Do any of you hate the place where you work? Am I alone?

This is a discussion on Do any of you hate the place where you work? Am I alone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I really am starting to detest where I work. I mean bad. I am pretty sure I couldn't hate this place any worse if I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you hate the place where you work? Am I alone?

Do any of you hate the place where you work? Am I alone?

I really am starting to detest where I work. I mean bad. I am pretty sure I couldn't hate this place any worse if I was required to get hit in the head with a baseball bat every morning when I got there.

So, just wondering if there are any members on here besides me who really, really, really hate where they work or if I am just the most unhappy guy on this site or what.

I think it is time to start looking in earnest for a job where I will be a bit more happy...
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

I think it is time to start looking in earnest for a job where I will be a bit more happy...
    Yes! You really need to do that! Imagine if it were the other way around - you had a job you really LOVED! Hours wouldn't matter, money wouldn't matter (within limits), location wouldn't matter, etc. If it means putting in some extra time going to school then do it. Work hard towards what you want. It'll be tough but with such a great goal ahead of you it'll be worth the effort! You're the one who has to put in the effort. You're the one who has to make the changes. Jobs you really love don't usually just fall into your lap these days. Good luck to you!

jp

VIP Member
    I'm sure that after the first bat to the head employment would be the least of you concerns. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I really am starting to detest where I work. I mean bad. I am pretty sure I couldn't hate this place any worse if I was required to get hit in the head with a baseball bat every morning when I got there.

So, just wondering if there are any members on here besides me who really, really, really hate where they work or if I am just the most unhappy guy on this site or what.

Explains your AVATAR I love my work place....oh yea that's because I own half the company.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Mike, dont feel bad. I ran a construction company for many years and did well. Now the economy has forced me to work for another person. Dang! being self employed most of your life and then working under someone? No sir, dont like it one bit. I am used to calling the shots, but a mans got to do what a mans got to do to survive.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I thought you already found another job, discovered the grass was not greener, and went back to your old one? I'm perfectly happy with what I do. I realize that I don't make a six figure salary, nor do I feel I deserve one for the job I do. Would it be nice? Sure! Does that affect the way I feel about my job? Nope. Sometimes you have to look at what your job lets you do, i.e. the time you spend on the recliner as a dog warmer (as I am doing right now), or time with your kids, or just time to be yourself. Having the means and time to do what you want - be it shooting a bunch, riding your bike 20 miles a day, or just being crawled on by small mammals - is something you can't put a monetary value on.

JD
    Administrator

Take a guess.

We took a survey, and this is how bad it is....

49% of the company would walk tomorrow if we could all find the work.

I would like to thank everyone who participated in the 2008 ________ Employee Engagement Survey. We achieved a 76 percent response rate, including more than 32,000 paper surveys and more than 25,000 electronic responses. Thousands of employees also took the time to write in comments on ways to improve the organization. We appreciate your feedback – it will help us become a better company.

Before reviewing a high-level summary of our company-wide employee engagement scores, keep in mind that “employee engagement” represents the combination of the responses to four statements in the survey:

-- Overall, I am extremely satisfied with ________ as a place to work

-- I would gladly recommend a good friend or family member to ___________ for employment

-- I rarely think about looking for a new job with another company

-- I am proud to say that I work for ________.

Employee Engagement

Overall, our employee engagement score is 51 percent favorable. That’s 10 percent better than the engagement score from the 2005 survey,

Yeah, you read that right, the fact that 49% of us are disgruntled, is 10% better than the last survey.

so we are making progress. However, our score is still 20 percent below the scores of a set of global companies benchmarked by Kenexa, the company we worked with to conduct the survey. And our score is 30 percent below the norm of a set of Best in Class companies. I am pleased that we are improving and have positive momentum, but we still have a long way to go.

As we look in more detail at the results, there are a number of areas that could significantly improve our overall employee engagement. These areas include: Collaboration and Teamwork, where the TE score is 54 percent favorable; Employee Growth and Development, where the TE score is 48 percent favorable, and Communications, where our score was 53 percent favorable.

