I'm a kid again!!!

This is a discussion on I'm a kid again!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today one of my childhood memories came back to life. When I was around 6 years old my dad brought home a r/c airplane. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a kid again!!!

I'm a kid again!!!

Today one of my childhood memories came back to life. When I was around 6 years old my dad brought home a r/c airplane. I watched him like a kid does while he put it together. When he was at work I would sneak into his room to look at it and daydream. This fasination lasted many weeks, but as time went by I forgot about it. Fast forward 24 years...... I was at my dads house today and was talking about a r/c helicopter that I had just ordered. I asked my dad if he remembered the r/c airplane that in 24 years ago he never got around to flying. He gave me the little grin that he always gives me when he has something up his sleeve and said come see for a second. We walked out to his little storage building and he produced the same r/c airplane that I had dreams about as a child. This is a 24 year old (at the least) Cox Cessna 182 skylane that has never been flown. The .049 engine was never even started! We looked it over a bit, turned the prop,ect... I said, lets go get some gas! We did. At 4:08 this afternoon the engine was started for the first time ever. The epoxy that he had assembled the plane with had given up, so I re-assembled the tail section and nosepiece. Repaired some missing foam a mouse had removed for us and I am waiting for tommorrow when me and my dad can finally put this thing in the air. I know, lame story, but I had to share. It brought back so many memories.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

2. Remove Ads

Good memories. Cherish the time you still have together, as I'm sure you are doing.

Not a lame story, thats cool. Nice to hear that it fired up for ya.

I was recently introduced to flying "RC planes", flying very expensive models that you guys all pay for, they are a lot of fun. Now to convince the Marines that a grunt needs flight pay and crew rest.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

great story !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. All of us are still the kid at heart, no matter what has happened or caused us to stray from that youthfulness in one way or another. The day we forget what being a kid is like, or dissuade a childhood notion is the day we are done on this earth. God how I love to be a grown kid!
    Good for you, and thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for sharing a great story. These are the memories that make life more enjoyable...nothing beats 'father and son' time...at any age.

Reminds me of the last line of a Cat Stevens song...

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
    Little boy blue and the man on the moon
    When you comin home, Son, I dont know when,
    But we'll get together then, Dad
    We're gonna have a good time then.

Enjoy that relationship!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is a great story. My dad had already passed away by the time I got my pilot's license, and I know he would have loved to go flying with me.

Cherish the moments!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

That's a wonderful story. Cherish every minute, because when your dad is gone, he'll leave a hole that you can never fill. The closest you'll come is by doing things like that with your son(s).
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Thanks for sharing a great story. These are the memories that make life more enjoyable...nothing beats 'father and son' time...at any age.

Reminds me of the last line of a Cat Stevens song...

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
    Little boy blue and the man on the moon
    When you comin home, Son, I dont know when,
    But we'll get together then, Dad
    We're gonna have a good time then.

Enjoy that relationship!
    That bit there is actually a Harry Chapin song. Cat's in the Cradle.

Funny thing though, "Father and Son" is a Cat Stevens song, but those aren't the words.

That's awesome. After years of begging, my dad bought me an ARF r/c plane when I was in 9th grade. I couldn't wait for a nice day so we took it out in some fierce winds. It flew well into the wind, making barely any ground speed. As soon as I tried to turn around, it was going 50 MPH the other way, right into some power wires. Broke both foam wings. Made repairs, and my dad couldn't wait for me. While I was at school the next day, he and our neighbor took it out for a spin. He handed the neighbor the controller so he could hand launch it, told the neigbor to "pull it up." The neighbor obediently pushed the stick up, plowing the plane into many unrecognizable pieces. I came home and my dad had bought me a balsa piper cub kit that took me year to build. It was too heavy and never flew well. Good times anway, have fun out there.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    At one time, I was an avid R/C pilot, but time and money ran a little thin when kids came along. They are a lot of fun, though. I intend on picking up again as soon as my son is old enough.
    I've converted my flying fun to all backyard type flyers and the nitro powered big boys have been hanging in the basement for 4 or 5 years now.
    I've been having a lot of fun with the cheapo Airhogs heli's, the cost $30 to $60 bucks and I can fly them around the living room or office whenever I have a few minutes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    That bit there is actually a Harry Chapin song. Cat's in the Cradle.

Funny thing though, "Father and Son" is a Cat Stevens song, but those aren't the words.
    My error...he does sing it!

Cats in the Cradle Lyrics
    Artist(Band):Cat Stevens
    Review The Song (47)

Cats in the Cradle
    by Harry Chapin

Still a great song!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My error...he does sing it!

[I]Cats in the Cradle Lyrics
    Artist(Band):Cat Stevens
    Review The Song (47)

Actually, that's a mislabelled song that's been circulating on the internet. If you downloaded it, Harry Chapin is the one singing that recording. There are no verified recordings of Cat Stevens ever singing Cat's in the Cradle. His fansite says that he has never sang the song even in private.

But you're right, it is a great song. Have you ever heard 30,000 pounds of bananas?

Thanks for sharing the story, Centermass! That should be a great time.

The trouble with reaching a certain age, is you just don't get as many toys for gifts as you used to. For his birthday, I gave my son-in-law a really nice R/C boat. Now we can have races!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I cherish memories from me and my dad and everything we ever did together,my dad passed in 2001 from cancer,I still wish I had spent more time with him when he was alive,but I realise that even if I spent 24/7 with him my entire life it still wouldn't seem like it was enough once he was gone.my dad bought me a COX german stuka line control plane when i was in the 7th grade and provided me with all the gas and batteries i needed to fly it as much as I wanted,he was career USAF retiring as an E-9 in 1974
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links