Ban cars and tobacco now!

This is a discussion on Ban cars and tobacco now! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cars and Tobacco kill more people per year than do guns. Why aren't people clamoring for a ban on cars and tobacco? Oh yeah,out of ...

Thread: Ban cars and tobacco now!

Exclamation Ban cars and tobacco now!

Cars and Tobacco kill more people per year than do guns. Why aren't people clamoring for a ban on cars and tobacco? Oh yeah,out of the three (guns,cars, and tobacco) only guns are protected by the Constitution of The United States of America! Here are a few quick stats supporting an increase in gun sales and a total ban on cars and tobacco.

30,000 or 1% of Americans die per year by gun related incidents (accident, suicide, murder)

440,000 or 15% of Americans die per year by cigarette related illness

50,000 or 2% of Americans die per year in auto accidents. Automobiles are the leading cause of death for Americans between the ages of 1 and 35!!!

Sounds like we need a full ban on cars and tobacco STAT!!! Oh yeah and aren't cars supposedly killing the Earth as well? I bet a gun can't kill Earth! ;)

Sources of statistics:
    Deaths from Smoking - WrongDiagnosis.com
    NHTSA Announcements ... Speech.pdf
    --- Learning to reload.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    We can't ban cars and smokes. People have to BUY buy those.

Everyone knows that guns leave their holsters to walk off and shoot children on their own. Gosh!
    [/sarcasm]

People won't ban guns and cars because everyone uses those. Even wild-eyed anti-gun people. You won't find anyone who is anti-car because it makes things easier for them like going to the store. If people could get a clue that guns make people safer then you might see a similar reaction from others.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

its all about perspective

My main point in the post was illustrating that there are other legal things in the US killing more Americans than guns and that all the drama over guns is because it's easy to scare people out of gun ownership and their gun rights.

The news shows some mom crying because her kid was murdered by a gun and the whole city demands banning guns. What they don't tell you is her kid was shot by his crack dealer with an illegally obtained gun.
    --- Learning to reload.

I read an interesting book, Freakonomics. One of the things the author discusses is in an article here:

Pools: more dangerous for children than guns | www.azstarnet.com ®

I'm sure every responsible citizen clamoring for gun control has filled in their backyard pools and voted to shut down public pools.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I read an interesting book, Freakonomics. One of the things the author discusses is in an article here:

Pools: more dangerous for children than guns | www.azstarnet.com ®

I'm sure every responsible citizen clamoring for gun control has filled in their backyard pools and voted to shut down public pools.
    You beat me to it, just in the past week there has been one drowning and three near drownings just in the Raleigh/Durham area.

When pools are outlawed, only outlaws will sit outside and have fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

We can't ban motor vehicle's from our road's because
    1) The political parties who derive so much of their income from donation's made by the petro-chemical industry would never survive the political backlash from these mighty industrialist's

2) The political parties who derive so much of their income from donation's made by the Automobile industry would never survive the political backlash from these mighty industrialist's.

3) The world Government's who derive so much of their income from taxation as a result of the manufacture of these product's, and the increased revenue brought about by the various form's of sales tax throught these item's would cease to function.

4) Because we the people would nail them to their office door's if they tried, I stress nail them as when our firearm's, knives and ther assorted sharp and pointy and blunt instrument's are banned we will have nothing left, Dang it, now they will ban nails and hammer's too.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    When pools are outlawed, only outlaws will sit outside and have fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them . . .
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_ironsight View Post
    We can't ban motor vehicle's from our road's because
    1) The political parties who derive so much of their income from donation's made by the petro-chemical industry would never survive the political backlash from these mighty industrialist's

2) The political parties who derive so much of their income from donation's made by the Automobile industry would never survive the political backlash from these mighty industrialist's.

3) The world Government's who derive so much of their income from taxation as a result of the manufacture of these product's, and the increased revenue brought about by the various form's of sales tax throught these item's would cease to function.

4) Because we the people would nail them to their office door's if they tried, I stress nail them as when our firearm's, knives and ther assorted sharp and pointy and blunt instrument's are banned we will have nothing left, Dang it, now they will ban nails and hammer's too.
    There was a time that you could apply those to Tobacco, Guns, etc. Times change, they'll try to tell us how to get around soon enough.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Too bad we can't ban morons breeding, but then again that would waste all that Brady Bunch letterhead that has already been printed.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links