda just came out with a hydrogen car, it looks pretty neat. Its for lease only, and the cost to purchase would be 100k., I would imagine that will drop once mass production has a chance to take effect and the infrastructure is in place to support it.

Honda FCX Clarity - Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle - Official Web Site
    "Just blame Sixto"

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    I'm for anything that would allow the US to tell the Arabs to stick their oil where the sun don't shine.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I'll stick with my Jetta TDI for a while. Its 34 mpg in town and 44 on the highway and a price of less than 1/4 of the Tesla make it worth hanging onto.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I have a friend at work who is building his own electric car. He recently bought a small truck body less engine in great shape for $400.00. The entire price will be about $6700.00. There is tons of information about them on the Internet. I'd love to build one also. Maybe someday ....
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I'm holding out for the Chevy Volt, and hoping it ends up affordable. I think they're making a mistake by going with a hi-tec engine. I think they should throw in the cheapest geo-metro engine they can produce to keep the costs down. The engine is only for occasional use for the target market, including myself
    . Chevrolet | New Electric Car - Concept Chevy Volt
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    The problem with electric cars is that they aren't really efficient overall. The energy they consume has to come from somewhere, and generally that means a fossil-fuel burning power-plant.

My favorite is the compressed air car:

YouTube - The Air Car

This, couples with one of these:

Pacwind - Products

Would allow you to be completely self-sufficient energywise. You could even install the solar water heating coils on your roof, and some solar-panels as well.

I like the idea of powering an air compressor with electricity generated by a windmill, that will be used to drive a car. Love it.

Compressing air is a hugely inefficient way of converting energy. There is so much heat of compression that just goes away. That represents energy just thrown away. Batteries have their losses too, but I don't think it comes near the compressing losses.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I'm holding out for the Chevy Volt, and hoping it ends up affordable. I think they're making a mistake by going with a hi-tec engine. I think they should throw in the cheapest geo-metro engine they can produce to keep the costs down. The engine is only for occasional use for the target market, including myself
    . Chevrolet | New Electric Car - Concept Chevy Volt
    I've had my eye on that one for a while. I can't remember where I saw it (Jalopnik?), but it'll be in the $40K range. Sorry, that's a little too pricey. If they kept it around $25-$30K, it'd sell lot hotcakes. Too bad.

After 21 years in the emergency services, serving simultaneously as a lawman and a paramedic, I've seen wrecks from barely-bump to rip-in-two.
    I'm reserving judgment on the electric cars until I see 'em on the road for a few years.
    Batteries are my first concern. All batteries have an electrolyte; most battery electrolytes are either acidic or caustic. On collision these will rupture. Guaranteed, amigos pistoleros, with some of the wrecks I've responded to, the batteries will rupture! -- my concern here is that the patients, in addition to blunt force trauma, will now be anointed with either an acidic electrolyte, or a caustic electrolyte, thus adding chemical burn injuries to traumatic injuries.
    This may also turn the scene into a haz-mat incident.
    I've heard the arguments that "Carbon fiber bodies are very strong."
    Um, sorry. After some of the wrecks I've seen ... no.
    My second big concern is the energy contained in the batteries. Again, in the mauling destruction of a collision, what happens when these marvelous repositories of propulsive power go to dead short? Please don't tell me that's why God invented fuses. Again, in the massive, twisting deformations that occur in a collision, I'm concerned with a dead short on these wonderful new high capacity batteries.
    I'll freely -- very freely! -- admit that it's possible these new electric cars may indeed have these problems solved. It's quite possible that people who are younger, smarter and better looking than I, have these problems solved already, and my fears will prove completely unfounded.
    If that's the case I will be a happy man indeed!
    Until then, my 24 MPG buggy starts and runs whether it's 40 below or 105 above, its quick steering and throttle response have kept me out of two wrecks so far, and I can afford to keep up payments on what I've got.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links