You really wanta look before you open the door

This is a discussion on You really wanta look before you open the door within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cat killed in Missouri identified as leopard 1 hour, 11 minutes ago Missouri state biologists say a big, black cat killed by a sheriff's deputy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You really wanta look before you open the door

You really wanta look before you open the door

Cat killed in Missouri identified as leopard 1 hour, 11 minutes ago

Missouri state biologists say a big, black cat killed by a sheriff's deputy has been identified as a leopard.

James Dixon of the Missouri Department of Conservation says the cat was identified by the St. Louis Zoo.

Newton County Sheriff's Corporal Donn Hall shot the animal when it charged him on May 19. A woman had reported the cat was scratching at the door of her home near Neosho.

Leopards are native to Africa and Asia. Conservation officials say the cat killed in Newton County was likely a captive that had escaped. Owners of big cats in Missouri are required to register their animals but the sheriff's department says no one has reported a leopard missing.
    here kitty kitty kitty,kitty what a deep voice you have,what big paws you have,what big teeth you have,I'm thinking little red riding ho should come bee bopping in here at some point
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

So that's where snuggles went...

Administrator
    I often thought it would be cool to have some sort of jungle cat as a pet, but then I realized the cost to feed it would be crazy and bought some zoo passes instead.
    Where does the average Joe acquire such a critter anyway?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yet another reason to carry significant firepower when going into the woods around here. I've encountered 2 bobcats on isolated trails, but a leopard would be considerably worse.

Imagine the surprise you'd feel if when you heard the scratching at the door, you thought it was your house cat and opened it to let Fluffy in.

I'm not sure what I would do but I know that it would require a skivvy change in short order.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I watched an episode of monsterquest last year. It had a guy in Missouri complaining that a large black cat was eating his livestock. He had seen it up close a few times and nobody would believe him. I thought it would turn out to be a jaguar. For those who don't know Arizona (for sure) and New Mexico (I think) has breeding jaguars living there now (less than ten animals total). Most of the Southwest was once part of their normal range.
    Last edited by atctimmy; June 22nd, 2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I watcthed an episode of monsterquest last year. It had a guy in Missouri complaining that a large black cat was eating his livestock. He had seen it up close a few times and nobody would believe him. I thought it would turn out to be a jaguar. For those who don't know Arizona (for sure) and New Mexico (I think) has breeding jaguars living there now (less than ten animals total). Most of the Southwest was once part of their normal range.
    mountain lions are indigenous to north america ,not jaguars they are from like africa
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

VIP Member
    Even a bobcat can make you pee your pants. When I lived in Oklahoma we used to call coyote, using an injured rabbit call. More than once we had bobcats come in from behind. Didn't even know they were there until you felt the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Look around and there it was crouched down. Of course they took off like a bat out of h---! Wouldn't want to have it happen with a bigger cat.

1943 - 2009
    not jaguars they are from like africa
    Jaguars don't inhabit Africa. They're native to North and South America.

Jaguar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    2008 Arizona game and fish Hunting and Trapping regs mentioned the presence of Jaguars in Arizona. I would suspect areas in region 4 and 5. I have never seen one in the wild but would like to, as they are beautiful animals.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    2008 Arizona game and fish Hunting and Trapping regs mentioned the presence of Jaguars in Arizona. I would suspect areas in region 4 and 5. I have never seen one in the wild but would like to, as they are beautiful animals.
    They are still very rare here, but at one time they roamed a much larger area in the Southwest. Check out the map on C Crunches link.

As an aside to this topic there is another string of livestock and pet killings going on right now in North Carolina. This killer is targeting Pitt Bulls for food in rural areas. Witnesses have heard "cat like " sounds before or soon after the attacks. There is a very large predator loose for sure. Some experts think it could be a TIGER. We will find out soon enough.

I know this! If it's bad enough to eat a pitt bull, it's bad enough to eat me! I don't want to meet it in a dark alley!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Jaguars don't inhabit Africa. They're native to North and South America.

Jaguar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I was wrong,I guess I never heard of jaguars being anywhere in the US and always saw them in the jungle on tv.I would still have to change my depends if i saw one at my door wanting to come in for some kibbles

They are still very rare here, but at one time they roamed a much larger area in the Southwest.

As an aside to this topic there is another string of livestock and pet killings going on right now in North Carolina. This killer is targeting Pitt Bulls for food in rural areas. Witnesses have heard "cat like " sounds before or soon after the attacks. There is a very large predator loose for sure. Some experts think it could be a TIGER. We will find out soon enough.

I know this! If it's bad enough to eat a pitt bull, it's bad enough to eat me! I don't want to meet it in a dark alley!
    I was watching that show where they were looking for it and they had a guy snap a picture of a mountain lion in the area that was happening in ,they thought mountain lions had been extinct there for years

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I was wrong,I guess I never heard of jaguars being anywhere in the US and always saw them in the jungle on tv.I would still have to change my depends if i saw one at my door wanting to come in for some kibbles
    +1 To the depends.

Jaguars are larger and heavier built than mountain lions. They are the third largest cat species in the world. Tiger, lion then jaguar followed by both pumas and leopards (not sure who is larger of these last two).

A picture of me answering the door...
    Mark Twain:

+1 To the depends.

Jaguars are larger and heavier built than mountain lions. They are the third largest cat species in the world. Tiger, lion then jaguar followed by both pumas and leopards (not sure who is larger of these last two).

A picture of me answering the door...
    I already had to explain a bullet hole in the bathroom floor to my wife I don't think she's gonna buy a story about a freeking jaguar to explain a few in the back door

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links