Travel question with a twist

This is a discussion on Travel question with a twist within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My 19-year-old daughter will soon be leaving for college, and will be traveling by car from VA to NC, air from NC to WA, and ...

Thread: Travel question with a twist

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Travel question with a twist

My 19-year-old daughter will soon be leaving for college, and will be traveling by car from VA to NC, air from NC to WA, and car from WA to ID. She needs to take two pistols and some ammo with her.

Lessee if I have this straight:

1. Ammo in original packages, wrapped in clothing for padding, in checked luggage;
    2. Guns unloaded in locked containers, carried to counter;
    3. Complying with instructions of counter staff, demonstrate as unloaded, get proper paperwork/blessing, and re-lock containers;
    4. Carry locked containers to TSA drop-off-your-luggage place;
    5. Complying with instructions of TSA staff, demonstrate as unloaded, re-lock containers, and place in luggage;
    6. Wave goodbye to luggage and enter screening line and proceed as usual.
    7. At other end, retrieve luggage casually and (when discrete) determine that containers are still inside;
    8. Leave in luggage, and place in trunk of friend's car for ride to final destination.

Related question: would a lightweight steel box with three-number combination lock (Book Safe - like a cheap cashbox) do the trick for TSA? If not, how big of a COM case do I need to hold a Bersa 380CC and a Beretta U22 NEOS 22?

What am I missing?

2. Remove Ads

1. She'll have to buy her ammo in WA or ID. Can't fly with ammo.....although I might be mistaken, it's been over ten years sinse I've flown with guns.

2. thru 8. look good. Double check several DAYS prior to flying out with the actual ticket counter of the airline she'll be flying with just to insure thier rules are stright AND to give your daughter and you time to get anything else together/purchased that might be needed/forgotten/didn't know.

Bravo Zulu on your girl !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

And who says the you get a higher education from going to college, she seem to be smart enough to realize that there is danger out there. Good for her!!

You can fly with ammo....depends on the amount and the airline. I've flown with a box of defensive ammo for each of my guns without a problem.

You may not have to demonstrate the guns are unloaded as the staff probably won't know the difference. My phrase when checking in is: "I have [a firearm; two firearms] to check. [It, they] are unloaded. I am checking [one, two] containers of ammunition in their original containers. May I please have a "checked firearms" tag?"

Sign the tags; put inside the firearm container.

Depending on the airport (my experience is Reagan-National, DFW, LaCrosse, KCI, Chicago) they will have you wait to have TSA screen it--follow their instructions. In the end, make sure your container is locked when you leave it.

Have a copy of the TSA policies and the specific airlines policy on transporting firearms....read and heed. Be prepared to conduct some traiining on the airline's policy.

Enjoy your trip.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    19 Years old crossing State lines with two pistols. Is this legal, should the person have to be 21. In CT I think the person needs to be 21 to have a pistol.
    Good Luck.

18 to possess....21 to buy from FFL.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Ok thank you. She may need to have the laws printed and with Her. In case She meets a Cop or Secuirty at the airport who does not know the law and hold Her up.

+1 on printing and bringing the rules and regs. with you.

and make sure you leave SUPER early... ide rather be early and sit around, then be late and miss the flight because you had to explain what the policy was.

hope she has a great time on the trip and a great time in college.

+1 fer bok smrtz :D
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

The only rules about flying with ammo are the total weight of ammo (they allow like 10lbs or so) and the ammo must be "suitably contained". The dumbest TSAs interpret that as in the original container. The letter of the law doesn't allow for loose ammo, or loose loaded mags. Loaded mags in a mag carrier or pouch are fine. But good luck arguing that one....

Personally, I NEVER show clear. The odds of me picking up a gun in an airport, and racking the slide ? No way!! I invite the agent to clear it or hve TSA check. (also - TSA is prohibited from touching your gun! )

VIP Member
    I flew out of Raleigh Durham with 2 guns recently using Delta. It was a good experience and I am sure your daughter will experience it too.

BOTH guns must be in ONE gun case (limit is 5 handguns and they all have to be in one case). I recommend she uses the gun cable locks threaded thru the mag well and out the ejection port so she does not have to manipulate the guns (or worse, have a TSA agent do it) to demonstrate they are unloaded. Ammo is restricted to 11 pounds which is about 400 rounds in 9mm. I brought my own reloads thus making me the manufacturer so I printed a label saying Miggy's Ammo & taped it to the cardboard box. the ammo was in plastic boxes placed inside the cardboard box and everything well taped. Nobody in either Ft Lauderdale or Raleigh Durham even bothered asking about the ammo.

Also tell her to say in a soft but clear voice, I would like to declare firearms in my luggage. Do not use the word gun if possible since it may elicit undue attention. The clerk will react first at the word "declare" and then mull on "firearms" Basically tell her not to shout I HAVE A GUN!.

After I checked in at R/D I was told to hang around at the counter area for 10 minutes in case TSA wanted to open the gun case and check the contents. They never called and I went on to boarding.
    The whole experience was painless. I actually had more trouble with my The Wilderness belt at the X-Ray area than anything else.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links