Brass Burns...bad?

Brass Burns...bad?

This is a discussion on Brass Burns...bad? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any of you actually run into severe burns from spent 9mm brass? I've never seen any 9mm burn so bad. I've held it in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brass Burns...bad?

Any of you actually run into severe burns from spent 9mm brass? I've never seen any 9mm burn so bad. I've held it in my hands right after ejection, had it go down my shirts, shorts, in my sandals, etc...you get the idea. I was speaking with a friend visiting for the afternoon that mentioned she had gone to the range this past week and used another acquaintance's 9mm (i'm guessing a beretta 92fs based on the description).

At any rate she mentioned it was consistently ejecting straight backward which posed a clear problem...they kept going down her shirt(even though it wasn't low cut). One managed to get stuck in the middle apparently and it's quite clear she has a pretty bad matching pair of burns to the extent that they actually blistered up pretty bad. I was figuring he must have given her some extra hot rounds with the gun or something.

...and no I'm not posting photos.

Anyone ever get bad burns from normal 9mm brass?

Just another reminder I suppose. Make sure if you're taking your wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother, sister to the range that they're wearing appropriate attire.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Both my .45 and my 9mm spent shell casings bounce around in the gearworks above the booths where I shoot. They usually fall out behind me but every once in awhile I get one on my melon, and a few times I've had 9mm's wedge between my glasses and the right side of my face just below my temple. If I don't fish it out right away, it burns a bright red mark and I suspect if I left it long enough it would blister. It happened to me with a .45 +P once and it did blister, immediately.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Oh man I remember one session at an indoor range one winter with my Mark II, a too loose T shirt neck line, and several nice blisters on my chest!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    I've been hit with tons of hot brass, but none left nothing more than a red mark.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had 223 went down back of shirt and left blisters,brass is extremely hot when first ejected and some skin is more tender than your hands
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Friend of mine got a hot .40 cal brass lodged between his shooting glasses and his temple. Gave him a small 2nd degree burn. A year later, he still has a little scar there.

Wasn't a big deal and he kept good muzzle discipline but I was surprised he actually got a 2nd degree burn. When we left the range, the skin was sloughing off and had a small open lesion on his face.

I've been hit in the face plenty of times, but if the brass just bounces off, it isn't a big deal. But with J-Man, it got lodged in there and just kind of sizzled for a second or two.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Get a good shootin hat
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    During my first federal academy, one of my classmates got an ejected 147-grain Hydroshock between his shooting glasses and his face. He maintained excellent muzzle discipline, so it was several seconds before he could remove it. It resulted in a small, permanent half-moon shaped scar on his cheek.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Yep, turns out, brass does get pretty hot after containing a controlled explosion.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Yep, turns out, brass does get pretty hot after containing a controlled explosion.
    yeah thanks for pointing out the obvious. I had just never seen it burn to that kind of a point before. Anything I ever got from it was a little red mark here or there, not blistering and skin peeling off.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I doubt just getting hit with spent brass will be enough to get a burn, but it's fairly reasonable to assume that if a piece of recently spent brass made prolonged contact in...places...a pretty bad burn could result.

-JT

Whenever I take out new female shooters I go over that scenario.

If you get one down your shirt and it gets caught, turn away from the people who are now pointing and laughing, reach from the bottom up and pull shirt and bra away from your skin. The hot brass should fall out.

If you go in after it, there's two problems. One, it's hot, two ,it's sharp. You also run a good chance of driving it down deeper for a separate or longer burn.

Source: My daughter, who now has a very interesting tattoo.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    yeah thanks for pointing out the obvious. I had just never seen it burn to that kind of a point before. Anything I ever got from it was a little red mark here or there, not blistering and skin peeling off.
    I have a feeling the places that brass hits you, are not quite as 'sensitive' as where brass hit her.

I've picked up a pan off the stove and never even thought about it being hot, but when my wife picked up the same pan a minute after I did, it left a welt.

I bet you don't use moisturizing lotion or Skin-So-Soft or anything like that, either. Women spend untold amount of money trying to make their skin as soft as possible...guys don't.

I don't think brass is that hot, but I've never caught one in a bra, either...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

What causes the difference for a burn or welt is the time spent in contact with the skin. 2weeks ago I took my 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son out shooting my new Glock 30sf. While standing behind my daughter a half step to the right I got hit with a piece of brass at the crook of my elbow and since it is about 100 degrees out here I was sweating and the brass stuck to my arm for about 2 seconds. I got a nice little burn and it boiled up. The brass does come out hot, but if doesn't maintain contact you shouldn't have any problem(should I also translate this post into spanish for all Obama supporters?)
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Administrator
    Qué causa la diferencia para una quemadura o un verdugón es el tiempo pasado en contacto con la piel. hace 2weeks tomé a mi hija de 17 años y a hijo de 14 años hacia fuera que tiraban mi nuevo Glock 30sf. Mientras que se colocaba detrás de mi hija un medio paso a la derecha conseguí golpe con un pedazo de latón en el ladrón de mi codo y puesto que es cerca de 100 grados hacia fuera aquí sudaba y el latón pegado a mi brazo por cerca de 2 segundos. Conseguí a agradable poco quemadura e hirvió para arriba. El latón sale caliente, pero si no mantiene el contacto tú no debe tener cualquier problema (si también traduzco este poste al español para todos los partidarios de Obama?)

There you go!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links