Consequences of turning someone in

This is a discussion on Consequences of turning someone in within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, here is my dilemma i live in an apartment complex where they rent each room out separate. I had a chance to meet the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consequences of turning someone in

Consequences of turning someone in

OK, here is my dilemma i live in an apartment complex where they rent each room out separate. I had a chance to meet the new roommates and i think i am going to have a problem with them. One of them ask my other roommate and I if we had problems with illegal drug usage. I immediately think great... So i don't know what his plan is or even if he will do them but i told him straight up i was very against it and i don't want any narcotics stored in the apartment as i feel i could be held accountable just knowing they are here.

He moves in soon and i was wondering if anyone has any advice.

What would happen when i called the police? Would i be put in custody also? Would i need an attorney? Right now i cant move out due to the lease I have.

I feel like i am between a rock and a hard place and have to wait to see if he is going to do this in the apartment...

I am thinking that if push comes to shove i could turn him in and use that as a reason to break my lease but i don't want to end up in legal trouble because of this.

Adam

2. Remove Ads

On word comes to mind------MOVE!

I would say that the disclosure of using/having illegal drugs by your new roommate would qualify as grounds to make your lease null and void if the landlord refuse to do anything about this situation. So tell your landlord about it and if your new roommate is still allowed to live there then you could break your lease. If the landlord takes you to court then spill all to the judge.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    On word comes to mind------MOVE!
    You have it right. Just move, or throw his butt out.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    I would say that the disclosure of using/having illegal drugs by your new roommate would qualify as grounds to make your lease null and void if the landlord refuse to do anything about this situation. So tell your landlord about it and if your new roommate is still allowed to live there then you could break your lease. If the landlord takes you to court then spill all to the judge.

See the only problem i see going this way is getting caught with the point of why i did not call the authorities. I would guess that telling the land loads this would result in they verifying this information and if they do believe me, they will call the police. Then i would have the chance of being put in custody for not informing the authorities of my roommates actions.

All in all this is not a good situation to be in and i am dreading any outcome. Damn if i do and damned if i dont...

So--if the word move didn't evoke any feelings----how about BUG OUT?

Worst case?

Violent retribution for your not seeing things the druggy way.

Unknown what other criminal activity this person is capable of. Though, it's clear the person intends to knowingly subject the roommates to an illegal drugs environment.

You could be involved in a take-down of him/her. You could get accused of being part of it.

Sounds like a bad situation about to happen, none of which can go well for you.

One option: Make it clearly known to the landlord that the person's specific statements strongly imply intent to bring illegal drugs of unknown type/quantity into the rental. That'll probably stop things right there. If not, make it known that if this person is brought on then you're going to eject immediately for cause, due to the safety implications. Might want to speak with a landlord/tenant type group prior to doing this step, because you may or may not be on tap for unreasonable breaking of a lease. Either way, safest for you is to leave.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree with leaving. I am going to talk with the land lords and see if i can just transfer to a different apartment with in the same complex. Or ask if the new tenant could be transfered since they have yet to move in.

adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
    I agree with leaving. I am going to talk with the land lords and see if i can just transfer to a different apartment with in the same complex. Or ask if the new tenant could be transfered since they have yet to move in.

adam
    That's a step in the right direction.
    Say--I lived in an apartment complex for over two years. Upstairs even. Came home from work one day to find two bullet holes in the front door. The apartment across the breezeway was SWAT teamed earlier in the day for drug dealings---the perp hid behind the couch and shot through the door at police. We had no idea.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Leave or rat him out. Those are your choices. They suck.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Administrator
    Well, at this exact point in time you honestly do not know if there are any illegal drugs in your apartment or not.

You cannot turn somebody in for asking a question.

And you also do not know if your roommate has done any illegal drugs in there or not.

The only thing you know is that he asked you if you had anything against illegal drug use.

