I like his idea

I like his idea

This is a discussion on I like his idea within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tiny Shetland island declares independence By Kate Kelland Sat Jun 21, 12:19 PM ET The owner of a tiny island in off Scotland declared its ...

Thread: I like his idea

I like his idea

Tiny Shetland island declares independence By Kate Kelland
    Sat Jun 21, 12:19 PM ET

The owner of a tiny island in off Scotland declared its independence from the United Kingdom on Saturday, saying he wanted the territory, population one, to be a crown dependency like the Channel Islands.

In a declaration on his Web site, Stuart Hill, who owns the 2.5 acre island of Forvik in the Shetland Islands in the North Sea, said he no longer recognised the authority of the government or the European Union, and cited a centuries-old royal marriage dowry deal as the basis for his claim.

"Forvik owes no allegiance to any United Kingdom government, central or local, and is not bound by any of its statutes," Hill wrote.

Hill, 65, has lived in the Shetland Islands on the edge of the Atlantic since 2001, when his boat capsized there during an unsuccessful attempted to circumnavigate Britain.

He is Forvik's only resident, and his home is a tent on the storm-battered island. He says on his website that he plans to create Forvik's own currency -- the "gulde" -- print his own stamps and raise his own flag.

"There will be no income tax, VAT (value added tax), council tax, corporation tax, or any of the other taxes instituted by the British government," Hill wrote.

Hill's claim dates back to a 15th century arrangement between the Norwegian King Christian and King James III of Scotland when the Shetland Islands were effectively pawned to King James in lieu of a marriage dowry.

According to Hill's studies of the history of the island, in 1669 King Charles II re-confirmed Shetland's status at the time of the pawning, meaning the islands remained directly answerable to the crown -- represented today by the Queen.

"The monarchs and governments of Scotland, and Great Britain and the United Kingdom have for many years assumed powers over these islands of Shetland to which they were not entitled," he wrote.

"By declaring Forvik a crown dependency I am simply re-establishing the correct legal relationship between this part of Shetland and the crown.

Hill said he had written to the Queen offering his services as "steward" and recognising her as head of state.

"I also invite anyone from any country in the world, who supports these aims, namely to become free of liars, thieves and tyrants in government, to become a citizen of Forvik," he added.
    I wonder what kinda mushrooms he's been eating,I can see the invasion to reclaim the island now ,a couple aircraft carriers with accompanying royal marine detachment against a guy with a big stick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Hell, I was thinking about picking up my wife, dogs, guns, and a few personal items and joining him on the island!

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Hell, I was thinking about picking up my wife, dogs, guns, and a few personal items and joining him on the island!
    I'll meet you there! I just need to know if there is a place to buy primers and a tire store to get lead.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

paradise in the uk
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

He is Forvik's only resident, and his home is a tent on the storm-battered island.

"There will be no income tax, VAT (value added tax), council tax, corporation tax, or any of the other taxes instituted by the British government," Hill wrote.
    Living in a tent as sole resident on a storm-battered island of 2.5ac, he might well have no taxable assets or income to worry about. Still, the British Crown can hardly afford the pebbles that'll start the landslide, eh? If allowed, he could become a tax-free haven for, say, the first 25 people or corporations to apply for tent space.

My guess: he'll be ignored or Grenada'ed (or, Falkland'ed).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    My guess: he'll be ignored or Grenada'ed (or, Falkland'ed).
    Nah.

All he has to do is declare himself a muslim and the English will bend over bacweards to give him free reign...kindof like they have done in London, or now what is now known as Londonstan.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links