Fuel-economy and Carbon footprinting

This is a discussion on Fuel-economy and Carbon footprinting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fuel-economy improvements mandated by Congress will give automakers to 2020 to hit the 35 mpg (6.7 L/100 km) standard. The auto industry battled to prolong ...

Fuel-economy improvements mandated by Congress will give automakers to 2020 to hit the 35 mpg (6.7 L/100 km) standard. The auto industry battled to prolong the date until 2022 while opponents fought for 2018. Congress gave the automakers lots of wiggle room in the long run. Taking into consideration vehicles used for towing and hauling, fuel economy improvements*based on what is called “attributes”*will depend on vehicle size. Under the new fuel economy law automakers will continue to get credit for producing flex-fuel vehicles, namely vehicles that operate on ethanol. Automakers will get credits to retool their plants and research credits to invest in new powertrain technologies.

Paul McCartney*a vegetarian and environmental advocate*was given a Lexus 600h hybrid to bask in green publicity. But it became complicated when the car was shipped on a cargo plane from Japan to Britain*making a huge carbon emissions footprint*instead of be transported by an efficient oceangoing freighter. Environmental groups picked-up on the boondoggle. The difference in transportation modes is like driving the car around the world 300 times, according to Gary Rumbold, director of the British branch of co2balance (a business that helps gauge carbon emissions footprints). Lexus said its decision to air-ship was about pressure to ensure the car’s quality and security guidelines were met as well as meeting a scheduled marketing photography deadline. Nutz sez, “When it’s about money, concern about the environment takes a back seat.”

When it’s about money, concern about the environment takes a back seat.
    Alot of things take a back seat when it comes to the almighty dollar.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have seen some reports that claim that tonnes and tonnes of Co2 coming out of your vehicle, yet when I added up the gas I use, it weighed less than the "avg" Co2 output claimed by these groups.

Must be that "new math" they teach in school nowdays.

As long as 'style' and horsepower are what sells, there will be lots of cars and trucks produced and sold that get poor mileage.

I'm still driving my '96 Nissan pickup and will continue to do so until the new ones get good enough mileage to make it worth buying. I get 28 mpg, and a new one gets about 24.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I have seen some reports that claim that tonnes and tonnes of Co2 coming out of your vehicle, yet when I added up the gas I use, it weighed less than the "avg" Co2 output claimed by these groups.

Must be that "new math" they teach in school nowdays.
    The extra weight comes from the O2 part of the CO2 and the O2 comes from the air intake not the fuel pump.

Gas at (6.3 pounds a gallon) produces 20 pounds of carbon dioxide.

However, your car isn't emitting 20 pounds of carbon for every gallon, but rather 20 pounds of carbon dioxide.

1 C + 2 Os = CO2.

O is about 33 percent heavier than C.

So, one unit of CO2 weighs four times more than one unit of C. The carbon comes from the gas; there's 5.5 pounds of it in that 6.3 pounds gallon of gas. But the oxygen comes from the air. Oxygen that was just floating around minding its own business gets combined with gas (and spark plug sparks, etc.) to create the internal combustion in your engine.

So, the resulting CO2 gets some of its weight from the gas, but most of it from the air. It takes a lot of air to weigh 20 pounds, but that's why your car has air intakes and unclogged air filters are good.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I am very leery about man made carbon out put clams.

I won't bore you all with the figures, but by my calculations volcanos are well over 400 years a head in carbon out put. Working from the industrial revolution to present day.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    I am very leery about man made carbon out put clams.

I won't bore you all with the figures, but by my calculations volcanos are well over 400 years a head in carbon out put. Working from the industrial revolution to present day.
    The forest fires that we put out that are caused by lightening offset the amount of carbon products we put into the air many times over.

Going Green is an industry, and is out to make as much money as they can. That's part of our society. I'm just saddened that most people don't realize it's a scam.

And yes, you are absolutely correct, there have been single eruptions of volcanoes that have contributed more 'global-warming gasses' than all of mankind combined.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Re hybrids

The dealership I work for sells new hybrids, and I've quietly wondered how much pollution the manufacture, and ultimate disposal of the battery creates.

In my market, they have become the new Harley with loud pipes. They are the new "Look at me!" vehicle. (I'm allowed to say that, I ride one) We sell ours for $3500 over sticker, I bet we could get $10,000 if the letters that spell out "HYBRID" were 6" tall.

I don't care if your car runs on corn, oil, volts, or a flux capacitor, there is a chain of events from resource to end use that affect the land.

Links