How do you feel when one of your pistols makes the front cover?

This is a discussion on How do you feel when one of your pistols makes the front cover? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know most of us have the pistols we do for reasons only we know---for priorities, size, brand name following, user friendliness, features, our abilities, ...

Thread: How do you feel when one of your pistols makes the front cover?

I know most of us have the pistols we do for reasons only we know---for priorities, size, brand name following, user friendliness, features, our abilities, our purpose. But---how do you feel when one of the pistols you've chosen, love, or work well with and have your own inside rave reviews about-make the front cover of a firearms magazine? How do you feel about your choice of pistol(s) when you read some excellent article about it, find something out about it you didn't previously know, or hear a well known gun/pistol guru give it praises? Does this re-enforce your decision, make you more satisfied with your decision, make you want to get another of the same, brag to your shooting buddies, brag on the forums, or anything else about your favorite firearm/pistol?
    Why do I ask such a silly question? I just picked up the buyer's guide, The Complete Book of Autopistols 2008 put out by Harris Outdoor Group #52 on the news stand today depicting a SIG Sauer P220 SAO 45ACP on the front cover and an excellent review of it inside on page 10-14! This issue also reviews the Glock 21SF test. I sort of like reading about a pistol I've chosen for range or carry before the reviews are all in and respect my decision all the more when I see something like this handed down from the so-called experts. In a way, it re-enforces my decision and what I already thought I knew-and hence gives me an added confidence abut my decisions and why I love that particular firearm. How about you?

XDs have had their time in the spotlight but I didn't need a rag to tell me I made a good choice. Those things are made to sell guns. But I admit, I still like to see them on a cover...

V8
    As of about two years ago I put little to no trust/confidence into what the gun writers say about any product they are trying to "sell". ( ever seen them not like a gun they test? How about all the new super duper the best round that has every existed craze?)

However what dose tick me of a bit is when you buy something that you intend to use and then shortly after it becomes a fad and everyone's got one.

When I was just out of high school I worked at a high end outdoor sporting goods store and the "in" thing for all the yuppie punks was the brand The North Face. The North Face makes very high end "gear" that is intended to be use climbing or mountaineering. The rich yuppie punks of course would never even think about spending the night in a tent where they could get cold or uncomfortable. They used the "gear" as everyday wear back and forth to school, the shopping center, tennis lessons etc.

So yea I guess in a way I cringe when I see something I own one the cover. Just because I fear the fad. (sorry AR guy's) just kidding I'm an AR whore to.

Ever notice that the "Feature Gun" also has the biggest paid advertisement?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

However what dose tick me of a bit is when you buy something that you intend to use and then shortly after it becomes a fad and everyone's got one.
    It wouldn't tick me off as I would have been in before everyone else and be paying less for a somewhat prototype. If things go over well, I'll have made an investment that could only increase in value. Yeah--money talks and BS walks, but if I were a writer, I'd prove my point whether or not I was given a free pistol to try out. I think they do that most of the time and with all bias put aside. Maybe that's wishful thinking?

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I enjoy seeing others have the good sense to agree with me!

Husker et al beat me to it. My choice has little to do with who happened to pay the gun magazine the most money that month.

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I'm not big on Gun Mags, so no hekp here.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

The writers are told "write 1000 words why this gun is great." that is their assignment. I like the pretty pictures though...

Links