Disgusted by the Media

This is a discussion on Disgusted by the Media within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am truly appalled at some of the news media reports I have been reading; from Washington or New York anti gun sentiments to the ...

Thread: Disgusted by the Media

Disgusted by the Media

I am truly appalled at some of the news media reports I have been reading; from Washington or New York anti gun sentiments to the "Adult" oriented "National Enquirer" type reporting of Fox news. I like to try and read daily about what's going on in my local area, my state, nationally and in the world. I get so frustrated at the biased reporting that I have been searching for other sources/sites and am having little luck.

My local news media is typical liberal reporting that use inflammatory reporting of negative issues only.

Does anyone have a news media source that they can refer me to that is pro-American, positive (optimistic), conservative, and family wholesome?

2. Remove Ads

Yikes! Tall order! Personally, I get a lot of my "news" from the Wall Street Journal <yawn> (which can be gloomy.....), The Journal of Taxation <scary!> or somesuch.........Thankfully, I do not worry about little 'uns.

I don't know about in general, but on Wednesday night Nightline had a story about the VCDL that was unambiguously pro-2A; not a single anti interviewed. Couldn't believe it.

The best source I can think of is the Wall Street Journal. I also like National Review and National Review Online - generally intelligently conservative, though occasionally I get a little FOX News sense...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Does anyone have a news media source that they can refer me to that is pro-American, positive (optimistic), conservative, and family wholesome?
    Defensivecarry.com

All the news that's fit to print.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    For anyone who has ever been referenced or quoted in a newspaper article, the difference between what you said and what is reported is no longer a surprise. I was involved in a focus group during the 2004 election sponsored by the Boston Globe. Whenever I was quoted, 100% were either wrong or misrepresented. That sets my expectations very low. I am seldom disappointed. Occasionally, when they are caught in a lie, I am disgusted.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I have found one online media source that seems to fit my needs, so far. NPR.ORG here is a link to the recent Heller ruling Chicago-Area Gun Owners Praise D.C. Ruling : NPR

My judgment is pending reading their stuff some more, but so far I think they are family friendly and conservative. They probably will not provide me any local info, but at least I can read something that doesn't make we want to choke the author.

I don't have little kids, but I also don't need sexual intoned headlines for me to read an article.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I have found one online media source that seems to fit my needs, so far. NPR.ORG here is a link to the recent Heller ruling Chicago-Area Gun Owners Praise D.C. Ruling : NPR
    Generally, NPR is pretty good radio.

The problem is that we seem to like news which fits our view of the world and reject news that is opposite our likes.

I watch FOX news and laugh. They are jokers with air time. I watch CNN and laugh at them too. Opposite of FOX but still jokers. NPR is for idjits who can't think beyond the word "me."

You'd do better to watch your local nightly news for general info and watch both FOX and CNN for headline news and then make your own informed decisions based on both sides of the story. If you can't decide based on the media coverage, then you'd best do some investigating yourself to get to the heart of the matter you're interested in.

Anything else is being a lemming no matter which side of the debate you're on.
    Last edited by Rob P.; June 28th, 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Left sumpin out

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I read a variety of sources but not much is 'wholesome' and almost none of it is local. Most of it international stuff because that's where my interest lies. Especially when it comes to reading what other countries are being fed about the United States. However there are a few gems:

Al Jazeera is one of the most impartial news sources on the planet. Their investigative quality is top-notch and their insight is invaluable. They cover the entire planet.
    Al Jazeera English - AJE

The BBC is good if you can temper it with the comments section on their news stories.
    BBC - Homepage

Reuters is decent. Occasionally you'll get some inflammatory stuff but its rare.
    World News, Business News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com

Christian Science Monitor is good if you want the religious angle. I'll skim this one once in a blue moon. They don't tend to sensationalize stories which is appreciated.
    The Christian Science Monitor | csmonitor.com

The Economist is one of the absolutely TOP news magazines in existence. They cover everything internationally and do an incredible job of it. Their reporters are extremely good at their jobs and their sources seem unimpeachable.
    Economist.com

STRATFOR is short for Strategic Forecasting. It is quite simply one of the best sources of raw information regarding military and political maneuvering on the planet. The main page offers glimpses into what might be worth looking into elsewhere as following most of the links requires a subscription. My school has one and I use it often.
    Stratfor - Geopolitical intelligence, economic, political, and military strategic forecasting | Stratfor

I don't read American news sources much at all (except CSM - Reuters is Int'l). I'll check FoxNews occasionally for more in-depth national stuff but it really is junk. Almost everything these days is an editorial that is focused on one side of the aisle or the other - but so is CSM. Sorry. Too much garbage and I don't care about Britney Spears.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I am perhaps a bit biased, but I would go with Townhall.com for general news.

Yoda, if you go to News-Talk 660 KSKY Radio at the top left they have a link to live broadcasting of a radio show that is local to Texas and hosted on the townhall site...I don't care for their weekend broadcasting too much, but their weekday broadcasting is top notch. KSKY also has news a large news page that has stuff on a local, state, national and global scale, and it may be closer to what you are looking for.

Between KSKY and DefensiveCarry, I don't feel like I am missing too much.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; June 28th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Go to warroom.com CLICK HERE and get your news from Quinn & Rose.
    Quinn was on his radio show trying to decide what firearm he was going to carry to celebrate the SCOTUS decision.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    The problem is that we seem to like news which fits our view of the world and reject news that is opposite our likes.

I watch FOX news and laugh. They are jokers with air time. I watch CNN and laugh at them too. Opposite of FOX but still jokers. NPR is for idjits who can't think beyond the word "me."

You'd do better to watch your local nightly news for general info and watch both FOX and CNN for headline news and then make your own informed decisions based on both sides of the story. If you can't decide based on the media coverage, then you'd best do some investigating yourself to get to the heart of the matter you're interested in.

Anything else is being a lemming no matter which side of the debate you're on.

Please read my original post. And I take offense to you calling me an idjit and a lemming, and I promise you I can think beyond the word "me". NPR.org is conservative, they do not use sex to spice up their news and CNN and the like only report their one sided stories. I watch some TV news but get most of my news by reading it online on my own schedule. I get plenty of their (liberal) news, I just cannot find enough of the type of news I am looking for. If you cannot respond to my original post and question without insulting me then please refrain from posting.

The media has misquoted me, attributed quotes to me that I never made, taken words I did speak and either spun them completely out of recognition or took them utterly out of context -- whether I was Superintendent, or Fire Chief, or acting town Marshal, the media proved time and time again it could not be depended on for accuracy, fairness, completeness or balance.
    My firsthand experience was strictly with local stations, but so far I have seen little from the mainstream media that would soothe my jaundiced opinion of the breed.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Links