Seeking advice...

This is a discussion on Seeking advice... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been pondering motorcycles as an alternate means of transportation. I have always liked motorcycles(blame it on my dad, owned Harleys and Hondas). I ...

Thread: Seeking advice...

Seeking advice...

I have been pondering motorcycles as an alternate means of transportation. I have always liked motorcycles(blame it on my dad, owned Harleys and Hondas). I would be a beginner and want something I can use around town and for short to medium distance trips when I gain more experience with it. I am planning to take a motorcycle safety course before testing for a license. Was considering something in the 500 to 700 cc range. I have considered the Honda Shadow or Triumph Bonneville T-100 as a starter bike. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Just a runabout bike? Get something light and easy to maneuver when in town. No need for gobs of horsepower so sport bikes would be over kill.

Honda, Kawi, Yamaha, Suzuki are top of the line. I am/was a motorcycle tech and I was at a Triumph dealer. Didnt care for them much.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

YOU will have to lay it over &pick it back up in the test I beleave.

You are thinking the right size of bike. The video "motorcycle proficiency" is very good on techniques, etc. The Suz C50, Vulcan 800, Vulcan 900, Honda Shadow, Yamaha 650 are all good bikes. Depends upon Triumph dealership in your area, but I would tend to go with one of the other ones.

Definitely take the Safety Course. Even a scoot will get you better gas mileage. Beware though, being new to it and riding on really busy streets... present the most hazards to your health and welfare.

Administrator
    Short to medium trips... how many miles are we talking about? Surface streets or highway? Any plans for a passenger?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I started riding a scooter recently. Since I work in a 30mph zone,and I only have to travel about 7 miles total, less than 2 miles in a 45mph zone.

I've got 220 miles on it since new, yet I've put just over a gallon of gas into it.

I'm also laying here with a hospital band on my wist,and ice on my leg. I dropped it while riding around yesterday on my day off, broke the mirror off. Bruised my leg up good, I managed to ride it home before getting a ride to the hospital.

Out of work until saturday. Blah.

I ride a Harley now...but a good start could be a Honda Shadow. I had the 1100cc Shadow for 5 years and it was a great bike. You could start with the 750cc!

Stay armed...ride cheap...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 2nd, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Keep your health insurance current! I thought about then when I was starting to drive, until I joined a rescue squad and started riding an ambulance. I've picked up too many people to ever ride one myself. And be sure to sign your organ donor card- we need organs, and motorcycles are a great source!

i have a bike im working on getting running again, grandfather gave me a 1980 Honda CM400 (E i think) but it needs some work. they can be fun, but it is dangerous. think of the time you got cut off by a semi or something on the road, its a lot different on a bike, what is a "wth dude" in a car, can be a "holy spit im about to lay down my bike"

you can be the best rider in the world, but if your around morons, something is bound to happen.

im partial to kawasaki, but suzuki and yamaha have nice bikes ( i prefer the crotch rockets) ide love to have a nice little sport bike like

have fun and ride safe... and post a ton of pics if/when you do get one
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Keep your health insurance current! I thought about then when I was starting to drive, until I joined a rescue squad and started riding an ambulance. I've picked up too many people to ever ride one myself. And be sure to sign your organ donor card- we need organs, and motorcycles are a great source!
    Boy-now if that aint throwin' a turd in the punch bowl! Even a four cylinder car will save you big time. I drive a 1.9 liter to work and back 14 days a month 120 miles round trip. Average $40 a week. A bike would be nice, but take into account the weather, and insurance--you may get to ride it half the year but it would have benefits. I know I'm not much help.

Squawker,
    Thanks for that morbid thought 1st thing in the morning. I'll keep my organs if you please. I'm not done with them yet and have grown rather attached to them. Have a happy 4th of July everybody.

Links