Incident at Target (not gun related)

This is a discussion on Incident at Target (not gun related) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First, let me state that I know quite well that there is NO expectation of privacy in a public place. That being said, here is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incident at Target (not gun related)

Incident at Target (not gun related)

First, let me state that I know quite well that there is NO expectation of privacy in a public place. That being said, here is my story:

Yesterday afternoon I went to the local Target, got what I needed and left. On my way out I noticed the Target security guard walking up and down the aisles of cars in the parking lot. He was cupping his hands around his face to block the suns reflection and peering into car after car. He had a clip board and appeared to be taking notes. I stood next to my car and in about 3-5 min he had “checked” about 15+ cars. And he kept going.

Now if there was a reported animal or child let in a car, I can understand what he security guard was doing. But wouldn’t he have an exact description of the car in question???

I got in my car, left and called the manager. He claimed that he did not know what the heck his security guard was doing in the parking lot as there were no reports of animals or children left in hot cars. I then asked the following question to the manager and I am going to ask it to you all:

What does Target need to look in my car for? Even if someone has stolen something, Target personnel can not give chase (I do not think they can even forcefully detain).

Again, I may be WAY too paranoid…but it is a bit disconcerting that Target feels a need to go take a look into their customers cars.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 21st, 2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Deleted a profanity workaround.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I probable would have already asked him to step away from my car if he was near it,and demand to know what he was doing.

Maybe he was "shopping"?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    What does Target need to look in my car for? Even if someone has stolen something, Target personnel can not give chase (I do not think they can even forcefully detain).
    I can't think of anything legit. Like you said, no kids or animals involved. Were it shoplifting, they might be able to detain (varies by state), but they would essentially need incontrovertible evidence of the theft (video surveillance, probably), and then they would be looking for the thief, not a car or merchandise.

Sounds pretty fishy. Are the rent-a-cops owned by Target or hired from some other company?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post

Again, I may be WAY too paranoid…but it is a bit disconcerting that Target feels a need to go take a look into their customers cars.
    We had a rash of thefts one year - out of customer cars. We conducted audits for about two weeks and determined that people were leaving their valuables in plain view in about 15% of the cars. We used that to leverage the property management to put up those stupid don't leave valuables in your car signs.

Aside from that, who cares?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post

Aside from that, who cares?

Are you asking who cares that he's looking through peoples cars and writing down what he finds? Whose to say this guard (the ones around my area and low-skill hourly workers) isn't scoping out cars to document things and tell their friends to come steal stuff out of and split the profit? Or tell his buddies about, track down the car and come back and steal it later.

Call me paranoid, but I've had one of my cars broken into once, I don't like paying 300$ for a new window,and another $180 for window tint that insurance doesn't cover (that the car came with when it was bought!)

If I see you and donot know you, and your messing around my car, you will be confronted. Cheap wishiwasacop badge or not.

Why in the world would he be out there checking out car contents? Surely it wasnt that slow in the store, was it?
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Are you asking who cares that he's looking through peoples cars and writing down what he finds? Whose to say this guard (the ones around my area and low-skill hourly workers) isn't scoping out cars to document things and tell their friends to come steal stuff out of and split the profit? Or tell his buddies about, track down the car and come back and steal it later.
    Who's to say a Cop wouldn't do the same, or a nun, or a little old lady?

Without asking to find out what was going on, we are all speculating. And unless you can prove he was casing cars, he's done nothing illegal.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

You should have asked the Target employee, directly! His reaction may have given you a better idea of his intentions or the story policy/reason for such action. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Call me paranoid, but I've had one of my cars broken into once, I don't like paying 300$ for a new window,and another $180 for window tint that insurance doesn't cover (that the car came with when it was bought!)

If I see you and donot know you, and your messing around my car, you will be confronted. Cheap wishiwasacop badge or not.
    I never said he did anything illegal.
    You justified your rant in bold above by hypothesizing that he did something illegal. My answer to that, was that he didn't do anything illegal unless you could prove your baseless speculation.

You justified your rant in bold above by hypothesizing that he did something illegal. My answer to that, was that he didn't do anything illegal unless you could prove your baseless speculation.
    I actually posed a question, read again. I asked "WHOSE TO SAY" , as I just double-checked my post. I know what I type, thank you.(once again,I never said he was in fact doing so, nor did I in fact say, he was breaking a law by looking into a vehicle. I never even mentioned the words "breaking the law" or "illegal" furthermore,in that post. ) As I previously stated, call me paranoid all you like. I'll send you the bill next time someone decides to break into my vehicle.

I see nothing good to come out of this activity. If its a child or animal in danger, why is the tool of choice a clipboard and not something to gain access into the vehicle(Assuming summertime-windows closed-person/animal locked inside.)? Why are there no LEO's to assist? Same goes for a theft or situation of true urgency (yet again, goes back to why is the tool of choice a clipboad.)

I'm sorry I'm entitled to my opinion, I work hard,and pay good money for my stuff, and prefer people I donot know or have no reason to trust to leave it alone. Period. Clearly the OP does not like the action he witnessed either, so I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Back on topic please. PM me if you need clarification.

I actually posed a question, read again. I asked "WHOSE TO SAY" , as I just double-checked my post. I know what I type, thank you.(once again,I never said he was in fact doing so, nor did I in fact say, he was breaking a law by looking into a vehicle.)
    Nor did I ever say you did. I said you hypothesized about such an activity as the basis for the guards actions. This is a non-argument: you agree with my statement at least in terms of what you said.

As I previously stated, call me paranoid all you like. I'll send you the bill next time someone decides to break into my vehicle.
    This is exactly the problem - people do try to send their bills to companies like Target when they have break-ins. So they try to be proactive and people get all bent out of shape without bothering to find out what they are doing.

I see nothing good to come out of this activity. If its a child or animal in danger, why is tool of choice a clipboard? Why are there no LEO's to assist? Same goes for a theft.

I'm sorry I'm entitled to my opinion, I work hard,and pay good money for my stuff, and prefer people I donot know or have no reason to trust to leave it alone. Period. Clearly the OP does not like the action he witnessed either, so I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Back on topic please. PM me if you need clarification.
    Why would you need to apologize, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Edited-no longer worth my time.

I can't control the general law-suit happy public, nor am I ignorant enough to try to sue a company because my car got broken into while parked in their facilities. (The most I would do is try to seek out security cams to find the perp.)

(And I fail to see how unarmed folks with clipboards looking into peoples private vehicles REALLY deters theft.)

I prefer not to have people looking through my stuff. Period. End of discussion.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm curious why you didn't ask the security guard what he was doing? And I'd also ask the Manager why he didn't know this activity was going on?

Maybe there is a logical/innocent explanation...maybe not. But I think somone peering into each person's car does appear to be weird...but don't think it is illegal.

Rick

I don't care about whether or not it was illegal. Anyone effectively inventorying the contents of my vehicle without my presence or expressed permission is one of two things:
    1) up to no good
    2) soon to be up to no good.
    Rent-a-Cop Badge, Real Badge, or not.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links