Man shoots self while cleaning gun

This is a discussion on Man shoots self while cleaning gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man Cleaning Gun Shot When It Drops, Discharges Comments 1 | Recommended4 July 15, 2008 - 10:24AM Scott Lawrence A man has been seriously injured ...

Thread: Man shoots self while cleaning gun

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Man shoots self while cleaning gun

Man Cleaning Gun Shot When It Drops, Discharges
    Comments 1 | Recommended4
    July 15, 2008 - 10:24AM
    Scott Lawrence
    A man has been seriously injured after he was accidentally shot while cleaning his gun.

Orange County Sheriff Mike White tells KFDM News the call came in at about 9:15 a.m. Tuesday.

White says the 51 year old man was cleaning a handgun at his home off Highway 2802 and Aunt Sadie Road, when he dropped the gun and it discharged, striking him in the chest.

The man was taken by ambulance to a hospital.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is investigating. Officers say no foul play is suspected.

What a smart guy.Do you clean loaded guns?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Ya know, I realize some people are just irreversibly stupid, but Jeez. . . .

At least this guy must have , I say MUST have, dropped the loaded gun PRIOR to actually starting the cleaning???
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

You know...besides the obvious stupidity of trying to clean a loaded gun, I'm still trying to figure out how we keep seeing these..."he dropped it and it went off" types. I've dropped my own firearms way too many times to count on one hand...sometimes on purpose with snaps in them to try to get the hammer to drop(like after replacing sear springs etc...). I tend to prefer to test things after major modifications. Never once did one just go off from dropping it.

I suspect it was really more of a finger+trigger issue. If you just dropped your gun...let it fall. Don't try to catch it. A scratched finish is better then a tombstone or ventilator.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

All along I thought that the first step in cleaning a weapon was to remove all of the go bang things.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

wouldn't a round obstruct any cleaining instuments? i could see an ND if someone was wipeing off a loaded firearm but how CAN it discharge during cleaning?
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    complacency kills
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Why didn't he remove the mag and lock back the slide?
    Wait, I know why...it must have been a revolver!

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I did have a 1911 fall out of my holster and discharge muzzle first,but I always unload my guns prior to cleaning,either this guy was getting ready to clean his gun or had finished and loaded it back up then dropped it,Until my gun discharged I never believed the I dropped it and it discharged stories,but If you do drop a gun anywhere do not try to grab it let it fall all the way then pick it up,there is too much risk you will pull the trigger grabbing for it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Oops.

I, too, am surprised so many of these occur. One would think that just one reported example is sufficient to teach others about the risk of ND.

It's like cleaning the pen of the Bengal tigers at the zoo. First, you send the tigers elsewhere. It's not rocket science.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Oops.

I, too, am surprised so many of these occur. One would think that just one reported example is sufficient to teach others about the risk of ND.

It's like cleaning the pen of the Bengal tigers at the zoo. First, you send the tigers elsewhere. It's not rocket science.
    Heh... I almost learned that specific example the hard way. Long story short...I was tagging along with the inspectors inspecting the cages of a small zoo operation to renew their permit. They sent the tiger into the separate smaller cage(attached to the main cage and separated by a steel gate). Anywhoo...we finished checking the tiger cage and moved on to the monkeys exhibit. So he let the tiger back out of the holding pen and into his main cage. A few minutes later we discovered (the hard way) that when he let the tiger out of the holding pen, he had forgotten to close the main cage gate. So effectively we were inside a fenced in main zoo area with a tiger in the cage next to us getting ready to bolt out the open door and heading right for us.

Needless to say the inspection didn't complete and they didn't get their permit renewed. Nothing like a meat eater looking at you like food and going for the open gate to get you jump started in the morning.

You have no idea of the concept of fear until you're staring at a hungry tiger 12" away through a fence and the hungry tiger stares back, licks his chops, looks at the open gate, looks at you again, and then makes a run for the open gate. On the plus side, I discovered I can climb fences REALLY fast.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Good metaphor. But the problem, I fear, is that the people who really need to learn these lessons don't even hear about the other incidents.

They are obviously not members of any (gun-related) forum, have probably never taken any safety courses, and probably don't read or keep up with the news.

It's very scary to me to know there are people in this land that can be so careless. Who knows, next time he may be showing a friend how to clean the gun!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    All along I thought that the first step in cleaning a weapon was to remove all of the go bang things.
    That's just good old fashioned COMMON SENSE
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Links