What stupid laws have you had personal experience with?

This is a discussion on What stupid laws have you had personal experience with? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are a lot of stupid laws out there. I was just wondering, which ones have you had personal experience with. Here is one that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What stupid laws have you had personal experience with?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

There are a lot of stupid laws out there. I was just wondering, which ones have you had personal experience with.

Here is one that happened to me. I was stopped by my friendly LEO. (Actually, he was pretty cool as he let me off with a warning.) I had some moving violation and he explained to me that my tinted windows were illegal. Turns out, it is legal for the dealer to sell them, it is legal for me to own them, but it is illegal for me to have them when I am stopped by a LEO.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I find the license plate frame law in Texas is absurd.All these years,plates had a metal or plastic frame around them.Now you can get a ticket for this.It is said the frame covers up the state name.Most do not.I guess some people keep a job by enacting new laws.

It's against the law to flirt in Arkansas..so I have to be careful.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm...I didnt know that.

I'll try to pay attention and not flirt with you.

You dont look like my type anyway...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I bet DrLeewall get's Flirted with when he wears that KILT.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    It's against the law to flirt in Arkansas..so I have to be careful.
    What's worse state or getting caught by your wife?
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    It is illegal to buy or sell chewing gum in Singapore. It was a ten thousand Sing. dollar fine per pack of gum if caught. I don't know the exchange rate but it's about 20k american dollars.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

If you are in the village of Calumet, MI you need to ask permission from the DDA (Downtown Development Authority) to be approved. They will allow certain looks, certain colors, certain windows, certain doors, certain siding options. It's a national historic park so it's all about preserving the history. BS. That's why I live in the town a quarter mile away. No BS. Do what you want. If it's permanent and outside your foundation, the permit is $50.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It is illegal to buy or sell chewing gum in Singapore. It was a ten thousand Sing. dollar fine per pack of gum if caught. I don't know the exchange rate but it's about 20k american dollars.
    +1. That law is a real intresting one we delt with in the Navy.

Georgia's "Public Gathering" law is a pain.....way too much left to interpretation.

here in PA, you can buy and sell "questionable" weapons, like blackjacks/saps, switchblades, cane swords, nunchuks, shuriken, and balisongs/butterfly knives. you can buy them, you just can't own them.

make sense of that one

Sort of like in WA you can buy and own a suppressor, but can't use it on a firearm.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Stupid Laws from Texas. ... The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home. ...
    In Canada, It is illegal for a teen to walk down main street for Fort Qu'Appelle with their shoes untied.
    In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

In Norfolk, Virginia, a woman can't go out without wearing a corset. (There was a civil-service job- for men only- called a corset inspector.)
    It is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor in Denver.
    In Woodstock, NY it is illegal to walk your bear on the street without a leash.
    It's safe to make love while parked in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Police officers aren't allowed to walk up and knock on the window. Any suspicious officer who thinks that sex is taking place must drive up from behind, honk his horn three times and wait approximately two minutes before getting out of his car to investigate.
    In California, community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.
    In Connecticut, you are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.
    In Florida, women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
    In Florida, a special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing
    In New York, a fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
    In Florida, if an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
    It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit in Sarasota Florida.
    In New Mexico, females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.
    Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown in Florida.
    In Florida, any form of sexual contact other than missionary position is a misdomeanor. (This is still a law. There have been several cases of people being brought up on these charges in the past 5 years alone. If the police enter a home with a warrent for some other crime and catch the 'culprits' in action, they can, and are, brought up on those charges.)
    In fire-sensitive Chicago, it is against the law to eat in an establishment that is on fire.
    Women in Joliet, Illinois, can be arrested for trying on more than six dresses in one store..that there law musta been passed by men
    We're not sure what led to this one: In Natoma, Kansas it's against the law to practice knife throwing at men wearing striped suits. maybe lots of prisoners with knifes stuck in them.
    Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault" in Louisiana.
    In Seattle, goldfish can ride the city buses in bowls only if they keep still.
    In Massachusetts mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches
    No woman may have sex with a man while riding in an ambulance within the boundaries of Tremonton, Utah. If caught, the woman can be charged with a sexual misdemeanor and "her name is to be published in the local newspaper." The man isn't charged nor is his name revealed
    You can't use elephants to plow cotton fields in North Carolina.
    In Quitman, Georgia, it is against the law for a chicken to cross any road within the city limits. Now we know why the chicken didn't cross the road
    It's against the law to get a fish drunk in Oklahoma.
    No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife in Pennsylvania.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This ones gun related......In the quiet town of Connorsville, Wisconsin, it's illegal for a man to shoot off a gun when his female partner has an orgasm.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

In Texas it's legal for a chicken to have sex with you, but it's illegal to reciprocate.
    uhoh

In Tennessee a man must walk in front of any car driven by a woman while waving a red flag as a warning.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Got cornered by an LEO in Smithfield, VA one night as I was in a store paying for gas, on my way home from work as a uniformed security officer.

Told me that my badge violated state law and made me take it off. My badge was a seven point star. Supposedly some state code said only Sheriffs can wear stars.

Told me he would get me a copy of the law. He did, but it was sufficiantly ambiguous that it did not apply to me. Said something about five point stars, can't remember the specifics.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links