What would you do...holster maker not keeping his word

This is a discussion on What would you do...holster maker not keeping his word within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First let me say I am not going to mention names as it would serve no purpose other then to turn this thread into a...I ...

Thread: What would you do...holster maker not keeping his word

What would you do...holster maker not keeping his word

First let me say I am not going to mention names as it would serve no purpose other then to turn this thread into a...I got great service from him...never had a problem...+1 no problems...type of thread.

I have never read a bad thing about this maker or his products. The reason for this thread is that I feel that this person has not held to his word. A persons word is extremely important to me. When you break it…especially after I have asked u twice…It usually means one of two things...you are either not very trust worthy or I am not worth your time.

When I got my Baer 1911 I could only picture it in one leather crafters rig...and i told him that. I hated the idea of waiting many months for it but everyone says it's worth it ECT ECT. So I contact him through email back and forth a few times and asked how he worked the payment...he said they charge when it ships. Being that delivery should fall right around Christmas I asked if I could make a couple of payments so I wouldn't be hit with the full amount at gift buying time. He said sure, a lot of people make a deposit at the time of order then pay the balance at time of delivery.

I place my order for a complete rig...holster, belt and a couple of mag holders...to me this is a huge investment. I use my Visa debit card that is attached to my bank account and say take X amount as a deposit. He says everything is set and he'll take the deposit. Two weeks roll by and I see no charge from him has hit my account. No problem, I’ll just send him an email reminder. His reply was, I overlooked it and I will charge it next Thursday...that was 3 weeks ago.

In my email I mentioned that I hated having to question the deposit but a $450 hit to my bank account at Christmas could hurt. What do I do? I do not feel I should have to beg someone to take my money...and if I have to ask him a 3rd time that is what I feel I would be doing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I'll take the money and hold on to it for you till the holidays if he won't

This seems like a non-problem to me. Just set aside the amount of money that you would pay to your credit card for the deposit until time comes to pay remainder of leather money. You can stick in in your savings account, closet, shoebox, whatever. That way you could still make the smaller, monthly payments to save yourself from the large debit when your gear is ready.

I think that most of these quality, holster makers have little time for the "details". I'm sure he meant to take care of you or maybe he's got an employee that takes care of the business end. Don't know but most of these holster makers charge at time of shipment.

jp

A much worse situation is when the holster maker takes your money up front, then you don't hear from him for two years . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

The only thing that I'd recommend would be to switch from the debit card to a real credit card. You have certain legal protections with a credit card that you don't necessarily have with the debit card. You also won't have to worry about an unexpected hit to your checking account that could affect other outstanding items or your liquidity.

Other than that, as the others have said, tuck the money away, in another account completely if you have one, and enjoy the little bit of interest that it earns on your behalf, rather than his.

BTW, what's a guy in WI need a carry rig for anyway?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawwg View Post
    This seems like a non-problem to me. Just set aside the amount of money that you would pay to your credit card for the deposit until time comes to pay remainder of leather money. You can stick in in your savings account, closet, shoebox, whatever. That way you could still make the smaller, monthly payments to save yourself from the large debit when your gear is ready.

I think that most of these quality, holster makers have little time for the "details". I'm sure he meant to take care of you or maybe he's got an employee that takes care of the business end. Don't know but most of these holster makers charge at time of shipment.

jp

I was hoping the "non issue" reply would be further down the list in hopes of getting some replies more to my liking before the dog pile started

I have to say that you also hit on exactly what's eating me about this...You said "I think that most of these quality, holster makers have little time for the "details"."...I am their bread and butter...the little guy! Also, if it's true what you said about some of them having people they pay to handle the business part of their operation...shouldn't that person actually be doing what they’re getting paid to do?

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

BTW, what's a guy in WI need a carry rig for anyway?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!
    lol good catch...it's a BBQ rig

What I like to do is withdraw it as "spent" from my ledger anyway, with a note saying it's not cleared. That way I see my balance as what it should be had he taken the deposit and not what it really is according to the bank.

As for the holster maker, I don't see him as having broken his word, more as being busy. Think of him like your grandpa, where he'll run a bunch of charges at once and only when he's really and in the mindset to fiddle with the "little things".

I might send him another email saying you're worried another check will hit or something will come up and he won't be able to take his money out.
    By all means don't throw a fit and ruin your relationship with what could be a great holsterer.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    lol good catch...it's a BBQ rig
    Nice BBQ rig. How about a pic of the Baer?!

BTW, I grew up in WI.......whereabouts?

lol thanks guys...i guess with the whole mid life b-day being tomorrow i was feeling a little grumpy. I'm still sticking to my guns in thinking that he should do what he says he would

Farthest most southeast corner of the state...all my life, David.
    Grrr nothing cheers me up faster then being able to post a pic of one of my children.

Lead Moderator
    If you wish to post the problem in the "Where's my holster " thread feel free to do so. Or if you wish that I move your post there, PM me or another mod.We have been thru this holster maker controversy before , therefore I am closing this thread. I know markush didn't intend to create a whirlwind with this thread, but past posts have proven where this will end.
    Link to thread:http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...y-holster.html
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links