Dog Breed Selection Advice

This is a discussion on Dog Breed Selection Advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I figure a lot of you guys have dogs and information so here goes..... I want to get another dog before something happens to our ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I figure a lot of you guys have dogs and information so here goes.....

I want to get another dog before something happens to our 13 year old Mutt, we also have a long haired Dachsund, both are great dogs.

I want to get a dog that will ride around with me, and some gaurding instinct but isnt prone to be agressive until they need to be.

I would like an easily trainable dog who obviously needs to be good with other dogs we dont have any kids and dont plan on any our friends have kids though.......

I was thinking a Doberman or GSD, any other breeds and opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Josh

get a mud from the local animal shelter. I had great luck with that. Getting a pure bread is usually a waste of money unless you go to a ocal reputable breeder.

Many of the shelters I know will let you take a dog home for a couple days to try it out. That's a great way to make sure it works out well with your family and other dogs. I find it hard to predict based on breed.

pure bread dogs I had in the past:
    - german shepherd: great dog. But realize that they need to be worked. Its not the dog for you if you can't spent at least 1-2 hours a day with it.
    - newfoundland: super family dog, and great for guard duty just because of the look. But I wouldn't keep it inside the house/car and they like water. Probably only suitable for northern climates.
    - irish setter: useless dog unless you hunt with dogs.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I agree on getting a mixed-breed from the animal shelter or contacting some dog rescue organizations in your area.

I have to agree with Paul on the pure breed dogs. They are very nice but the old mutt has to have a good home to!!!

Her are my mutts, Jack Russel Chihuahua mix!!! Not much of a guard/attack dog but they sure do let you know when someone or something walks by the house!!! In this photo they just took over a warm towel that I folded just out of the dryer!!!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I figure a lot of you guys have dogs and information so here goes.....

I want to get another dog before something happens to our 13 year old Mutt, we also have a long haired Dachsund, both are great dogs.

I want to get a dog that will ride around with me, and some gaurding instinct but isnt prone to be agressive until they need to be.

I would like an easily trainable dog who obviously needs to be good with other dogs we dont have any kids and dont plan on any our friends have kids though.......

I was thinking a Doberman or GSD, any other breeds and opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Josh
    How about a Belgian Malinois? They look a lot like a GSD, very smart, easy to train, lots of energy.

ABMC Belgian Malinois Rescue - Rescued Belgian Malinois

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I agree that the right dog from a pound will give plenty of love and companionship. I got my wife a Border Collie from our local SPCA back in 1991. Most folks don't think a Border Collie can be protective, but they would be wrong. They protect what they perceive as being theirs. That includes people as well as other animals you may have. Our Mandy was great with children and was highly protective and always alert. We lost Mandy in 2003. Don't overlook the Border Collie. They make great companions. They do require alot of exercise and care but are more than worth the effort.

My little mutt (pughuahua, or chug) is the finest beast I've ever owned.

Go mutts!!!
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Administrator
    Labs and other retrievers are great for the type of dog your looking for, just make sure you purchase from pet or show stock and not working stock, unless you plan on hunting with the dog. If you don't hunt with them, you'll be hunting for them.
    Otherwise, I agree, the good old fashioned Heinz 57 dogs are the way to go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My 13 year old pal is a GSD/Black Lab, who guards faithfully, loves without question, and has been a best friend. I would stick with the mixed breeds. If you can get a little GSD in the mix, thats goos too!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

A pistol is a self defense tool... a dog is perhaps an early warning system, but in the end, more a companion than anything else.

I'd certainly go to the pound and look around before anything else, you never know, you may just find a perfect companion, of a breed (or mix) that you would never have considered.

Someone mentioned border collies, might be a good idea, they're active, intelligent... have a lot of herding instinct. I've seen them be a little more aggressive towards young children than I would like...

