Recommendations on putting down African Lion?

This is a discussion on Recommendations on putting down African Lion? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hmm...this could turn out interesting...Lions, Tigers, Bears...OH my! Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog' - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver Lion On Loose ...

Thread: Recommendations on putting down African Lion?

Hmm...this could turn out interesting...Lions, Tigers, Bears...OH my!

Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog' - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
    Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog'
    Photos Taken, Tracks Found But Search Called Off

POSTED: 9:45 am MDT July 14, 2008
    UPDATED: 1:15 am MDT July 15, 2008
    [NEWSVINE: Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog'] [DELICIOUS: Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog'] [DIGG: Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog'] [FACEBOOK: Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog'] [REDDIT: Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog'] [RSS] [PRINT: Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog'] [EMAIL: Lion On Loose May Be 'Big Dog']
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- The reports of an African lion at large that spurred a helicopter search, a reverse-911 call to the neighborhood and a nearly eight-hour hunt by local, state and federal wildlife trackers may be false.

The "African lion" pictured in grainy photos may have just been a large dog, the El Paso County Sheriff's Office said Monday afternoon.

However, that too has not been confirmed since no large dog -- and no lion -- has been captured. A search in eastern El Paso County, focusing on a field about a mile-and-a-half square, was called off Monday afternoon.

The El Paso County Sheriff's Office suspended the search at about 3 p.m., saying there isn't enough evidence to corroborate reports of an African lion roaming the area.

Three different people reported seeing a lion Monday morning. Search dogs haven't been able to pick up a scent for a lion and none of the searchers ever spotted it.

However, DOW's Michael Seraphin told the Colorado Springs Gazette earlier in the day that the two photos taken by residents and the tracks found by DOW officers confirm the animal is an African lion and not a mountain lion.

El Paso County Sheriff's Lt. Lari Sevene said the first call came in of a large cat chasing several dogs through a field off Log Road. That call came in at 7:35 a.m. The resident told deputies the cat had a red mane and a big tail. Officers obtained a photo of the big cat. A second sighting was reported and that resident also snapped a picture.

A reverse-911 alert went out to residents in the Falcon Highway and Log Road area. The automated phone call warned residents to stay inside and keep pets indoors because a lion was possibly on the loose. A second reverse-911 call went out when the search was called off.

State wildlife officers found big paw prints near a home, but no other tracks were found.

Big Cats of Serenity Springs, a sanctuary that houses lions, tigers, leopards and other animals about 5 miles away, told 7NEWS that none of its cats are missing and they have checked several times. The wildlife center's owner and director, Nick Sculac, said he believes that if it was a lion, the lion was someone's pet that got loose.

However, after looking at one of the photos handed out by the sheriff's office, he said he believed the animal could be a large dog.

Three other wildlife sanctuaries that are permitted to have lions all say their lions are accounted for.

Imported and exotic species brought into Colorado are regulated. Some are legal with permits; some are prohibited.

The area of the sightings is sparsely populated, with pockets of mobile homes and livestock.

"We figure he's probably just taking a nap right now," said Sevene, when no animal was spotted for hours. The animal was last spotted around 10 a.m., about a mile southwest of the original sighting.

The search for the big cat involved the sheriff's office, the Colorado Springs Police Department, the Colorado State Patrol, the Colorado Division of Wildlife, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.

Staff members from Serenity Springs stayed in the area to help authorities track the animal. Sculac had brought a tranquilizer gun in hopes of taking the animal alive.

At one point in the search, some residents strapped on revolvers, while others searched on horseback with lassos at the ready, according to the Gazette.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    At one point in the search, some residents strapped on revolvers, while others searched on horseback with lassos at the ready, according to the Gazette.
    What in the heck were they thinking...that you could lasso a lion? What a bunch of friggen yuppies.
    Revovers? Those people have been watching too much TV.

The very least I would use is a 12 guage loaded up with slugs first and then buck.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    M1 Garand with lots of stripper clips.

If I owned a 358 Win magnum I would use it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

HMMMMMMMM. If they Identified the tracks as a lion , it can't be a dog. The tracks don't look the same.
    Enclosed are tracks of a lion and a wolf. The wolf track as well as a dog track show the claws. the cats do not.
    Attached Images

Administrator
    I don't think I'd shoot at it with anything but a camera... wouldn't that be something to see an African lion in hanging out in your yard? The yuppies and other goofs get all worked up when they see a coyote around here.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    On second thought...

maybe I could lure it to me with some good food.

Then I could keep it tied up in the yard. That oughta keep the coyotes out of here...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    On second thought...

maybe I could lure it to me with some good food.

Then I could keep it tied up in the yard. That oughta keep the coyotes out of here...
    Heh...that would be an interesting replacement to the beware of dog sign on entrance to the property.

No Trespassing. Beware of LION.
    There will be no barking, no growling, no warning.
    Violators will be eaten.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I can see it now lion chomping on corpse attached to body by lasso
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a 416 Rem Mag just in case. It must be working, haven't seen a lion in the yard since I got the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    I have a 416 Rem Mag just in case. It must be working, haven't seen a lion in the yard since I got the rifle.

You almost ended up oweing me a new keyboard there.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

WE had one get out of a place where a guy keeps several Siberian Tigers, some Lions and a bunch of other animals. Every night people are out walking... I went out and not only didn't see anyone walking, or out, or on their porches or out in their yards.

When I got home, I told my Ex about it and how weird it was... she the asked me "didn't anyone tell you one of the Lions got loose and was seen coming into town " (very small town) ... so they told everyone to stay inside. Uh, no one told me .

That would have been a surprise. He was found still on the edge of town, just wondering around... and got into the cage all on his own for the trip home. He didn't hurt anything.

But, if I turned the corner and ran into him, I'm sure I would have been just a little more than surprised. I sure wouldn't shoot him...... not unless it was absolutely a choice of survival.

Links