Gas tanks drilled on trucks, fuel stolen (Only a Matter of Time)

This is a discussion on Gas tanks drilled on trucks, fuel stolen (Only a Matter of Time) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened in the town just to the north of me: Daily Freeman - Gas tanks drilled on trucks, fuel stolen CATSKILL - Be on ...

This happened in the town just to the north of me:

Daily Freeman - Gas tanks drilled on trucks, fuel stolen

CATSKILL - Be on the lookout for anyone skulking under vehicles, especially if the smell of gasoline or the sound of a power drill permeates the air.

This according to Joe Romeo, general manager of Catskill Buick Pontiac GMC Cadillac, a dealership which found itself victim to gasoline tank drilling Monday morning, when an employee discovered some spilled gasoline under a pickup truck, Romeo said.

A total of some $500 worth of gas was stolen from four pickup trucks and one mid-sized car, Romeo said. Two holes were found in each gas tank, one to act as a drain and one to act as a vent so the gas could flow freely.

Romeo guessed the thieves chose mostly trucks either because they hold a few more gallons of gasoline, or because they have more ground clearance.

In their urge to get at the gasoline, the thieves did hundreds of dollars worth of damage to each vehicle. The holes in the tanks can't simply be plugged, Romeo said, but must be replaced entirely, and entirely at his expense.

"It's a safety issue," he said.

Speaking of safety, the act of drilling into a tank full of highly flammable fuel seems foolhardy, Romeo said. "You can create a lot of static electricity drilling into steel. All you need is one spark."

Just as higher gas prices have people carrying out such thefts, they also are slowing the sales of the very sorts of vehicles that were damaged over the weekend.

Fewer people want to fuel up pickup trucks and drive very far if they aren't hauling anything, Romeo said. "The people who are using them only as leisure vehicles are now using them only as work vehicles and buying cars to commute around," he said.

Although Romeo is looking into installing lights and fencing, and perhaps bringing in guard dogs, his first act is to ensure none of his vehicles has much fuel in them to steal, he said.

"Our new policy is only $10 of gas until we deliver them to the customers."

Catskill village police are investigating the thefts.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Kinda makes you hope one time they catch a little spark and scare the crap out of them. Morons, do like the rest of us and put a little more time in at work, buy frozen chicken instead of fresh, SIMPLE things like that; plus those are much easier than climbing under a car adn taking a drill to a tank full of a flammable liquid.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    It is only a matter of time, to bad they probably will take a nice truck with 'em.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Wouldn't it be easier to siphon it ? Talk about dumb thief's !

VIP Member
    One of the sites [Trucking] I am over also had diesel taken from the diesel tank used to fill the trucks. They cut the lock off and pumped [hand] the diesel out. We then put a bigger lock on and they came back on the weekend and could not break the lock so they took off the pump and took it along with 300 gallons of diesel.
    300 x $5 = 1500 + pump another few hundred. Now the service come twice a week to fill the trucks and we keep a 5 gallon jug in case they drain the fuel tank on the truck. The driver can go to the local station for diesel. No security or gate on the weekends. I know. Our hands are tied. (I would have security.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Although it's not impossible to siphon gas from newer model vehicles, it is much more difficult than from older models. The reason is an anti-rollover valve that is designed to prevent fuel from leaking from an overturned vehicle.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by Stetson
    Maybe they don't want a mouth full of fuel, not good believe me. They are to cheap to buy a little pump.

Boy I have the urge to fill the tank of a truck with some pyrophoric liquid like Hydrazine and set up a motion triggered video camera.

If you have really good fire insurance on the vehicle, would it still be wrong to throw a lighted match at the thief???
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Drilling directly from the bottom probably isnt that dangerous... since fuel itself is not flammable, only the vapors, and even that has to be within a certain vapor/air ratio. Even so, I wouldnt want to take that kind of chance.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's first Homeland Security

..I had a comment but I like visiting here.....I hate thieves. Whatever happens to them they deserve it
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Boy I have the urge to fill the tank of a truck with some pyrophoric liquid like Hydrazine and set up a motion triggered video camera.
    I have a neighbor who keeps a 5 gallon can in his shed, and he kept finding it missing. This went on for a few weeks, so he filled his new can up with gas and sugar. So far, the thieves haven't been back.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    If you have really good fire insurance on the vehicle, would it still be wrong to throw a lighted match at the thief???
    of course you mean to help them to see what they are doing? maybe not enough light given off by the small flame. I would suggest something a little brighter like a road flair.

Administrator
    if I'm going to do all that, I'm going to have some fun and shoot bottle rockets at 'em.
    "Just blame Sixto"

But the fact remains that they are just drilling into plastic and plastic doesn't spark.

And why siphon when drilling the plastic is much faster?

Links