If I were selecting a breed for my needs and had the room for a large dog, I'd be looking at a Weimaraner. Great dogs. Unfortunately, a large dog doesn't fit in my household right at the moment. Perhaps, one day.

For now, I have a shih-tzu, a pug, a chihuahua, and a dachshund (and a cat, 2 parrots, snake, hamsters, rat... did I mention my wife was a veterinary technician?)

Not much for protection, but they're good company!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Top 10 Guard dogs Top 10 Best Guard Dog Breeds

Giant Schnauzers are fiercly loyal as well as great protectors and great with kids.

English Mastiff's are great with kids and loyal to family. Rather large; between 100 and 200 lbs.

I've been throwing around the idea of getting an Israeli Canaan dog when my little Shi Tzu goes in ten years or so.
    They're very defensive of their territory towards strangers and loyal to family plus I like the look.

There are a lot of great guard dogs out there. Just make sure you pick the one that's right for you and take into consideration how much attention and maintenance your dog will need.
    Last edited by buzzgum; July 14th, 2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: addition

one thing I forgot earlier: Check with local animal control groups. They sometimes look for foster homes for dogs. Its a great way to "try before you buy" and to try different breeds.

The way it usually works is that they give you a dog. They pay for medical bills. You usually pay for food (but they sometimes get donated food). If someone is interested in adopting the dog, you may have to drop it off at the shelter or allow them to come to your place to see it. My wife was new to dogs and she wasn't sure about getting one. We fostered about half a dozen. Very different dogs, showing her the full range of what to expect.

In the end, we settled for a mix (we think jack-russel / pit-bull) that we originally found wondering the streets as a little puppy. It was adopted out twice and returned twice (at which point we decided to keep it). Greatest dog ever! Plays fine with our kitten, barks at strangers and not aggressive to friends or other dogs. Sometimes the dog picks you :-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Labs and other retrievers are great for the type of dog your looking for, just make sure you purchase from pet or show stock and not working stock, unless you plan on hunting with the dog. If you don't hunt with them, you'll be hunting for them.
    Otherwise, I agree, the good old fashioned Heinz 57 dogs are the way to go.
    I gotta agree with SIXTO on this one, I have an 18 Month old Chocolate Lab. He is of the field stock variety, and I use him for hunting, but he is also a great pet. He loves everyone he comes into contact with especially women (Good Boy!!) He has two distinct personalities, around the house he is just a big lovable goof, but when we hit the field he is all business. As for guarding, he will let people know that he is there, but as far as biting someone I don't know. He will cover them in slobber, a fate worse than being shot.
    Check out your breeders very carefully, I finally found mine in Pennsylvania, I had to purchase a plane ticket to get him to AZ, but he is worth every dime!!
    PM me if you would like info and the website of the breeder.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member
    I was thinking a Doberman or GSD,

+1 on your thinking. Just remember to socialize them when they are puppies.

Dobermans are WONDERFUL dogs that I would highly suggest, with a word of caution of course. They tend to have a bad rap, due to of course bad owners. Like any dog, you need to know how to train that specific breed and do so!
    I have been training dogs for a while, and I learned quickly that what works for one dog won't work for another. For example, teaching a dog to give you a ball after fetching. For most dogs, simply saying "give" or "off" while making them drop the ball (stick a finger in their mouth) and then giving them lots of praise is all you need. I happen to have a very smart australian shepheard. This method did not work at all, it backfired. he LOVES when people pay attention to him or touch him, so he wanted me to chase him, stick my finger in his mouth, etc. I found out with him that in order for him to give the ball, I had to completely ignore him. After a day or so of this, he would litterally throw the ball into my lap when he got back.
    enough rambling. the point is, dobermans are great dogs for what you are looking for, but if u get one
    A. get one from a breeder with a rep. for good tempermant dogs (meet the puppys parents!!!)
    B. get a good trainer, or if u can honestly do it yourself, get plenty of info about specifically training dobs
    good luck!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links