Finally, here is a snapshot of the survey questions that received the highest favorable responses as well as the lowest favorable responses:

Highest Favorable Response

I am held accountable for my performance
    83 percent favorable

I understand my performance goal
    82 percent favorable

_________'s ethics and compliance information and training help me identify proper behavior
    71 percent favorable

Lowest Favorable Responses

I have advancement opportunities in __________
    38 percent favorable

I rarely think about looking for a new job with another company
    41 percent favorable

Within my business unit there is good cooperation and communication
    44 percent favorable

Next Steps

These results represent a high-level, company-wide snapshot. As you can imagine, the results vary by business units, regions and sites. Each of our business unit and functional leaders has been provided with their data and will be sharing it with their teams soon. In addition, we are reviewing the survey results to get a better understanding of where we should focus our improvement efforts—at all levels of the organization.

You will be hearing much more about the survey results and our improvement actions in the weeks ahead. Again, thank you to everyone who participated in the survey. Your feedback will help us in our efforts to make _________ a truly great company.

I look forward to providing regular updates on our progress.
    I like my boss, I love the job I do, I like the department I'm in, I even like the equipment and customers I handle.

But I hate the company.

And yes, I am about to apply for another job sometime this week.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    It is amazing but very few people actually like their line of work.

I was at a 4th of July party and one guy was telling me at his 20th High School reunion of a world famous doctor who graduated from his class. This doctor, a former friend of his, was a multi-millionaire, the top guy in the world for his surgical specialty and loved by all his patience and their parents for saving their lives. (He was some specialized pediatric surgeon.) He HATES his job.

Find something you are passionate about and do it. It may require a financial sacrifice for a while, some retraining, yada yada yada, but you will be happier and that makes all the difference in the world.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Yeah, I hear you. I am so tired of working where I am (home improvement retail box store). I can't wait to finish my degree and get the heck out of there and go LEO.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Mine is similar to JD's. I love my job, I love the department I'm in and until he quit I liked my boss. I hate the company and I really dislike the idiot they replaced my former supevisor with.

Bottom line, if you can't find anything you like about your job its past time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. I am so tired of working where I am (home improvement retail box store). I can't wait to finish my degree and get the heck out of there and go LEO.
    ...go LEO? Now there's a line of work that will certainly lift your image of mankind!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Mike, dont feel bad. I ran a construction company for many years and did well. Now the economy has forced me to work for another person. Dang! being self-employed most of your life and then working under someone? No sir, don't like it one bit. I am used to calling the shots, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do to survive.
    I can relate.
    I was a school superintendent and had a board that trusted me...almost a 5 year honeymoon.
    I retired 10 years ago, but three years ago, after being retired and going nuts here in the GunShine State, I took a job in a local high school. I do enjoy the job...I have a different attitude because I don't have to work, and choose to do so.
    I get along with the school administration quite well, and respect is mutual...I feel supported, and trusted to do my thing. Situations do not always 'flow' as I would have had them done...that's life.

Let's face it, working for a living is not all it's cracked up to be.
    As long as the 'pluses' our weigh the 'minuses', I'm good to go...the extra bucks allows me to buy more guns and ammo.

If anyone finds the perfect occupation, in the perfect city, working for the perfect boss...I suggest that you write a book and put that 'science fiction' piece in all the bookstores.

Stay armed...stay positive (negativity is a killer)...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I own my own company, so I think I love my job. If I decide not to go to work one morning, my boss doesn't complain!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Mike, I can identify with you. I have been there. I love what I do now. Working with students is great. I get to share with them bits of wisdom like: Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like. I have had jobs where I was miserable, but had keep doing it to survive, but as soon as I could I moved on. I'll be praying for you.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

When I was in high school I applied for a job at Hardees,not because I liked Hardees but this girl I really liked worked there and I figured I could break the ice,never got hired and about 2 weeks later some other girl caught my eye.I learned in the last 34 years of working that life is too short to be miserable find a job you think you would pay to work and then go to school or trade school to accomplish that goal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links