Education - Page 2

Education

This is a discussion on Education within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Duisburg Education = Liberalism? Are you saying that conservatives are not educated? Not at all. I am saying that statistically, 29% of ...

View Poll Results: What is your education level?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I dropped out of Highschool

0 0%
  • I graduated Highschool/got my GED

18 14.52%
  • I went to Tradeschool

18 14.52%
  • I attempted College

25 20.16%
  • I graduated College

51 41.13%
  • I have a few college degrees

26 20.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Education

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    Education = Liberalism? Are you saying that conservatives are not educated?
    Not at all. I am saying that statistically, 29% of Americans have a college degree. This number is significantly higher in Seattle and San Francisco, which are both liberal havens. This is evidence that suggests this poll is not even close to the expected value.

wow, thanks, just because your numbers don't add up and you think this poll is skewed and you deem it valueless?
    It's not my numbers, it is the respondents. Yes, I think this poll is severely skewed and I don't think any conclusion drawn from this result is representative of anything. Nothing against your attempt, however.

Scientific polling is difficult at best. This poll does not even represent a random sampling of DC.com

I had 2 choices, "I attempted college" and "I went to trade school". I went to college for almost 2 years (1.0 GPA and 6 credit hours) until I got the "college isn't for everyone speech from my adviser" Can you believe you can't just pay for classes and pass, who knew . I then a few years later went on to a Networking Technologies program at Southern Methodist University's School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, so I fit 2 categories.

I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up though
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Where's the option for those of us with graduate degrees?
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

I put down that I attempted college. But, that's because I didn't actually go to college. I took all my college courses while in the Navy. So I never actually went to a specific college.

Whatever..
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    I joined the Corps out of high school. Along the way to retirement, I earned a number of credits.

I don't have near enough credits for a degree, but the idea of a degree interests me. However, my current position pays well and I would not expect a return on the expense and effort.

Going back to school - I keep putting it off.

I'm currently in College.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I graduated college with a 2 year degree. Of course I was 50 when I finally did it. Does 24 years in the military and School of Hard Knocks count? If so I guess I have 2 degrees!!
    Yea, It counts.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

BA in Music. Unfortunately never really did anything with it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

B52
    I am woking on my MBA, should graduate in 2010...Why ask this in a CCW related poll? I have seen alot of college grads that should never touch a gun (no common sense). By the way I am 32, so it's never too late to go back to school.
    Last edited by B52; June 30th, 2008 at 01:13 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Ditto on polling being difficult: sampling properly is very hard. If you had a list, you could pick every xth person, for instance, but this forum is itself a self-selected non-representative group. Close, probably, but that's a guess.

I know! When Obama gets elected, we'll ask everyone as they hand in their guns!

Bachelor's in Biology, Master's in Public Health Epidemiology, Teaching Credential.

Been taking some lightweight courses from Hard Knocks U - nothing like the effort some folks have put in. I lead a rather boring life, and am quite pleased God's grace to me in making it that way!

Well, I could only pick one, so I picked I have a few college degrees.

However, I also went to trade school and worked several years as a welder/pipefitter before I started college at the ripe old age of 29.

Since then I have received an Assoc. of Arts (Gen.), Asoc of Science in Legal Studies, BA in Environmental Studies, and now at the over ripe age of 38 I am in law school working on my J.D..

The amazing part is that even with all of this formal education, I'm still not a liberal.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post

The amazing part is that even with all of this formal education, I'm still not a liberal.
    I don't pay much attention in class either.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    I am woking on my MBA, should graduate in 2010...Why ask this in a CCW related poll? I have seen alot of college grads that should never touch a gun (no common sense). By the way I am 32, so it's never too late to go back to school.
    JMO, but I actually think this poll is as valid as any. First, education as we all know does not equate to intellegence. My Dad is one of the smartest people I have ever met and he never graduated from HS. On the other hand I went to college with a lot of real dimwits.

Secondly, this poll can perhaps dispell assumptions people might make about what gun owners are like as far as educational background. I predict it will end up being a broad spectrum if enough members reply honestly.

Like the "What do you do for a living" thread, it will highlight the diversity of membership from a slightly different perspective.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

EMP
    Graduated college... Actually just got the diploma framed and returned to me this weekend. Looking back on it, I almost wished I had gotten a degree in something else. I work in the tech field and got a CIS degree... wishing I had gone for something science/biology related I think. I cruised through college with what I feel was too little effort because I just GOT what the classes were about and didn't have to study hard as a result, whereas, some of my peers would study for hours on end. I think a science degree would have actually made me work a bit harder. Not to say I regret it but it might have felt a little more rewarding, if that makes any sense.

Anyone else feel like they should have done something else, degree wise?
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    JMO, but I actually think this poll is as valid as any. First, education as we all know does not equate to intellegence. My Dad is one of the smartest people I have ever met and he never graduated from HS. On the other hand I went to college with a lot of real dimwits.

Secondly, this poll can perhaps dispell assumptions people might make about what gun owners are like as far as educational background. I predict it will end up being a broad spectrum if enough members reply honestly.

Like the "What do you do for a living" thread, it will highlight the diversity of membership from a slightly different perspective.
    sgtD...

Good point...that thread will open one's eyes as to the 'real brains', professionals, and dedicated people who visit here...

Stay armed...be humble...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links