OT?: Best site where I can background check myself?

This is a discussion on OT?: Best site where I can background check myself? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know, the gun shop will run a background check on you when you go to purchase. I am extremely anal and would like to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT?: Best site where I can background check myself?

OT?: Best site where I can background check myself?

I know, the gun shop will run a background check on you when you go to purchase. I am extremely anal and would like to run a a full criminal/military background check on myself.

I see a ton of sites offering to do it for about $60. Most are shady though and make off with your $$ and offer little info in return. Anyone have any sure options that are known to be legit?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

How about filing a FOIA request at your local PD? Just type out a freedom of information request stating you'd like to know any and all records they have access to about you-state and federal. I'd be sure to be absent of any past tickets, fines, or warrants before hand, but I would think that might work. It's free.

Do we really want to ask...why?
    I suspect you could ask the county sherriff to run it, and release to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Do we really want to ask...why?
    I suspect you could ask the county sherriff to run it, and release to you...

lol Nothing bad. I'm just ridiculously anal about most things. I've never been convicted of a felony, never used drugs, never had a DUI. Basically I can't think of ANYTHING that would prevent me from owning a handgun. I am worried that my General Discharge from the Army might be an issue.

BUT...I am the type who thinks..."What if..." Like what if I'm standing there anxiously waiting to purchase my gun and the store owner comes back with..."Sorry sir..." etc

I know...my wife says it 24/7........I over-analyze everything.

Ram Rod - You're the man. Thatnks for the info. I will look into that today.

You can request a clearance letter (usually for a small fee) from your local police. If you have nothing on your record, you'll get it. If there's something that warrants further investigation, they won't issue one. It'll save you a lot of time.

The services online are useless. Employers use them for CYA and they don't even do that well. We're always finding things they miss.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I don't think it's an odd request at all. Myself, I have passed the NICS check a few times, all in under 5 minutes. I have passed security screening to work at the school. I have never been arrested for anything and have only had a few traffic violations. But I'd still love to know what an officer would see when they put my name in the system.

If your discharge was general, that will not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    lol Nothing bad. I'm just ridiculously anal about most things. I've never been convicted of a felony, never used drugs, never had a DUI. Basically I can't think of ANYTHING that would prevent me from owning a handgun. I am worried that my General Discharge from the Army might be an issue.

BUT...I am the type who thinks..."What if..." Like what if I'm standing there anxiously waiting to purchase my gun and the store owner comes back with..."Sorry sir..." etc

I know...my wife says it 24/7........I over-analyze everything.

Ram Rod - You're the man. Thatnks for the info. I will look into that today.

What was the characterization of the General Discharge?

If it's a general discharge...under honorable conditions...you're OK!

Stay armed...stay honorable...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If they find something in your back ground.........you'll probably get attested on the spot.... I wouldn't worry about it myself unless you are trying to hide something.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

There was a guy in my CHL class that could not purchase a handgun because his record showed felony arrests, etc when he had none. Come to find out someone had stolen his identity and claimed to be him for some crimes, or something like that. It took him years and attorneys to get it all cleared before he could buy a handgun and then get his CHL.

if you know a cop, he can run your name......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I was told once that some departments consider this an abuse of resources or something of the sort and frown upon their officers doing that.

I don't know if this is true or not. And I don't know if all departments feel this way. This is a better question for some of the officers we have here on the forum...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    If they find something in your back ground.........you'll probably get arrested on the spot.... I wouldn't worry about it myself unless you are trying to hide something.......
    I go to some places that require background checks to be performed. One of the places, the Va State Supreme Court does an 'instant' check when workers get admitted to the site. I've seen some get arrested right on the spot, since they had something outstanding & they act all surprised. They say things like "I didn't think they'd actually check...."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    They could... buts that is also a felony. You can only use the system for LE purposes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links