I might not be around much for a while...

This is a discussion on I might not be around much for a while... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I decided this weekend to re-dedicate myself to getting in even better shape than I am now. As a lot of you know, almost 2 ...

Thread: I might not be around much for a while...

I decided this weekend to re-dedicate myself to getting in even better shape than I am now.

As a lot of you know, almost 2 years ago now, I lost 160 pounds. I still ride my bicycle on average 100 miles a week this summer and I go to the gym to lift weights 3 times a week.

Well, the old body isn't coming along nearly as quickly as I want so I am stepping it up a notch or two. I am changing my weight routine around a good bit and I am going to lift 6 times a week now starting tomorrow, Monday the 14th.
    I will still be riding my bike at least 100 miles a week, more if I can swing that too.

So, I may not be seen around here too much as I expect to be busy whipping myself into better shape than I already am.
    By the way, my resting heart rate Saturday when measured by my neighbor who is an R.N. was 45. So I think cardio-wise, I am in pretty good shape as it is, but I want more.

I'll try to pop in from time to time but for the most part I will be in the gym or riding my butt off on the bike.

Talk to you when I can guys....Mike
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Take care Mike, make sure you alternate what muscles you are working when lifting that often. Your weight loss is an amazing feat, and your persistence is admirable.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Run a couple of laps for me, too.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Send me your junk food,LOL wow good job All it takes is a little dedication to accomplish a goal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Train hard...enjoy the journey...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Mike, get one of those new IPhones and post from the road!
    Have fun!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Mike, best of luck.

Does your gym have the Expresso.net bikes? Easy way to do bike-riding in A/C while getting a decent work-out, avoiding traffic dangers, weather, etc.
    https://www.expresso.net/UserPortal/welcome.do

I know you didn't ask for any advice, but that's never stopped me before........

I turn 50 this year. A couple of years ago I was out of shape, getting fat and lazy and decided to do something about it. I signed up for a triathlon, knowing that having to run a race would force me to get off my fat, lazy butt. After 2 years, I'm training towards a 1/2 ironman and want to do a full ironman within the next 2 years. I'm in the best shape of my life and I'm having a ball.

You're already riding a lot and have a good cardio base. Why not have some fun with it too? Sign up for a sprint triathlon......they're usually about a 1/2 mile swim, 13 mile bike, and a 5k run. A ton of fun and the cross training that you get from the 3 distinct disciplines will keep you motivated and fresh.

Regardless, congratulations on your efforts.....and best of luck!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    what are your goals.................Build Muscle? Lose Fat? Strength?
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Anytime someone is able to lose that much weight it is worth a commendation! Keep up the good work! As earlier stated, I know you didn't for advice or comments, but 6 days a week? Eeesh! Be careful you don't hurt yourself.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    As a lot of you know, almost 2 years ago now, I lost 160 pounds.
    You've lost an entire BACKSTREET BOY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    ... but I want more.
    You've crossed over.

You'll know when you are in the realm of official "Sick Puppy" when you begin doing 10K's and half marathons for kicks, or merely to keep company with buddies who are racing. You'll know, when you have to swap running shoes and bicycle tires more frequently than oil changes in the family car.

Enjoy the fitness!

By the way, did anyone notice he was popping in, at 2am? Sheesh, Mike, the "24hr Fitness" folks were just kidding.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    what are your goals.................Build Muscle? Lose Fat? Strength?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I know you didn't ask for any advice, but that's never stopped me before........

I turn 50 this year. A couple of years ago I was out of shape, getting fat and lazy and decided to do something about it. I signed up for a triathlon, knowing that having to run a race would force me to get off my fat, lazy butt. After 2 years, I'm training towards a 1/2 ironman and want to do a full ironman within the next 2 years. I'm in the best shape of my life and I'm having a ball.

You're already riding a lot and have a good cardio base. Why not have some fun with it too? Sign up for a sprint triathlon......they're usually about a 1/2 mile swim, 13 mile bike, and a 5k run. A ton of fun and the cross training that you get from the 3 distinct disciplines will keep you motivated and fresh.

Regardless, congratulations on your efforts.....and best of luck!
    Thanks for the advice, but, due to injury and a lot of metal in my knees now after the rebuilds, I can't run. It is a minor miricle that I am able to walk. So, all of my cardio is done no-impact. Bicycle and elliptical machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    By the way, did anyone notice he was popping in, at 2am? Sheesh, Mike, the "24hr Fitness" folks were just kidding.
    As a matter of fact, when I posted that at 2am, I had just gotten back from the gym. I get my workout in where ever and when ever I am able. I have 5 kids and they take up a whole lot of my wife's and my time. So, if I want to take any time for me, it has to be after the time I devote to being a Dad is done And their day is over.

Heading to the gym now, tonight it is an early night for my gym time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links