3 killed, 57 wounded in Jerusalem terror attack

This is a discussion on 3 killed, 57 wounded in Jerusalem terror attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bulldozer driver shot dead after going on rampage in capital | Jerusalem Post Three people were killed and 57 were wounded - one seriously, one ...

Thread: 3 killed, 57 wounded in Jerusalem terror attack

VIP Member

3 killed, 57 wounded in Jerusalem terror attack

Bulldozer driver shot dead after going on rampage in capital | Jerusalem Post

Three people were killed and 57 were wounded - one seriously, one moderately and the rest lightly - on Wednesday afternoon when a bulldozer driver went on a rampage in downtown Jerusalem.

A half-dozen cars were flattened and others were overturned by the Caterpillar vehicle. A bus was also overturned, and another bus was heavily damaged.

The attack, at the junction of Jaffa Road and Sarei Yisrael St., set off a panic in the area and left a large swath of damage in the heart of the capital. Traffic was halted, and hundreds of people fled through the streets in panic as medics treated the wounded.

A car was dragged several meters by the bulldozer before being crushed under the vehicle. The parents of a baby being treated in Sha'arei Tzedek Hospital have yet to be tracked down, and it is believed that the baby was thrown out of the car by one of his parents before the vehicle was crushed.

A policewoman was first to react, firing at the bulldozer and apparently hitting the terrorist. Another policeman then climbed onto the vehicle and was lightly wounded in a struggle with the attacker.

Finally, an off-duty soldier took a gun from an elite policeman at the scene and shot the terrorist dead. The soldier, Moshe Klessner, 18, is the brother-in-law of IDF officer David Shapira, who killed the terrorist in the Mercaz Harav Yeshiva attack on March 6. Klessner was assisted in neutralizing the attacker by Eli Mizrahi, a member of police's Yasam elite anti-terror unit.

Police said the incident was definitely a terror attack, but stressed that they had no specific warning. Three Palestinian terror groups claimed responsibility for the attack, but security officials said the killer was acting on his own.

Police added that the terrorist, Jabr Duwait, a 30-year-old father of two from Tzur Bahar in southeast Jerusalem, was carrying an Israeli identity card. They said he had a criminal record and was employed by the construction company working on the Jerusalem light rail project. The man drove the bulldozer out of the construction site before perpetrating the attack.

"My son never spoke of plans to carry out such an attack, if he had I would have tried to prevent it," Duwait's father Tayseer told The Media Line as police officers came to question him.

Rescue services confirmed three deaths, and the bodies lay motionless on the ground covered in plastic.

"I saw the bulldozer smash the car with its shovel. He smashed the guy sitting in the driver's seat," said Yaakov Ashkenazi, an 18-year-old seminary student.

Esther Valencia, a 52-year-old pedestrian said she barely escaped the carnage. "He almost hit me. Someone pushed me out of the way at the last moment. It was a miracle that I got out of there."

Sixteen-year-old Eyal Lang Ben-Hur was in a bus when the driver yelled out, "Get out of the vehicle! Everyone out!" People fled in a panic, he said, and the bus was hit an instant later.

Asaf Shalev, who was near the scene of the attack, told The Jerusalem Post that he heard about "an accident" and ran to the area. He described a path of destruction" leading from the construction site, and numerous policemen "examining the bulldozer."

The Media Line News Agency contributed to this report.

This is what I wanted to stress: "Finally, an off-duty soldier took a gun from an elite policeman at the scene and shot the terrorist dead. The soldier, Moshe Klessner, 18, is the brother-in-law of IDF officer David Shapira, who killed the terrorist in the Mercaz Harav Yeshiva attack on March 6. Klessner was assisted in neutralizing the attacker by Eli Mizrahi, a member of police's Yasam elite anti-terror unit."

That's how to deal with terrorists; you don't form a perimeter and wait to see how the situation "develops". You take action.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

bentcursor wrote:
    "That's how to deal with terrorists; you don't form a perimeter and wait to see how the situation "develops". You take action."

+1!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

"Finally, an off-duty soldier took a gun from an elite policeman at the scene and shot the terrorist dead.
    What was the so called elite cop doing where a soldier had to take his gun to engage and kill the bulldozer guy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

saw this on msn
    they have video and everything. peace or not there will always be fighting between the 2.
    israel whoops on em bad every time and they still keep comming
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Arrow End Loader

Saw it on the news this morning. It was an end loader, not a bulldozer.Too bad he couldn't have been stopped sooner.
    U.S. Army Veteran

[QUOTE=bentcursor;771584
    That's how to deal with terrorists; you don't form a perimeter and wait to see how the situation "develops". You take action.[/QUOTE]

+2 Sounds like they need some better taining. If your a cop or a soldier, you are supposed to run toward the sound of the guns.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Virginia Tech...if only someone had had a gun on campus there!

Israel knows how to deal with the real BG's, and it isn't by setting up 'gun free zones'.

OMO

Stay armed...make it legal everywhere...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Israel knows how to deal with the real BG's, and it isn't by setting up 'gun free zones'.

Stay armed...make it legal everywhere...stay safe!
    +1. Unfortunately,they learned and understand from painful experience.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I don't know if they are still doing it, but they probably will bulldoze the home of the Arab, which is a good thing. As for Isreali police, they make the Keystone Cops look like a SWAT Team. The military is top notch.

Man its been awhile since I last posted. Been in Southern Iraq about about 7 months now. Good to have internet again!

Crazy article for the readin. A battle buddy of mine and I are thinking about doing some contract security in Isreal. Should make some good loot, and get a decent amount of experience at the same time. Glad that someone took initiative against this maniac.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

I heard a long, long time ago - and I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard that every israeli MUST serve in the armed forces and afterward they get to keep their weapons (Pistol and rifle). If so, it bugs me that someone else didn't take the perp down right after he started "Loodeloodeloodoooo" yelling and running over people.

Too bad Zeva wasn't there :P

My favorite mussad maiden.

Finally, an off-duty soldier took a gun from an elite policeman at the scene and shot the terrorist dead.
    Sounds more like an elitist from the lack of action, but what do I know.

Kudos to someone to having the presence of mind to terminate the situation effectively.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sounds more like an elitist from the lack of action, but what do I know.

Kudos to someone to having the presence of mind to terminate the situation effectively.
    I've heard, but haven't been able to confirm, that the Israeli soldier took the gun from the policeman who was struggling with the bulldozer driver and couldn't reach his own gun.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Links