Photo proof of the raider's of our fig tree

This is a discussion on Photo proof of the raider's of our fig tree within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every year about this time racoons come to our yard when the fig's are ripe. The trees produce more than we can use so we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Every year about this time racoons come to our yard when the fig's are ripe. The trees produce more than we can use so we don't mind them coming in for a snack. Luckily they don't cause any damage or mischief around the house, they just stay for an hour or so. We've seen as many as ten, of all sizes, at one time. These three in the photo are pretty small and probably recently weaned. It was particularly interesting watching them select the figs they would eat. They sniffed each one, and if it was still green they'd move on until they found a ripe one that smelled right.

They stop coming when the figs are gone, but are diligent in their annual return. Most of the time they come at night, though in this photo we were lucky enough to watch them during the daylight. Funny thing, I'm sure they eat until their bellies are full, and as they get ready to leave they "deposit a little evidence" as a thank you for their night raid.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Raccoons are such neat critters.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh yeah they are, they actually cut perfect squares in the top of my dad's trash cans to circumvent the locking handles and get the lid off to get to the goodies inside.

They are the MacGyvers of the animal world.

Senior Moderator
    Racoons are the smartest animals in the world when there is food involved
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Racoons are-a-plenty here! Anytime we catch one in the trap, it's an automatic death sentence for it. They tend to kill our fowl by chewing off the heads of the birds. BTW, no fig trees here, if there were, then maybe they would live longer
    Last edited by DrLewall; July 17th, 2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Brains before Bullets"

Coons used to take fish out of our pond. Never could catch them in the act. We have six outside cats now and a young skunk coming in to eat the cat food just after dark. I'm waiting for a good photo op on that.

Anyone who thinks racoons are only nocturnal, needs to come visit us down here......

They love our birdfeeder......

......and our fat little black schnauzer considers it her personal responsibility to protect that birdfeeder! With a guard dog like this, what else do we need? Standoff!

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Coons used to take fish out of our pond.

We have six outside cats now ...
    Sounds like the raccoons will now have the choice of fish or feline.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a racoon thats almost become a family pet. Last year the coon came waddling up to the porch one evening and just sat there looking up at us as if to say were's the food. The wife went inside and came back out with a box of raisins, this coon LOVES raisins. It soon became a nightly routine. He now comes up on the porch and will set there at your feet till he gets his raisins. If you ignore him he will take his front feet and push on your leg until he's feed. We've found he also likes "beggin strips" dog treats and sardines (yuck!!).

I drive 18 wheelers for a living and park it a few hundred yards up the street from the house. This coon now knows the sound of my truck, when I pull in in the evening he sometimes will meet me at the truck and follow me back to the house like a dog. At first the dog wasn't to sure what to make of the coon and stayed away from it but now when it comes by the two will sniff each other then go about their business.

We used to have a raccoon show up in our neighborhood from time to time, until it made the mistake of climbing the fence and running into the neighbor's large Rhodesian Ridgeback - poor raccoon never had a chance.

That is one scary dog not to be trifled with!
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I'm happy that I'm not the only one that likes racoons. I find their intelligence and resourcefullness fascinating. Most people I talk to dislike them for one reason or another. Usually it's an irrational fear of rabies, as some people think that every racoon is infected.

I've dealt with them several times. Years ago when I was a restaurant manager we had about a dozen of them that would visit our dumpster on a nightly basis when we were closing. They'd always show up just in time to get the fresh trash. A couple of years ago I heard some banging around outside at 2am and found 5 or 6 of them going through my trash. They made a mess, so I secured my trash better so that they wouldn't come back. If they had been neater, like some of the other racoons I've encountered, I would have let them come back.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO
    Yeah like when they broke into the chicken coop and killed several, like when they chased down and killed my daughters pet duck, like when they get in the shop and defecate all over the place, like when they got into a friends house while he was on vacation and destroyed every that was movable. Just like any city varmint, feed it and it is cute, just like the coyotes were until they started killing the family pets. Yeah real neat, for target practice that is!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    for target practice that is!!!

My thoughts exactly!
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    LOL!!!! I guess you have never had them raid your sweet corn, garden, garbage cans, dug up potato's and on and on and on.....I shoot them when ever I see them, along with all those damn rabitts.....

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    We used to have a raccoon show up in our neighborhood from time to time, until it made the mistake of climbing the fence and running into the neighbor's large Rhodesian Ridgeback - poor raccoon never had a chance.

That is one scary dog not to be trifled with!
    We used to raise Ridgebacks. At one time, we had six of them at the house. We had no critters around. Ever. Those dogs would even peel snakes apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links