French troops use live amunition in display, injuring 17

This is a discussion on French troops use live amunition in display, injuring 17 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seventeen people, including a child left in a critical condition, were injured Sunday when French soldiers fired live bullets instead of blanks during a visitors ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seventeen people, including a child left in a critical condition, were injured Sunday when French soldiers fired live bullets instead of blanks during a visitors day display.

Fifteen civilians and two soldiers were injured in the incident, of which the details remained unclear late Sunday, involving a demonstration by members of a marines parachute regiment of a hostage liberation exercise, the regional authority said.

17 injured as French troops use live ammo in visitors day display - Yahoo! News

Everyone please repeat the 4 rules:
    1. All guns are always loaded (until you establish whether they are or not).
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. Keep your gun pointed in a safe direction at all times: on the range, at home, loading, or unloading.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target (and you are ready to shoot).
    4. Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you haven't positively identified.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

16 Accidentally Wounded by French Military in Shooting Demo

16 Accidentally Wounded by French Military in Shooting Demo
    Last Edited: Sunday, 29 Jun 2008, 3:43 PM MST
    Created: Sunday, 29 Jun 2008, 3:43 PM MST

06/29/2008 --

A military shooting demonstration in southeast France on Sunday left 16 people wounded, including children, when real bullets were used instead of blank ones, officials said.

Four of the wounded were in serious condition, including a 3-year-old child, Bernard Lemaire, chief of the regional administration in Aude, said on France-3 television. Fifteen of the injured were civilians.

A Defense Ministry official said the incident occurred during a demonstration of hostage-freeing techniques at the Laperrine military barracks. The official said investigators will look into why real bullets were used.

No information was immediately available about what kind of weapon was used.

The soldier who fired the shots has been detained, Lemaire said. He said the injuries were likely an accident but that it could have been a "criminal act."

In a statement, President Nicolas Sarkozy expressed his "horror" at Sunday's incident at the base, which houses the 3rd marine infantry parachute regiment.

The injured were taken to nearby hospitals, with the most seriously wounded taken to Toulouse.

See also:
    FOXNEWS.COM HOME >

I just don't know what to say
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I didn't know the french had real bullets. I thought they were only ever issued blanks and white flags...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'm thinking some people need to be courtmartialed,besides your not suppose to shoot hostages to end a hostage situation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Okay yeah, here's a question: Why were they shooting 'civilians'?? Is there a particularly good reason someone would be firing blanks at a crowd of bystanders? If one soldier did this, I'm going to assume it was something like a SAW or some kind of platoon support machine gun. I mean.. how does that happen?! I'd love to see the final report on this one.

And who gave them guns?! Its not like the French Army has ever won anything lasting. They kill or imprison all their effective commanders. Joan d'Arc, Napoleon, etc.. Why are they using firearms?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Okay yeah, here's a question: Why were they shooting 'civilians'?? Is there a particularly good reason someone would be firing blanks at a crowd of bystanders? If one soldier did this, I'm going to assume it was something like a SAW or some kind of platoon support machine gun. I mean.. how does that happen?! I'd love to see the final report on this one.

And who gave them guns?! Its not like the French Army has ever won anything lasting. They kill or imprison all their effective commanders. Joan d'Arc, Napoleon, etc.. Why are they using firearms?
    "A Defense Ministry official said the incident occurred during a demonstration of hostage-freeing techniques at the Laperrine military barracks. The official said investigators will look into why real bullets were..."

I'd be careful throwing stones in glass houses, we have had our more than fair share of "accidents" with training and demonstration exercises...some resent.

I also think this has absolutely nothing to do with the 4 rules. What it has to do is incorrectly marked, unmarked, unverified, and/or a mix of dummy and live rounds.

My sadness to those families harmed or in harms way and pray for a quick recovery.

Rick

Fifteen civilians and two soldiers were injured in the ... hostage liberation exercise ...
    "Liberated" action. Perhaps they should have been more conservative.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maybe they need the 4 rules in French! So, I ran it through a translator:

1. Tous les fusils sont toujours chargés (jusqu'à ce que vous établissiez s'ils sont ou pas).
    2. Ne laissez jamais la couverture muselle n'importe quoi que vous n'êtes pas disposés à détruire. Conservez-vous votre fusil a montré dans une direction sûre à tous moments : sur la gamme, à la maison, le chargement, ou le déchargement.
    3. Garder votre doigt de la gâchette jusqu'à ce que vos vues soient sur la cible (et vous êtes prêts à tirer).
    4. Être sûrs de votre cible. Savez quel il est, ce qui est conformément à cela et ce qui est derrière cela. Ne tirez jamais sur rien que vous n'avez pas de façon positive ide.

I then translated it back to English. Not bad, but interesting in spots:

1. All guns are always loaded (until you establish if they are or not).
    2. Never leave the coverage muzzle anything that you are not willing to destroy. Keep your gun showed in a sure direction at any time: on the range, at the home, the load, or unloading.
    3. Keep your finger of tumbler until your views are on the target (and you are ready to pull).
    4. Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in accordance with it and what is behind it. Never pull on anything that you do not have in a positive manner.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Something else to consider….

I have never seen a semi- or automatic weapon that would fire blanks WITHOUT a blank adapter(this is a device that attaches to the end of the barrel to block it so that enough pressure can build up to cycle the bolt even though there is no bullet traveling down the barrel).

So, not only was live ammo used instead of blanks, but the soldier also “forgot” to put his blank adapter on the muzzle. Doesn’t sound like an accident to me.

Next time France is invaded by a hostile force, why don't we just give them real bullets and stage a training exercise. Maybe their fear won't get in the way and we will not have to go over there and defend them with our military might.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Something else to consider….

I have never seen a semi- or automatic weapon that would fire blanks WITHOUT a blank adapter(this is a device that attaches to the end of the barrel to block it so that enough pressure can build up to cycle the bolt even though there is no bullet traveling down the barrel).

So, not only was live ammo used instead of blanks, but the soldier also “forgot” to put his blank adapter on the muzzle. Doesn’t sound like an accident to me.
    I was thinking the same thing ,and if he had a blank adapter attached first round would of blown gun up from pressure
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The French forces have been very busy over the years in small African bush wars that few people in North America have heard of. Also French forces are serving in Afghanistan. The French soldiers can be pretty tough nuts, they were screwed around by their leaders.

I wasn't aware that the French military even owned any live ammo let alone functional weaponry.

The solder that fired the live ammo obviously smuggled in a real weapon and the ammo. All the French military has ever had since the American Revolution was blanks, replica guns and white flags.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    "A Defense Ministry official said the incident occurred during a demonstration of hostage-freeing techniques at the Laperrine military barracks. The official said investigators will look into why real bullets were..."
    I am not feeling warm-fuzzy about being rescued in a hostage situation by French forces all of the sudden.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member

Dumb, Real Dumb:16 Injured Accidentally by French Military

Somebody forgot to use blanks! "PARIS — A military shooting demonstration in southeast France on Sunday left 16 people wounded, including children, when real bullets were used instead of blank ones, officials said." hand1:
    FOXNews.com - 16 Accidentally Wounded by French Military in Shooting Demo - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links