I can still shoot a 1911

I can still shoot a 1911

This is a discussion on I can still shoot a 1911 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I found out yesterday I'm still pretty handy with my 1911. Due to my job I currently can't carry year round, only when I ...

Thread: I can still shoot a 1911

Talking I can still shoot a 1911

Well, I found out yesterday I'm still pretty handy with my 1911.

Due to my job I currently can't carry year round, only when I go back on leave. So I took my 1911 and 638 to the range, along with my little brother and his new mossberg 500. It was the crappy indoor range here in town, but it is convenient for a quick 30 minute trip. The range was empty and once the guy running it saw my military ID, I only paid for targets, and got unlimited time. My first mag from the 1911 left me with a nice group COM on the target at 7 yards. I hadn't gotten to shoot a pistol since December, so that was rather satisfying. The j-frame I'm way out of practice with, guess I have to stick with my .45 and the beautiful rig I have from UBG.

I then got to run my little brother through some good drills on his new acquisition, teaching him how to change his stance for better recoil management and quicker follow ups and reloads and stuff. By the end I was getting him pretty good at some rapid fire shotgunning with a pump.

I had fun, still happy about it, so I thought I'd share.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Had to of been Dave or Jim at the counter, good guys!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Actually wasn't Dave or Jim, much to my surprise. But they are both good guys.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Dale? If it was one of the younger guys, I don't know them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    teaching him how to change his stance for better recoil management and quicker follow ups and reloads and stuff. By the end I was getting him pretty good at some rapid fire shotgunning with a pump.

I had fun, still happy about it, so I thought I'd share.
    Can you share your advise? I was shooting some skeet this weekend and my wife took picks and I look sloppy.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKeepr View Post
    Can you share your advise? I was shooting some skeet this weekend and my wife took picks and I look sloppy.
    I can, although visuals and hands on teaching is always best.

A lot of people tend to lean back when they hold a shotgun, partly because of the weight of the weapon, partly because they are afraid of recoil, and partly because they don't know any better. Such a stance makes recoil worse because you can't really use the shoulder pocket, are already kind of off balance, and means that your follow up shots won't be as fast because your control on the shotgun isn't as solid.

My shotgun shooting stance is a lot like my hand to hand fighting stance, feet staggered and roughly shoulder width, knees bent, leaning slightly forward at the waist. Shotgun securely in the pocket created in my shoulder, keep the elbow of your firing arm up (for competition at least). Hopefully that is a fairly accurate description, but a good aggressive stance usually significantly helps make people better shooters, and makes moving and shooting a whole lot easier too. You are in complete control of both the weapon and the recoil won't effect you, even on the move. With a mossberg 500 or other pump, I am usually back on target with a fresh round in the chamber as soon as the recoil is done. I use the recoil to help pump the slide, if that makes sense.

Hopefully this helped you some, if you need clarification on anything go ahead and ask.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I can, although visuals and hands on teaching is always best.

A lot of people tend to lean back when they hold a shotgun, partly because of the weight of the weapon, partly because they are afraid of recoil, and partly because they don't know any better. Such a stance makes recoil worse because you can't really use the shoulder pocket, are already kind of off balance, and means that your follow up shots won't be as fast because your control on the shotgun isn't as solid.

My shotgun shooting stance is a lot like my hand to hand fighting stance, feet staggered and roughly shoulder width, knees bent, leaning slightly forward at the waist. Shotgun securely in the pocket created in my shoulder, keep the elbow of your firing arm up (for competition at least). Hopefully that is a fairly accurate description, but a good aggressive stance usually significantly helps make people better shooters, and makes moving and shooting a whole lot easier too. You are in complete control of both the weapon and the recoil won't effect you, even on the move. With a mossberg 500 or other pump, I am usually back on target with a fresh round in the chamber as soon as the recoil is done. I use the recoil to help pump the slide, if that makes sense.

Hopefully this helped you some, if you need clarification on anything go ahead and ask.
    Got ya. I would prepare for the throw of the clay like described, but in the pictures it appears I'm almost standing straight up. I too use the recoil the help assist in the pump action and find that sometimes I don't realise that I pumped the gun. I will have to work on keeping the gun set on my shoulder properly b/c it got pretty banged up.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns.

What kind of 1911 do you have?

Springfield armory 1911A1 GI model. Just the basics.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

A lot of people tend to lean back when they hold a shotgun,

leaning slightly forward at the waist. Shotgun securely in the pocket created in my shoulder, keep the elbow of your firing arm up (for competition at least).
    That's the key right there. You gotta lean into the gun.

I have had to teach this to every person I have ever taught to shoot clays. Especially women, who always tend to lean back to offset the weight. My wife shows 'em how to do it now that she is good at it. Works every time.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Well, I found out yesterday I'm still pretty handy with my 1911
    For some of us, it's kinda like riding a bicycle....eh? Just the basics.

Links