Do you leave windows open when you are not in the room?

This is a discussion on Do you leave windows open when you are not in the room? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now that it is starting to get warm, I am leaving my windows open. Since traditionally, Portland doesn't get hot for very long, I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you leave windows open when you are not in the room?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Now that it is starting to get warm, I am leaving my windows open. Since traditionally, Portland doesn't get hot for very long, I have not bought an air conditioner. But with this global warming....Oh never mind.

So what I am running into is that I have windows open in one part of the house and I am in the other. I also have a sliding glass door that doesn't really have a lock on the screen, but makes for great air flow when left open.

I just don't see it practical to constantly be opening and closing windows as I leave one room and move to another. I know it is not entirely safe to leave windows and doors open, but what is one to do when it is hot and the need for circulating air is necessary?

Suggestions? Comments?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

No---that wouldn't be efficient to air-condition the outside. We'd like to keep our energy bills manageable. Okay---okay----in the fall we might open the screen door windows, but we never open the house windows. matter of fact, I'm not sure if we'd be able to open the house windows after all these years without a crowbar!

Well now it's to hot, but in the spring we would leave windows and doors open, even slept with my bedroom windows open, but they open to my fence backyard. Where I grew up it was the norm to leave doors and windows open, now i move here, its hard to keep house close. In another forum i post an experince not to long ago when the Sheriff walk right into my house and knock on my bedroom door, while i was asleep.
    It's Barbados Ah come from
    Celebration Lodge #36
    Celebration, Fl.

Administrator
    Doors no, Windows yes. Unless your house is very big, I don't see anything to be worried about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My house isn't so large that I worry much about open doors or windows when I'm in the house. If we want to spend time in the back yard we do close everything in front.

Doors, no. Windows, yes. My house is pretty large, two levels, 1700 square feet. When I am upstairs, I can't hear much downstairs. However, if I am awake, I have a gun. I also live in a very low crime area, and I am well known by the low life crowd due to my job. I also have a great slobbering beast of a hell dog. 150 lbs of Great dane snapping and snarling has a discouraging effect on uninvited visitors.
    Overall, I feel ok with my windows open.
    Would I do it in Portland? No freakin' way.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

When I lived up in the Great Northwest (western Wa.) my wife and I would open the windows up in the house and leave 'em open at night if it didn't get too cool (which was NOT very often). Our 90lb. GSD kept very good watch over things when we were out of the house. The doors, however, stayed shut.

During the day I'd figure out the wind direction and place a box-fan or two up in the open windows to draw in the air and circlulate the cool air as efficently as possiable thru the entire house. Also, a couple of those little "turbo fans" from the local 'Bix Box Mart' in the individual rooms you frequent will assist the cool of your casa'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Yes, while awake and packing. We never sleep with windows open.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Doors no, Windows yes. Unless your house is very big, I don't see anything to be worried about.
    Depends on the window. If on the first floor, and if large enough to easily climb through, it's as risky as an open door.

My home is a small, one-story layout without A/C and large windows that are easily accessible from the ground. When it's hot (as it's getting to be, now) I occasionally leave a window cracked open a bit. I always insert a dowel in the gap, to allow a 3" space and still provide some protection against ease of opening by an intruder. Far more foolproof would be a window with a small section that opens for airflow, in which the entire window could remain secured except for that little section.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    My house isn't so large that I worry much about open doors or windows when I'm in the house. If we want to spend time in the back yard we do close everything in front.

+1 Whenever we are outside, we will open the windows that we can see from where we will be. When we are inside, I have no problem with them all being open. We have a pretty large dog that barks at everything she hears, so nobody gets in that we do not know about.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

We do leave the windows open from time to time, but the doors are ALWAYS locked...ALWAYS...
    When the windows are open the blinds are open and not pulled up...so it is not easy to see an open window.
    My Rhodesian Ridgeback watches everyone and everything like a hawk...he sits in various rooms and watches ANY movement and alerts us to it.
    Because I am always armed and my canine alarm system is always on duty, an open window does not create too much concern...anyone coming down the street knows that there is a big dog in THAT house.

If we are sitting outside, the RB will stay quiet and watch you pass by...his eyes never leave you. I think it's great that strangers see this 125# (larger than most RB's) alarm doing his job.

Stay armed...have a canine on duty...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 25th, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, on one of my computers, all the time!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Doors, never. Windows, yes. The dog will let me know if there is a problem.

One thing you can do is cut a stick so the window will only open wide enough to circulate air but not wide enough somebody can crawl in,same way with sliding patio door cut a stick or make a sliding pole kinda like a shower curtain rod you can adjust to only let the door open a few inches or adjust it out to keep it closed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One thing you can do is cut a stick so the window will only open wide enough to circulate air but not wide enough somebody can crawl in,same way with sliding patio door cut a stick or make a sliding pole kinda like a shower curtain rod you can adjust to only let the door open a few inches or adjust it out to keep it closed
    This is exactly what I've done in our current house.

In DFW - No way! Been there, done that.

We have a GSD and a Doberman, so only a fool would try to dance with us without permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links