Becoming ambidextrous later on in life?

This is a discussion on Becoming ambidextrous later on in life? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've become increasingly aware of myself becoming more ambidextrous lately, especially at work. I don't know exactly how long this has been going on, but ...

Thread: Becoming ambidextrous later on in life?

Becoming ambidextrous later on in life?

I've become increasingly aware of myself becoming more ambidextrous lately, especially at work. I don't know exactly how long this has been going on, but in my line of work (maintenance/electrician/mechanic) sometimes things are hard to get to and body positions and tools dictate alternative methods to get the job done. At first I had to work at using the 'off hand', then it started to surprise me sometimes how well I could do that, now it's almost second nature. I'm not completely there yet when it comes to the pistol shooting, but I'll be working on that more than ever now-just to see how ambi I can become.
    I've been right handed all of my life. Anyone else experience this over 40?

2. Remove Ads

I was forced to become almost totally left handed after a spinal cord injury caused partial paralysis to my right hand,even tho I shoot with what is basically my weak hand and being right eye dominant I have learned to shoot extremely well but it takes lots of practice and if my hand ever recovered i'd shoot right hand in a minute.But you can with practice get almost as good with your off hand as your normal hand.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Take some guitar lessons - most of your dexterity is required in your off hand. Never made sense to me. About a third of the lefty guitarists I know just play right-handed. (A couple play a righty instrument flipped over a'la Jimi Hendrix, the rest play southpaw instruments)

I was lefthanded as an infant, and my Grandmother would smack me and make me use my right hand for things. Except for handwriting, I'm about equally dextrous at most things with either hand. I would call the condition more Ambispasmodic than Ambidextrous.

Whether or not you work on being able to use your support hand for everything, it's important to practice shooting with your off hand. Not only being able to get good hits, but being able to run the gun - reload, clear malfunctions etc - with your non-dominant paw. There's every possibility that your good side could become disabled in a fight for your life.

Joe

I've never thought about using my left hand for anything since I'm right handed. This all changed when I developed pain in my right wrist from using the computer at work the whole day. I decided to start using my left hand and in two weeks I was almost as proficient with my left as compared to my right. This made me realize that you could train yourself to do almost anything with both hands equally. Since then I have stopped discriminating against my left hand.
    NRA Member

Administrator
    Force yourself and your brain will allow you to do things out of necessity.
    Just make it point to use your support side hand more often for tasks that you normally do only with your strong side.
    Start doing as many mundane one handed chores as possible with your support side hand.
    Just do it on the weekend every once in a while.

Brush your teeth...put the key in the front door...turn on the shower...you get the general idea.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Man, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Man, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous . . .

Nice1.

I once broke three fingers on my right hand so I learned to write half way legibly with my left. A couple times a week I write a few sentences left handed to keep up the skill.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I did take two semesters of typing in high school. That was the only time I can remember (and even now on the keyboard) where both are equal without consciously thinking about it. Some are predisposed to being ambidextrous through life-they just decide at one point or another to favor one more than the other I think. I'm welcoming the transition but I'll remain right eye dominant.

I've had my right (dominant) hand in a cast twice for a few weeks; I got pretty good with the left during that time. It went away as soon as the cast came off though. It can be done, you just need some motivation.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I think being left handed and having to use right handed stuff constantly kinda keeps the skill up, so it makes sense it would work the other way. Which is also why I think most lefties are ambidex.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Absolutely.... I have noticed that. I started out shooting IPSC left handed (made Master), but as my eyesight and dominant eye changed I taught myself how to shoot right handed.

So the benefit now is that I absolutely kill everybody on weak-hand stages in IDPA because I shoot almost as well with either hand....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Links