Two Mtn. Lions Killed in town in one week

This is a discussion on Two Mtn. Lions Killed in town in one week within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lots of mountain lion activity in SW Colorado this year. Here is the first one: Durango Herald Online And the second: Durango Herald Online Two ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Mtn. Lions Killed in town in one week

Lots of mountain lion activity in SW Colorado this year.

Here is the first one:

Durango Herald Online

And the second:

Durango Herald Online

Two young (1-2 year old) mountain lions were killed in Durango, CO this week. There have been lots of discussions on this board about how much gun is required to kill various wild animals. Interesting point is that both of these cats were killed with a .22 caliber rifle.

They haven't caught up with the Cortez lion yet.

Administrator
    I'm no wildlife expert, but I got issues with that. Killing an animal because "it scared" somebody doesn't seem right. We build our homes on the edge of or in their territory and are surprised when we see them... just doesn't make sense to me.

I get the whole "they are not scared of humans thing" so if it needs to be done, it needs to be done... but isn't that our fault to begin with?
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 18th, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah same here. I have one here in Virginia(Bluemont) and it drove me and the neighbors nuts the other night growling and screeching at the top of the drive, but he hasn't come out or around when people are around so it's been a non-issue. Typically the only time we spot him is at night if he growls or something and we go out to look. Neither one of us plan on calling him in any time soon.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm no wildlife biologist, but they could have sedated the cats, taken blood samples and whatnot. Taken 'em back out into the country , miles from town and let them go. Just like sixto said "Killing an animal because "it scared" somebody doesn't seem right."
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We build our homes on the edge of or in their territory and are surprised when we see them... just doesn't make sense to me.
    When we choose to build at the edge of their territory, I believe we incur the obligation of removing them safely to more remote habitat.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by madmunky40 View Post
    I'm no wildlife biologist, but they could have sedated the cats, taken blood samples and whatnot. Taken 'em back out into the country , miles from town and let them go. Just like sixto said "Killing an animal because "it scared" somebody doesn't seem right."
    That happens around here occasionaly with bears.
    It doesent really work that well. After a period of time, the same bear can be seen doing what bears do in the same place.

It sounds good in theory, but for it too work you would have to move them out of the state.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    There are not the number of hunters there use to be.This can be attributed to
    computers and the constant changing of the laws it's not worth the hassle.Young people have so much more to do than we did forty years ago.
    I tend to think alot of us were working a heck of lot more than todays kids
    as there were no laws on the books limiting the amount of hours you could work during school week.I'd let the hunters hunt year round and this problem
    would disappear.I have deer in my bird feeders,gardens.Turkeys in bird feeders
    and garden looking for a free meal and soiling my lawn.They are not afraid of me unless I make a quick move toward them.What dirty birds!

Well they are birds feeding in bird feeders,I guess if ya didn't put out free food they wouldn't come around
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

These were young cats looking for a home of their own. They should have been encouraged to move it on down the line, but not killed. They weren't likely to want to stay there anyway.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmunky40 View Post
    No you can't. Cougars are very territorial. If you catch and move one, it will either come back to its original territory or get in a big fight with the cat who has the territory you just dropped it in. Cougar fights usually do not end until one is dead.

Cougars will naturally avoid human contact. It is highly unusual for them to claim territory inside a human settlement, so there is typically another condition that will cause them to do it. Usually it is because of a surge in cat population, and there is consequently a lack of territory to sustain them.

A male cat's territory can be around 10 square miles and some cases have been up to over a 100 square miles. That is why fish and wildlife departments will determine a population quota for a state, and they will euthanize cats who encroach on human settlements.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Well they are birds feeding in bird feeders,I guess if ya didn't put out free food they wouldn't come around
    Proof that wellfare for birds doesn't work any better than for most people

VIP Member
    Come on guys. The people who call in and complain about a "cat" in the area scaring them are the same sheeple who run scared at the mention of someone having a gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

TRUE-archer51 I GUESS I LIKE ANIMAL ALOT SEEN a RARE fl. PANTHER

Well, in Va. there are such animals here, (VDGIF says so) so we don't have that problem!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Come on guys. The people who call in and complain about a "cat" in the area scaring them are the same sheeple who run scared at the mention of someone having a gun.
    "Sheepie" would be to tell everyone it's ok - it's just a furry kitty. So what if it just ate all the cats and dogs in the neighborhood and maybe a few kids.

They aren't cats - they are cougars. These were not in some urban interface zone - they were almost downtown chowing on pets in a 100+ year old neighborhood.

The DOW felt that they were born close to town and grew up around humans, and would pose a hazard wherever they were released. While it's tragic to see wild animals like that killed, I applaud their decision.

BTW, it's not over yet - another one was spotted at a playground yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links