Rainbow Family in WY?

This is a discussion on Rainbow Family in WY? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 400 members of Rainbow Family surround, attack federal officers Forest Service officials stoned by hippie group allowed to displace Boy Scouts' service project Posted: July ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow Family in WY?

VIP Member

Rainbow Family in WY?

400 members of Rainbow Family surround, attack federal officers
    Forest Service officials stoned by hippie group allowed to displace Boy Scouts' service project
    Posted: July 05, 2008
    6:16 pm Eastern

2008 WorldNetDaily

National Forest Service officials, surrounded and attacked yesterday in Wyoming with sticks and stones by 400 members of the Rainbow Family, were given reason to regret their decision to cancel a long-planned national service project by the Boy Scouts of America in favor of the unorganized annual gathering of hippies, anarchists and "free spirits" who commune with nature and each other.

According to a statement released by the Forest Service's Incident Command Team in Rock Springs, Wyo., officers patrolling the main meadow of the seven-day event held near Sandy Springs made contact with a man who fled and was later apprehended. A second Rainbow attendee was detained for interfering in the arrest.

As 10 officers began to leave the area with their suspects, they were surrounded by an estimated 400 members of the Rainbow Family. A request for additional officers was made.

See remainder of article here:

I've never even heard of this group before, and I suspect there is more to this story all the way around. Those of you in Wyoming, are you hearing more about this locally?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Couldn't have happened. National Parks are safe havens for people and animals. You know, the typical "Gun Free Zone"!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Damn hippies...

Administrator
    Forest Service officials stoned by hippie group allowed to displace Boy Scouts' service project
    So, lemme try and get this straight... the officers got stoned or the hippies were/got stoned?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    We get these chaps in the Ocala national forest down here in Florida as well.

Fortunately, being a national forest managed by the state, CCW is permitted there.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    So, lemme try and get this straight... the officers got stoned or the hippies were/got stoned?
    Definitely the former, as I read it (and quite possibly the latter too).
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

So did the hippies and free spirits have bad karma that day?

I thought hippies were all about peace and love? Anyone else having images of Ewoks?

EDIT: Straight from wikipedia:
    The Rainbow Family of Living Light, also known as The Rainbow Family, are a loosely affiliated group of individuals committed to principles of non-violence and non-hierarchical egalitarianism. Founded in 1972 in the United States, the Rainbow Family has held annual Gatherings in National Forests for the first week of July each year. The Rainbow Gatherings are non-commercial and all who wish to attend peacefully are welcome. There are no leaders, and traditionally the gatherings take place for a week, with a primary focus on the Fourth of July in North America, when attendees pray, meditate, or observe silence in a group effort to focus on World Peace. Thus, the name Rainbow Family of Living Light is a reflection of both the emphasis on welcoming people of all races, religions, ethnicity, and social status, as well as a spiritual focus towards peace
    Good to see that they are living up to their goals.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post

I've never even heard of this group before, and I suspect there is more to this story all the way around. Those of you in Wyoming, are you hearing more about this locally?
    Had a little contact, mostly dealing with the totally trashed results of one of their Gatherings. Why anyone in the USFS even considered getting in bed with them in the first place

See:
    Rainbow Family of Living Light Unofficial Home Page

It is longstanding Rainbow Family consensus that nobody has ever, or ever will represent the Rainbow Family. This is an unofficial collection of information on the Rainbow Family and the Rainbow Gatherings, and in no way should anyone who works on this web site be considered to be representing the Rainbow Family. For the rest of the disclaimer, Go to the Bottom.
    Since various Law Enforcement agencies and the Forest Service can't seem to understand the preceeding paragraph, go to this link for a more verbose and simplified version especially for you.
    and

and

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

National Forest Service officials, surrounded and attacked yesterday in Wyoming with sticks and stones by 400 members of the Rainbow Family, were given reason to regret their decision to cancel a long-planned national service project by the Boy Scouts of America in favor of the unorganized annual gathering of hippies, anarchists and "free spirits" who commune with nature and each other.
    Hm. The FS officials cancel a Boy Scouts gathering in favor of Rainbows, then get sticks and stones liberally applied for their efforts. Ah, the irony of payback for such thinking.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. The FS officials cancel a Boy Scouts gathering in favor of Rainbows, then get sticks and stones liberally applied for their efforts. Ah, the irony of payback for such thinking.
    I know. Makes me cry. Oh wait, that's from laughing so hard.

Oh, was that rude?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Maybe I'll send a check to the Boy Scouts in celebration. I like the Boy Scouts, not so much anybody who dis's them.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Unfortunately, that is not the way it worked. USFS administrators made the deal with the devil. They are the ones who booted an honorable organization in favor of a bunch of dopers and hippies. It was the Forest Service LEO's who got pelted with rocks and sticks. Forest Service LEO's are no friends of the Bo Bo's! They were there just doing their job and trying to protect both the resources and the non-dope smoking, non-felony warrant folks trying to enjoy the forest. The administrators were, I assure you, safely ensconsed in their District Office, not getting pelted by anything. The nastiest, filthiest, most foul-mouthed prisoner I have ever put in the back of my patrol car was a 16-year-old runaway who was with the Bo Bo's. She called me names that would make a Marine blush.
    Gonzo
    Last edited by TheGreatGonzo; July 6th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Unfortunately, that is not the way it worked. USFS administrators made the deal with the devil. They are the ones who booted an honorable organization in favor of a bunch of dopers and hippies. It was the Forest Service LEO's who got pelted with rocks and sticks. Forest Service LEO's are no friends of the Bo Bo's! They were there just doing there job and trying to protect both the resources and the non-dope smoking, non-felony warrant folks trying to enjoy the forest. The administrators were, I assure you, safely ensconsed in their District Office, not getting pelted by anything.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Sounds right. What I can't figure is what the the desk riding administrators thought would come of this deal, in the first place.

She called me names that would make a Marine blush.
    Yeah, right. The only names I ever seen make a Marine blush were names like "Hero" , but I'm prejudiced -- not that I had that opportunity.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sure glad I don't live in Wyoming anymore - I would probably end up in jail. I will be shocked if there isn't some sort of unintended consequences to this.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

How about first person throws deadly weapon AKA "ROCK"gets shot right between the eyes I bet there would be no more rock throwing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links