So...you have no proof or evidence that he has drugs or that he is doing drugs but, you do know that you don't want to risk getting involved with being in the same apartment with this person.

At first just tell the landlord that you have good reason for wanting to move to a different apartment.

I would simply just ask the landlord if you could move to another apartment.

He might just say "Sure No Problem." and then you just move and you have nothing to fear concerning retribution.

Don't say any more than you need to say to accomplish your goal which is just to get out of there and get someplace else.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Okay, here's what you do: Goto the rental office and ask to see every single piece of paper that you signed when you did your move-in. There should be a slip or a part of the lease that specifically states that says something to the effect of lease termination based on illegal activity on their property. Because they are responsible for their property, then allowing illegal activity to go on could (and I mean COULD) make them partially liable.

When you find this section, point it out to the office and tell them about the impending scenario. Tell them that you will be back with pictures of said drugs/narco activity. You'll have to deal with a pissed-off roommate but what are your alternatives? You said you can't move..
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, at this exact point in time you honestly do not know if there are any illegal drugs in your apartment or not.

You cannot turn somebody in for asking a question.

And you also do not know if your roommate has done any illegal drugs in there or not.

The only thing you know is that he asked you if you had anything against illegal drug use.

So...you have no proof or evidence that he has drugs or that he is doing drugs but, you do know that you don't want to risk getting involved with being in the same apartment with this person.

At first just tell the landlord that you have good reason for wanting to move to a different apartment.

I would simply just ask the landlord if you could move to another apartment.

He might just say "Sure No Problem." and then you just move and you have nothing to fear concerning retribution.

Don't say any more than you need to say to accomplish your goal which is just to get out of there and get someplace else.
    Good advice at this point in time.

He asked if you opposed illegal drugs... you said YES!

Nothing more has transpired, but naturally one could see where this is going... hence just ask out of lease and see if they will accommodate. No need to elaborate on reason at this point.

Now if landlord denies your request to move, and at some point you see evidence of illegal drugs then the roommate has clearly chosen not to respect your request and you now have reason to go back to the landlord and ask to opt out of the lease. You have legal grounds to do so at that point.

The ball is then in the landlords court. Landlord turns him in to police... not your problem. Landlord kicks the offender out of apartment... again, not your problem.

Roommate has no reason to be pissed at you because of his violation of the law.

Now he may not see it that way... but I doubt if you are mature about it and level headed will it really become an issue.

And btw.... we don't live in a police state or the former Soviet Union where they throw you in prison for not turning in your neighbor. If you go to the landlord and not the police, the police can't arrest you for not informing on your roommate.

However... If they raid the apartment on some other tip and they locate drugs in a common area of the apartment, it may get a little sticky for you as far as them thinking the drugs could be anyones... why not you.

Just my opinion here, btw... not a lawyer, cop or landlord. But I am a thinker...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    One good thing is that he posted his concerns HERE prior to any future legal problem.
    Since when he posted here is documentable - it is proof that he had real concerns before the fact.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Here's an idea: if drugs appear, you take action with landlord, and person is kicked out or cops are called, it will be pretty obvious who started the process. You might even consider telling the fellow up front, "You asked if I would object, and I told you I would. Let me make it clear: if drugs appear in this apartment, I will do my best to move or force you to move, and that may involve presenting evidence to the landlord. As it stands now, I don't plan on telling the cops, but I have no idea what the landlord may choose to do. Keep and use your stuff at a friends house or find a new place, and what you use or don't use is your problem. No hard feelings, but if you bring it in this door, you're putting me at risk and I will respond to the threat as needed."

Yes, that's wordy, but if you put the cards on the table before he arrives, he can choose how to act. It really seems obvious to me that you will be blamed if ANYTHING happens with the law/landlord (regardless of your true involvement), so might just as well make it clear now.

I also have very little experience with the drug culture, so this suggestion may be a death warrant for all I know. Think it through carefully, and be cautious before implementing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links