CNN Tonight- SHTF

CNN Tonight- SHTF

This is a discussion on CNN Tonight- SHTF within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Quick glance looks like a what if the SHTF story on CNN tonight. Show Pages - Special Investigations Unit - CNN.com Just thought id share...

Thread: CNN Tonight- SHTF

CNN Tonight- SHTF

Quick glance looks like a what if the SHTF story on CNN tonight.

Show Pages - Special Investigations Unit - CNN.com

Just thought id share

Here was my response in another forum to the gas crisis and drilling off the coast of Florida.

This is exactly what they were saying 10 years ago and if they had started then we would not be paying $4 per gallon now. I am all for beautiful parks and beaches, thats why I live in Florida. However sending us back to the stone age is not the way to go as the enviro-nuts would have you believe. Oil is one of the most natural substances that we can find on earth and it was put here for a reason. We will never get to the point where we are completely free from the use of oil but that does not mean we should not try other sources of fuel but not at the expense of our food source (corn). I am a scuba diver, although I have not dived in a while. I have no problem with drilling 50 miles offshore. When Catrina happened there were many oil rigs that got damaged in the Gulf but we did not have any oil spills.

All I'm saying is the more of a product you have on the market the cheaper it gets. Because we outsource so much other nations are growing and using more oil so that means less for us. I do not want the spigot controlled by the middle east especially when we have our own source at home.

Rant Over
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Here is a place to watch in the coming weeks and months with regard to energy:

Strait of Hormuz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a nation, we should have been serious about alternative energy sources decades ago...we'd be better prepared now. I fear, however, we'll just keep making the same mistakes....change is uncertain and uncomfortable.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    This looks interesting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Here is a place to watch in the coming weeks and months with regard to energy:

Strait of Hormuz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a nation, we should have been serious about alternative energy sources decades ago...we'd be better prepared now. I fear, however, we'll just keep making the same mistakes....change is uncertain and uncomfortable.
    Been there, done that. Standing at General Quarters (battle stations) the whole time we went through the strait. Big time danger spot to Americans.
    Last edited by atctimmy; June 22nd, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Watched it. Mostly the same as they have been saying and doing nothing about it for years.

Tells me that we need (and should have been doing for years) to drill our own fields, use the oil shale mines and installations we built (but never used) in the 80's, build nucelar powerplants, promote clean coal technologies, develop and increase the use of our vast natural gas fields all at the same time look at new sources of energy.

One thing that hit me was they were strongly advocating electric cars and that all you have to do is plug them in in the evening. WHERE DO THEY THINK THE ELECTRICITY COMES FROM?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Watched it. Mostly the same as they have been saying and doing nothing about it for years.

Tells me that we need (and should have been doing for years) to drill our own fields, use the oil shale mines and installations we built (but never used) in the 80's, build nucelar powerplants, promote clean coal technologies, develop and increase the use of our vast natural gas fields all at the same time look at new sources of energy.

One thing that hit me was they were strongly advocating electric cars and that all you have to do is plug them in in the evening. WHERE DO THEY THINK THE ELECTRICITY COMES FROM?
    Lightning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    How about the sugar cane in Brazil to make ethanol?I have a 2007 Dodge PU that is set up for ethanol.I would have to drive 90 miles to Houston to buy any.Brazil started working on this since the 1970's.What happened to us?Greed?Big oil?No,that just could not happen.

Not only does Brazil do this, but sugar cane ethanol has much more energy than corn ethanol. This has been common knowledge since this was tried once before in the '70's.

Our representitaves, beholden to the eco-crazies, have ignored this as well as development of our current energy sources or any other measures that would help make us less dependent on foriegn sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Not only does Brazil do this, but sugar cane ethanol has much more energy than corn ethanol. This has been common knowledge since this was tried once before in the '70's.
    I wonder if anyone is trying ethanol made from sorghum? Grind the entire plant just like cane. More sugar content than beets, but don't know how its percentage stacks up against sugar cane: not as much, I'd be willing to bet, but surely a greater ethanol yield than grain corn.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Good point, sugar content increases alcohol, so I am told. (not that I have brewed any beer or made home made wine.)
    Last edited by Blue; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: miss-spelled word

Links