Proper Usage is Getting Rare

This is a discussion on Proper Usage is Getting Rare within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, so I need to rant for a minute. I am becoming exceedingly sick of the writing and grammatical skills of people these days. I ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

OK, so I need to rant for a minute.

I am becoming exceedingly sick of the writing and grammatical skills of people these days. I DO recognize that this is a forum and the writing is to be casual, but come on people; please at least attempt to use correct grammar. Even the students on the discussion boards at my college just can't seem to get it right. The problem that I see the most is the misuse of words such as "there, their, and they're".

What worries me the most is that this is obviously NOT a typo issue, this is an INTELLIGENCE issue. People either are not being taught the proper use of these words anymore, or are getting too stupid to remember. I am very sick of seeing sentences such as this one:

"I don't know, I might be their". What is wrong with these people? Here, I'll break it down for them:

Their, There, or They're?

Their is a possessive pronoun. It always describes a noun.

Note the spelling of their. It comes from the word they, so the e comes before the i.

There is an adverb meaning "that location." It is sometimes used with the verb to be as an idiom. It is spelled like here which means "this location."

They're is a contraction of they are. Note the spelling: The a from are is replaced by an apostrophe.

Examples: Their dog has fleas. (possessive of they)

I put the collar right there. (that location)

There are five prime numbers less than ten.
    (with to be)

They're 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. (contraction of they are)
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Administrator

I have my pet peeves too, some of them we share. I'm just as bad as the next guy though, I can't type as fast as I think sometimes making for my fair share of grammatical errors. Oh well, I do get my point across, most of the time anyway.
    My biggest peeve is when people try to abbreviate a year like this; 05' That makes no sense at all!

Just for reference, 2005 would be abbreviated like this; '05.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If my grammar offends you or anyone else.......sorry. Sometimes I am mulitiy tasking and reading at the same time. If I have something to say to a topic I will quickly type a reply. If I use grammar incorrectly than give me a time out and I will stand in the corner.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm right there with you guys. Here's a comic that sums up another pet peeve for you.

Brian

luvmyglock...

Lighten up...we all make errors...
    When typing quickly, I have missed the incorrect grammar or spelling error until it was after the '24 hour' correction period......

If you would like, I would be more than happy to monitor all of your posts (the next 100 or so) and point out any errors (even the technical ones) you could possibly make...(I am an English Honors instructor at a local high school...)...be careful what you wish for....

Respectfully submitted, of course!

Stay armed...use the 'spell/grammar checker'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Oh.. I have a few favorites as well.

It's not "EXpresso"- it's ESPRESSO.
    Disrespect is NOT a verb
    It's congratulations, not "congradulations"

I could go on and on....
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

VIP Member
    I ain't got no words for thems that can't right. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    If my grammar offends you or anyone else.......sorry. Sometimes I am mulitiy tasking and reading at the same time. If I have something to say to a topic I will quickly type a reply. If I use grammar incorrectly than give me a time out and I will stand in the corner.
    Reborn...to your room...15 minutes!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree but on the other hand English is one of the hardest languages to learn because of all the words that sound alike are spelled different and have different meanings etc.not everybody that uses this forum were born and raised here and for those individuals I think they do a great job of writing even tho sometimes ya gotta do a little deciphering,If I ever tried to write in Italian or french I would mess up so bad people would think I was a first grade dropout,much less trying to speak a foreign language.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

B52
    I usually type quickly and don't always have time to proof read my post. This isn't an English class and even if a poster uses incorrect grammar...I always get their point. Life is too short to be a grammar Nazi, lol.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I hear you LMG. I always attempt to use proper English as well. It's not really a pet peeve with me because I don't let it bother me that much when others don't make the same effort. I've been on different forums and chat rooms for over 10 years now and I've already been numbed to most of the grammar usage in those places. Now I rarely point out mistakes unless it's something completely ironic. Such as someone complaining about the intelligence of another while misspelling their own words.

I am aware I have my own problems with grammar as well. Such as, my overuse, of commas, sometimes, I just go overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I hear you LMG. I always attempt to use proper English as well. It's not really a pet peeve with me because I don't let it bother me that much when others don't make the same effort. I've been on different forums and chat rooms for over 10 years now and I've already been numbed to most of the grammar usage in those places. Now I rarely point out mistakes unless it's something completely ironic. Such as someone complaining about the intelligence of another while misspelling their own words.

I am aware I have my own problems with grammar as well. Such as, my overuse, of commas, sometimes, I just go overboard.
    I agree with your point...an important distinction others should note...

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the only thing that bugs me is when i am reading a sentence that goes on and on forever without any punctuation or capital letters because like is it really that difficult to use the space bar twice to seperate sencences or to use the shift key every once in a while i guess its not such a big deal but its like some people dont even know where the punctuation keys on a keyboard are and sometimes it makes it difficult to read what they are saying you know what i mean i could go on and on about this but i think you know what i mean so i will let it go at that
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

retsupt99,
    I accept your challenge. OK OK Look, I am not PERFECT either..I NEVER said I was. But I DID say that I was growing increasingly tired of people that do not even attempt to use the proper form of a verb, etc. Third grade, anyone?.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    the only thing that bugs me is when i am reading a sentence that goes on and on forever without any punctuation or capital letters because like is it really that difficult to use the space bar twice to seperate sencences or to use the shift key every once in a while i guess its not such a big deal but its like some people dont even know where the punctuation keys on a keyboard are and sometimes it makes it difficult to read what they are saying you know what i mean i could go on and on about this but i think you know what i mean so i will let it go at that
    Run-on? Nice one!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links