Gun Safe Prying open-video

This is a discussion on Gun Safe Prying open-video within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; YouTube - Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video...

Thread: Gun Safe Prying open-video

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think it is time to hire a Leprechaun with a shot gun to stand by the safe.

you mean in ?

that would be one hell of a surprise as they opened it.

Wow I don't feel safe
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Anchor that safe to the floor and wall in an ample size closet and that scenario would be impossible. That was a MSRP $1000 safe? Interesting marketing scheme but not realistic. How many safe owners have the safe in the middle of the living room not anchored? Tip a 400lb safe over like that in a frame structure and it's going to go through the floor. Put those two guys in a confined space twice as large as the safe itself and with the safe anchored, standing up more like realistic conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Interesting marketing scheme but not realistic. How many safe owners have the safe in the middle of the living room not anchored?
    Most, I'd bet. But, who's to say.

Tip a 400lb safe over like that in a frame structure and it's going to go through the floor.
    Might well.

Mine's nearly 1600 lbs. (Would prefer the 5000 lb unit, but I'd need a beefier area of the foundation, to be sure it wouldn't damage something, I'm sure of it.) For all the obvious reasons, I've got it anchored to the foundation, in a corner of the space. "Realistic" conditions to thieve my safe's contents would be markedly different than the vast majority of casual safe owners', I would think.

Still, that said, ain't nothin' for certain. No safe is unbreakable. A safe simply buys time. A better safe just buys more of it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Safe wasn't anchored...

There was no "stuff" in the safe to weigh it down and prevent from tipping over.

I don't know about you guys, but there isn't that much room around my safe to give more than one person all of that room to work.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Anchor that safe to the floor and wall in an ample size closet and that scenario would be impossible. That was a MSRP $1000 safe? Interesting marketing scheme but not realistic. How many safe owners have the safe in the middle of the living room not anchored? Tip a 400lb safe over like that in a frame structure and it's going to go through the floor. Put those two guys in a confined space twice as large as the safe itself and with the safe anchored, standing up more like realistic conditions.

Granted, the scenario might not be realistic, but if I'm paying for a safe, I expect that the safe will provide a little more security than that...... I have to admit, I was surprised.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd like to see a demonstration on two guys getting in aa expensive safe.In my
    world a grand not cheap ! If you van get in on in less than two minutes I might as well keep my old glass cabinets that cost me less than $200.Space is always an issue in my house.

The bolts were not engaged very far, the bolt on the bottom of the door was not even extended. I am sure there are some cheap safes out there that can be pried open, my safe has at least 1 inch of engagement. The UL Listing doesn't really mean anything like it is secure, it just means it has passed some testing standards that UL has. You would need to look at the actual standard to see what testing was done. Usually UL testing makes sure you won't be shocked and there are no sharp edges and things like that. I investigate product failures and test them, including doing UL testing.

This is not an unbiased demonstration, they are trying to get you to buy their expensive safe.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

If you do a search on the U tube site you will also find out why electronic lock sets are not secure either.

This video was first posted several years ago someplace could be here who knows, but the bottom line is a safe is only as good as the level of determination to get into it.

But the reality is that cheap safes are not as secure as most would like to think they are is not less valid today than it was when the video was produced.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    As soon as they flopped the safe on its back this video lost all credibility IMO.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I'd like to see a demonstration on two guys getting in aa expensive safe.In my
    world a grand not cheap ! If you van get in on in less than two minutes I might as well keep my old glass cabinets that cost me less than $200.Space is always an issue in my house.
    If that was truly a $1000 dollar safe then those guys were fleeced, or they "helped" the demonstration along by not latching the bolts. Not a valid test. They did not zoom in on the prying, to see what they were bending. There are some sheet metal "safes" that are similar to the lockers you had in high school that would behave like this. For a true test, the testing agency needs to be independent.

By the way a decent gun safe does run upwards of $800, especially if you want it to provide some fire protection.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

You know I wondered, a safe that cost a grand usually has more locking bolts, that one only appeared to have 4 and not the usual dozen (locking bolts on all 4 sides of the door) or more a good safe needs.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

My safe is bolted to the floor and walls yep I said walls it's in a corner of a closet and 2 guys aren't gonna get in their side by side nor are they going to be able to pry back more than a foot on the hinge side and 0 amount on the open side
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links